Close

Hood release cable broken!

As the title states it seems my hood release cable is broken.
    I went to try to open my hood today to check my oil as it is near due for a change and the latch seemed to have no tension to it and it wont pop open my hood... I tried sticking a long screw driver and seeing if i could get it to open but had no luck... Any ep members have had this happen, or know how i can get it to open? Im searching the web right now to get ideas... But an ep specific answer would be great.

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by gamma6 View Post
    Anyone?
    yup had this same problem years ago. The actual cable that connects to the latch lost tension due to stress so it was not enough for it to "grab" the latch. Its an easy fix you just need a new latch/cable assembly from honda (as far as i know they still sell them) Only way i could gain access was to have someone else pull the release while i pulled up on the hood, and it would move past the safety latch part of the latch assembly so i could get in there

Thanks for the reply!!!
    But the thing is that the hood open handle feels loose and i assume the cable fell off the the latch assembly... I tried poking around thru the hood since i can push down on my bumper and get some clearance but had no luck... So i have no choice but to use a wire to see if i can get a hold of the latch or go from under the car...
    Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Bump
    Last edited by shanewdude; 03-29-2009 at 06:02 AM.

This happened to me in my 02 Civic EX. And of course I found out about it when I walked out of work at 11pm to find a dead battery. Snapped hood latch cable + dead battery + 11pm = pissed off. My dad somehow managed to unlatch the hood with a long flathead screwdriver after about an hour playing around with it, ended up scratching stuff up pretty good though. My uncle replaced the cable, it had snapped. Bumper had to come off, and he said it wasn't one the most enjoyable things to replace haha. I'd honestly just take it to a shop/dealership, they've probably dealt with this before.

Yea i tried going thru the hood and nothing... I finally went under the car yesterday and started reaching up the bay with my hand and i could feel the rad hose and the cable but no luck... I then unbolted the T-cross member that the hood latch mechanism is on tried sticking some bent wire up there and poked that around... Nothing
    So i then started yanking on the hood and i somehow managed to pull hard enough to bend that member and the bottom piece got stuck on the sub frame so the hood popped up a bit... My grill was broken from before and was held by 1 clip and a zip tie. I broke the zip tie off and pulled the grill a ways so i can reach my hand thru... I felt a hole where the cable goes thru since the mechanism was now lifted from its original position and felt for the cable and its attachment... I clipped it back in with my fingers and viola my hood opened! I checked my oil and i did need oil... Filled her back up till i change her oil next week... Im planning on buying a new assembly of the cross members and the latch assembly since the cable is fine

Thread Information