Close

Input on paint colors - mystic cobra color

Hey guys, just wanted to see what the opinion might be on a color. I'd like to get my car painted, and do not want it to go back to a stock color. I think the cool thing with the ep3 si, is it was only made for a few years, and you dont see them all over the place. But when you do, they are only like 4 diff colors or so, and you can recognize the car right away.

I have always liked the color from the 90's mystic mustangs. (Its like a purple/green/orange shift color). Anyone think that would look good on the car? I also like the root beer color I saw someone else on here have, but I dont want to copy another members color/design of car. I have never seen a ep3 with the colorshift paints, but - I am also newer to the honda/ep3 game.

Here is a youtube video of the cobra it came on back in the day. So you can see the colorshift yourself. I have heard that you cant get the paint unless you can prove a cobra vin, but it shouldnt be too hard to get. lol... or make, someone has to have something very close to it. Maybe HOK?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHinCaIkfWI

It looks alright not a big fan of the chameleon color but to each their own... Only thing that matters if you like it then do it...

MANNY KID 15

I think '90s color change paint should stay in the '90s... lol

It seems like the only time you see it these days is on some riced out hoopty.

But if you like it, do it man. It's your car.

I do like it, I think at night when you get that black/purple it looks awesome, then the green and orange/purple in the sun light. Only problem is now the more reading I am doing, you cant get the paint unless you have a mystic cobra/vin. And, its expensive, but thats not so much the issue.

Maybe just a black/blue/dark purp would look better? I just want to do something that is different, GOOD, and stands out. There are plenty of eye-sore colors out there. I dont want any lambo green, lambo orange or anything super gawdy.

You could always do a metallic with a flake (I'm not talking about superflake here, but something understated and subtle) with another color in it. The way that nighthawk black pearl is with blue flake in it.

Kimber Raptor II Drunken Yak inc's Avatar
    There used to be an early 2000's VW Beetle running around that was completely stock except for the paint job. It chameleon paint, it was a very light pink to a light blue, light green and if I remember correctly, a little bit of silver. Frankly I thought it looked awesome, total chick car mind you, but looked good none the less. You won't have to jump through any hopes unless you are getting the exact factory paint the Ford used, Hell, I think my local Napa can order regular chameleon paint.

If you do mysticchrome be prepared to pay a lot just for the paint, and paint process. My understanding is that paint requires 4 base steps and costs upwards of 10k to do correct. That's not including body work

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    House of Kolor's gallery here has been my favorite place to get some ideas. Scroll down far enough and they have a few chameleon paints you could get without a cobra VIN, if you want to go that direction.

I like a lot of colors on the EP, of course the green that MoonSi did, and the red that he did, lol. But there used to be a guy on here with a Suzuka Blue like the S2000, that was pretty sick.

My favorites are usually the "one off" of a color the EP does come with. Before he did the CF wrap, Fepster had a silver with a LOT of flake in it where if you didn't know what you were looking it you'd think it was stock, but it was clearly not SSM.

In the end it's obviously up to you, I just have a hard time picturing a chameleon EP. I think hatches do better with solid colors because they're just not the "sports car" shape that benefits the most from a wacky chameleon paint.
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

Quote Originally Posted by Draw7Seven View Post
    House of Kolor's gallery here has been my favorite place to get some ideas. Scroll down far enough and they have a few chameleon paints you could get without a cobra VIN, if you want to go that direction.

I like a lot of colors on the EP, of course the green that MoonSi did, and the red that he did, lol. But there used to be a guy on here with a Suzuka Blue like the S2000, that was pretty sick.

My favorites are usually the "one off" of a color the EP does come with. Before he did the CF wrap, Fepster had a silver with a LOT of flake in it where if you didn't know what you were looking it you'd think it was stock, but it was clearly not SSM.

In the end it's obviously up to you, I just have a hard time picturing a chameleon EP. I think hatches do better with solid colors because they're just not the "sports car" shape that benefits the most from a wacky chameleon paint.

Awesome site - thanks for that! The "red to gold" looks sick as well as the "silver to green".

Also thinking that one of the gold colors, with one of the platinum colors over top might be sick. I dont think it would be a colorshift paint like the mystic cobra color.

That website really helped a lot. Shows me how many options there are. My thinking is if I do paint the car, I want it done right, and complete (not just exterior, cheap paint job). And If I am going to have it done, I want something that is custom, one off.. But not your typical solid 1 color. The "Organic Green" is nice as shit though too. I could see how every single color on their site, could look good on the car in the right combo. Their paint looks awesome. I think the mustang mystic is now out as a color after seeing some of these! :)

Legendary Ephatcher ep3moschini's Avatar
    chemelion paint sucks, EP3's dont have close to the right shape for it to work. . . STOP DESTROYING CARS

1967 Firebird. . . Yeah its alright

Legendary Ephatcher

Yeah I was never impressed with that particular paint on the Cobra, let alone on the ep3.

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    I mean, to each his own, but I figured if you looked over some of those House of Kolor paints you might get a few new ideas. If you still want a chameleon job, do it: it's your car. But I feel like our cars are sort of "chunky" as far as shape goes. Even if you slam it and just do a JDM body, it's still a very hatchy shape that doesn't complement loud colors well. Subtle colors in a nice polished finish can end up looking a lot more striking to me.
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

The mystichrome was one of the best colors to be put on the termi cobras (03-04) now, the mystichrome that was on the 98 cobra was horrible it was only purple and green whereas the 03-04 was red,green,blue,purple. Sorry but I agree it will look like total shit on an ep because the cars don't have the body lines to support it.
    Last edited by dave6riv; 05-01-2009 at 09:16 AM.

Thread Information