Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cam options.

cam options.

There's a guy on the fb group selling some never used Brian Crower stage II cams for my k24a1 for $150. They are for N/A and boost applications. Not sure what the lift angle are or anything but BC is pretty well known. Anyone use these?
    I also have some Z1 cams an rocker arms to vtec my k24a1 but im not sure what route to take.
    I don't wanna upgrade my valves, springs, guides or other parts of the head for a while but I still think the BC cams are a good investment.
    Id prrolly have to swap rocker arms again for any route I take or go back too huh
    Well what's your take guys?

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    Wow 150 is a steal wtf? So cheap and never used. I have those cams and on my super charge setup I think they weren't the best choice. If I was u, I would stick with the z1 cams u have now. And those stage 2 cams aren't aggressive, I only upgraded the springs and retainers with a set from bc to match the cams. But I still think z1 is the way to go
    Last edited by superchargedk20; 06-21-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post
    Wow 150 is a steal wtf? So cheap and never used. I have those cams and on my super charge setup I think they weren't the best choice. If I was u, I would stick with the z1 cams u have now. And those stage 2 cams aren't aggressive, I only upgraded the springs and retainers with a set from bc to match the cams. But I still think z1 is the way to go
    Wow not aggressive sounds wack.
    the cams are discontinued i think, but you can still buy them new for $250 on bc site.
    thanks for the information bro

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    They're a great set of cams, especially considering the price. There was a guy on here back when Skunk2 and BC released their cams that was actually running them without Kpro. According to him they were about as aggressive as the Skunk2 Stage I cams, which would make sense since the BC Stage II can be used for forced induction as well as NA (he said he was able to compare them with his digital caliper at a show in CA that had them both on display). At the height of the 2 lobe cams, there were about 5-7 members running the Skunk2 Stage I cams without kpro (some had 310cc injectors though) or valvetrain upgrades (some also had S2k springs, retainers, and seats) with no issues. So, if you don't have Kpro, and you're on the stock rev limit, you should be fine.

Oh, and if you end up running the cams WITH the Greddy kit, you could always get an adjustable exhaust cam gear to take a little overlap out of the exhaust cam which should spool your turbo a little faster. Eh, just a thought in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by MugenReplica View Post
    They're a great set of cams, especially considering the price. There was a guy on here back when Skunk2 and BC released their cams that was actually running them without Kpro. According to him they were about as aggressive as the Skunk2 Stage I cams, which would make sense since the BC Stage II can be used for forced induction as well as NA (he said he was able to compare them with his digital caliper at a show in CA that had them both on display). At the height of the 2 lobe cams, there were about 5-7 members running the Skunk2 Stage I cams without kpro (some had 310cc injectors though) or valvetrain upgrades (some also had S2k springs, retainers, and seats) with no issues. So, if you don't have Kpro, and you're on the stock rev limit, you should be fine.
    yeah i have kpro, i just dont want to have to worry about upgrading the rest of the valve train to run the cams.
    just wanna drop them in an tune.

Oh, and if you end up running the cams WITH the Greddy kit, you could always get an adjustable exhaust cam gear to take a little overlap out of the exhaust cam which should spool your turbo a little faster. Eh, just a thought in any case.
    i have emusa kit.
    i though all k series cam gears were adjustable thru kpro?

intake cam angles, the exhaust side is fixed, you can get an adjustable one but you'll have a good time trying to angle it on the dyno between runs lol

i have the bc cams for the a3 though and i say they are great. i would upgrade springs and such though. the single springs are garbage if ur running cams. also the bc stage 2 cams are not that agressive at all its just under a mm in extra lift but that goes a long way. i went from 151hp to over 180 with them and kpro

Quote Originally Posted by spartan View Post
    yeah i have kpro, i just dont want to have to worry about upgrading the rest of the valve train to run the cams.
    just wanna drop them in an tune.

i have emusa kit.
    i though all k series cam gears were adjustable thru kpro?
    No VCT on the exhaust. To tune it (the adjustable cam gear), you'd have to constantly pull the timing cover or make a trap door in the cover like the timing chain tensioner door. Anyways, Tony's right on that.

If you ran the turbo kit and the cams, to reduce the overlap, just run a stock a3 exhaust cam or buy the K23 exhaust cam from the RDX which was made and designed to spool a turbo quickly. I'm still surprised nobody has run one on an a3, it's the same cam setup as ours but with less overlap and better designed for a turbo setup.

Or if you're feeling really zesty and experimental track down a Honda Stream 3 lobe intake/single lobe exhaust head (similar to the K23 head, but came out in 2000-2001ish). That would be an interesting turbo combo for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    intake cam angles, the exhaust side is fixed, you can get an adjustable one but you'll have a good time trying to angle it on the dyno between runs lol
    Adjusting after every run sounds too pricey an not very worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by roomclearer View Post
    i have the bc cams for the a3 though and i say they are great. i would upgrade springs and such though. the single springs are garbage if ur running cams. also the bc stage 2 cams are not that agressive at all its just under a mm in extra lift but that goes a long way. i went from 151hp to over 180 with them and kpro
    those are some good numbers man, but like you pointed out i should upgrade valvetrain an im not ready to do that.

No VCT on the exhaust. To tune it (the adjustable cam gear), you'd have to constantly pull the timing cover or make a trap door in the cover like the timing chain tensioner door. Anyways, Tony's right on that.

If you ran the turbo kit and the cams, to reduce the overlap, just run a stock a3 exhaust cam or buy the K23 exhaust cam from the RDX which was made and designed to spool a turbo quickly. I'm still surprised nobody has run one on an a3, it's the same cam setup as ours but with less overlap and better designed for a turbo setup.

Or if you're feeling really zesty and experimental track down a Honda Stream 3 lobe intake/single lobe exhaust head (similar to the K23 head, but came out in 2000-2001ish). That would be an interesting turbo combo for sure.

I dont wanna do that at all, sounds too time consuming.

Never knew that, but would that be a better option over true vtec or vtec killer with boost?

Im not the guy to pioneer things like that haha. dont wanna fisk anything.
    Thanks for all the info buds

AKA Purple94coupe Euro-Yellow-Ep3's Avatar

Interested in this, HMMMM

i run BC stage 2 FI cams and i dont think, modestly that they are an "extreme cam" They have the perfect culmination of lift and duration and i could not be happier with them. I say pick them up man, but if you are gonna do cams, dont fuck around, just do the entire valve train, it will save headaches later on and if you run boost, its a must have
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ep3k20 View Post
    i run BC stage 2 FI cams and i dont think, modestly that they are an "extreme cam" They have the perfect culmination of lift and duration and i could not be happier with them. I say pick them up man, but if you are gonna do cams, dont fuck around, just do the entire valve train, it will save headaches later on and if you run boost, its a must have
    cheers
    again thats just the thing i don't wanna upgrade anything else on the valvetrain... yet.

Quote Originally Posted by spartan View Post
    again thats just the thing i don't wanna upgrade anything else on the valvetrain... yet.
    Still runs on the stock valvetrain. Upgraded is good and makes for for shifting mistakes, but the cams are fine on stock ECU/valvetrain.

Scoopin' em!

Going for fastest non kpro EP. Anyone got 15's to donate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information