Close

Arrow Poor man's vtec ...kickin it oldschool :)

So I've been ballin on a budget for a bit now and probably will be till I complete college. Anyway I'm still in the oldschool Honda midset (last car was Crx), and miss the ingenuity that ran rampant trying to get the most bang for their buck. I know you can swap in an a2 head on our a3's to achieve "real vtec" (similar to the d series mini me's), however, our bottom ends are fairly weak compared to the a2's (mainly in the upper rpm band).My plans are to procure a crank,pistons And Rods out of an a2 if and when I find a set cheap enough (anyone with a set let me know) down the line . But I was wondering, for those of us with limited funds but still would like to hold onto some reliability if we could supplement somehow... Could I, and would it be beneficial of I were to swap an a2 head (and Ecu,etc) then wire a vtec controller to effectively lower vtec engagement from say the stock rsx point (~~~~5600 rough guess) down 1000 rpm or so ? This way you wouldn't be revving the shit out of the a3 bottom end to get up to vtec ? The numbers I just listed were arbitrary for now but to get my idea across they will suffice. I'm thinking this would be a effective way to draw out the swap process without having a shit load parts laying around and money tied up without seeing results or causing excessive wear on the bottom end. I'm just shooing around ideas and am lookin for opinions about the effectiveness or benefits that this could pose. Please no flaming, just bored at work thinking "why not?" . I am aware that this will not yield optimal performance as the vtec engagement point is set where it is for a reason, but I'm hoping that if this is possible that it migh encourage others to consider this swap more wholeheartedly. Or is this idea just a halfbaked plan to get my hands on some of that "real vtec" that all of the lucky type s guys get stock that we ep guys unfairly missed out on? Please , input would greatly be appreciated.

Cliff notes:
    Vtec controllers viable on k20a2?
    Beneficial to a2 head/a3 bottom end to lower vtec engagement to lower rev's?
    Could this extend life of a2/a3 mini me?
    Any major losses/gains/roadblocks to pursuing this endeavor?

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Check for posts started by Gearhead Geek and Anjapower. Everything with them will answer questions along with some newer posts by myself and a couple of other members.

AKA Purple94coupe Euro-Yellow-Ep3's Avatar
    I would not suggest using a Rsx Ecu. Might aswell get kpro, because by the time u buy the Ecu then take it to Honda to have it flashed with your Immobilizer. It will coat u about the same price.

Also I would suggest saving your money and buying a K24a2 from a junk yard. I'm not a fan of putting stuff together. Just get a low millage used motor and have peace of mind.
    Last edited by Euro-Yellow-Ep3; 07-03-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Registered User Her-Name's-Ally's Avatar
    not sure if its possible but you can start with stage 1 cams. dont need kpro for s1

just go through with it see what happens and let us know !!

Quote Originally Posted by MugenReplica View Post
    Check for posts started by Gearhead Geek and Anjapower. Everything with them will answer questions along with some newer posts by myself and a couple of other members.
    That was ground breaking stuff back in the day.

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by !@#$% View Post
    That was ground breaking stuff back in the day.
    Woah.
    Last edited by talonXracer; 03-30-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Thread Information