Close

Thread: 5 speed

5 speed

i am having some issues with my 5 speed in my ep3.......looks like it may be a combo of the synchros and gears......clutch feels strong and engages correctly but i still have issues going into gears, but only at higher speeds...seems to function ok at in town speeds, but it does make a noise while putting into gears even at low speeds until the clutch pedal comes out a bit.....i figure this is the best time as any to do a 6 speed swap...can the 5 speed come from anything with a 6 speed, even the new civics....please anyone with info please help....and thank you in advance

an A2 trans or a type r trans should bolt right in, a Z1 trans will also bolt in however you need an coverter box so your speedo will work i believe, but dont quote me on that hopefully some of the more knowledgeable people here will chime in
    Last edited by maribou912; 06-11-2012 at 12:50 AM.

well took the tranny out today....turn out to just be the clutch....it was an exedy kit...

there is a pic of the clutch.....what does everyone think is the best worst clutch?
    i need to get a new kit and i had a friend that had an exedy in his civic and it did the same thing

any help is greatly appreciated....

what are your power mods.. no reason to swap the clutch unless you've got upgraded power.

but.. if you have the $ to buy a 6 spd.. do it.. worth every penny.

put the clutch in today....ended up getting an Exedy OEM clutch set.....everything is alot better now....i still think there maybe some syncro issues because going into 3rd fast will get you a little grind....looks like i need to save for a 6 spd....also it seems like the clutch does grab very well...is that normal???? could just be cause it is a lot smoother than it was before with all new stuff...another ? i had was....sometimes going into 1st is a little difficult but it feels like more of a shifter issue....is there any need to lube anywhere on the shifter?

anyone?

that guy w/ the face poeticfinesse21's Avatar
    I also got a OEM exedy clutch when mine went out and yes, it does grab surprisingly well for a stock clutch. It's been over a year and 20k for me and it still grabs great. As far your shifting problems, change your trans fluid and do it often. I change my trans fluid every 10k to 15k and my trans shifts like butter even with 184k on the clock. As soon as it starts being difficult to shift, I just change the trans fluid and it's like butter again

Thread Information