Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Top Ten Detailing Mistakes

Now I dont know how useful this might be but I felt like sharing it with you guys. Good stuff imo.

Registered User Her-Name's-Ally's Avatar
    good shii man thanks. I never knew what difference the clothes make

great video!!! tnx for share

Kimber Raptor II Drunken Yak inc's Avatar
    Only little things I would add is to make sure your detailing spray/spray wax is compatible with the type of wax you have on the car. Also, he quickly mentioned the two-bucket method, but didn't go into an explanation. Technically, you need three buckets.

1. Clean water bucket - Use this to rinse your microfiber washing mitt or natural sea sponge before dipping back into your wash bucket.
    2. Bodywork shampoo
    3. Wheel cleaner shampoo.

Word of warning, once you start really getting into detailing, you'll find yourself becoming somewhat obsessive about it... I drive my car maybe two, three times a week (when she's not being driven, she's in my garage under a car cover), yet I spend six to ten hours a week detailing her! It used to be a lot longer, obviously the more you do it the better/faster you become. Although, it doesn't help that I have a gravel driveway... So every time she comes out Its guaranteed she will need to be cleaned in some manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Yak inc View Post
    Only little things I would add is to make sure your detailing spray/spray wax is compatible with the type of wax you have on the car. Also, he quickly mentioned the two-bucket method, but didn't go into an explanation. Technically, you need three buckets.

1. Clean water bucket - Use this to rinse your microfiber washing mitt or natural sea sponge before dipping back into your wash bucket.
    2. Bodywork shampoo
    3. Wheel cleaner shampoo.

Word of warning, once you start really getting into detailing, you'll find yourself becoming somewhat obsessive about it... I drive my car maybe two, three times a week (when she's not being driven, she's in my garage under a car cover), yet I spend six to ten hours a week detailing her! It used to be a lot longer, obviously the more you do it the better/faster you become. Although, it doesn't help that I have a gravel driveway... So every time she comes out Its guaranteed she will need to be cleaned in some manner.
    It shows. Your avatar is squeaky clean

Quote Originally Posted by ctxmaginsk View Post
    It shows. Your avatar is squeaky clean
    Thanks bro! Your's looks pretty damn clean too!

I would not want to be the bird that craps on your car haha :)
    I know what you mean about it getting obsessive though. I'm really OCD about detailing my car and I'm quite sure it's not healthy. You clearly have an awesome system though, thanks for the point about the three buckets rather than two.

you're welcome. I may be a little OCD... I also have a tendency of being a tool polisher... And by tool polisher I mean actual tools like ratchets and wrenches and such lol.

I will also tell you guys (and sunshine) that the best wax I have found so far for depth of color on darker colors, and surface smoothness (running the back of your hand across the fender) is Zymol... I've tried Griots Garage Best Of Show, Meguiar's Tech NXT 2.0, Mequiar's Gold class, and currently used Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant with Wolfgang Fuzion Estate carnauba on top. I will say I really liked how easy the Wolfgang combo was to apply, hell, the spray sealant was the easiest protection I've ever applied and was fairly smooth to the touch by it's self. I will see if a second application of the Fuzion Estate will make a difference or not.

Here is a pic after applying the Fuzion Estate:

Sorry for the iPhone pics, I don't like to handle my DSLR when I'm detailing.

And sorry to the OP for derailing his thread.

Look into better waxes and sealant. Check out detailedimage and autogeek. Chem guys, poorboys world, blackfire etc

I have 4 layers on my car currently. Optimum gps>poorboys ex w/carnauba> poorboys white diamond>wolfgang fuzion estate.

Stacking the right products can make or break it!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I recently tried Zymol car shampoo. Love how it smells and the lubrication on the suds is awesome. But yeah I need a better paint job

Quote Originally Posted by whatsvtec View Post
    Look into better waxes and sealant. Check out detailedimage and autogeek. Chem guys, poorboys world, blackfire etc

I have 4 layers on my car currently. Optimum gps>poorboys ex w/carnauba> poorboys white diamond>wolfgang fuzion estate.

Stacking the right products can make or break it!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Holy shit man!

I've actually just made my first post on AutoGeek... GG Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner screwed up the finish on my StopTech calipers. I will try fixing them after work tonight.

What wheel cleaners do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    I recently tried Zymol car shampoo. Love how it smells and the lubrication on the suds is awesome. But yeah I need a better paint job
    I love the smell of their wax, it reminds me of girls in bikinis lol. I'll have to pick some of their shampoo up!

SSM EP3
    good stuff

How do you spend six to ten hours a week detailing the car if you wash it every week?

Holy shit man!

I've actually just made my first post on AutoGeek... GG Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner screwed up the finish on my StopTech calipers. I will try fixing them after work tonight.

What wheel cleaners do you use?
    P21S gel wheel cleaner or Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner. PH neutral wheel cleaners are the safest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information