Close

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I don't know how honda works, but with some car companies, you bring your car in for a rough idle, regular service interval (like 3yr/36k mi), or something like that.... and if there is a revised/improved version of the ECU out they will flash it. But you won't know until it's too late.

hey.. since i am buying a K20A2 that already has the hondata flash, when i bring the computer to the dealer to get the ECU reprogramed to accept my key.. will this erase my hondata flash??? please answer ASAP if u know.. thanks

Question for a Hondata dealer:

Do I have to go through a dealer to get the flash upgrade? Or can I remove the ECU and immobilizer and send them directly to Hondata without going through a dealer?

My nearest dealer is 60 miles away and I'd just as soon have my car sitting in my garage while I'm waiting for the unit.

I am also very unimpressed with his shop after I went there to purchase a heatshield gasket. His place is dirty & piled with junk. By the pictures on the wall and a couple of cars parked outside, he really digs turbo V-6 Buicks. there was nothing about the place that looked real import-friendly.

just buy it through clubrsx. seems to be the easiest way to do it.

Originally posted by !@#$%
    just buy it through clubrsx. seems to be the easiest way to do it.
    I wouldn't recommend buying it through ClubRSX - they do not provide any product support, or have the technical knowledge to deal with any issues. They are not really a Hondata dealer.

As I mentioned, if you are interested, work with me, I can provide essentially the same thing ClubRSX is offering, for basically the same price. And, I'll ensure your ECM's for $1000, in case they're lost or damaged.

Again, if you're interested, PM me for pricing information, and the process. Be prepared to have your car down for 3 days. ClubRSX did not accurately represent the actual downtime.

ssvr6
    $200 for a re flash? That's insane. If it get's wiped out, they should do it for like $50 or for free. GIAC (VW chip tuner) offers free upgrades when they come out with a new program. That's what I call service.

I don't want to drop $200 so I can have some guy hook my ECU up to a port a run a simple program AFTER I already paid for the program the first time. And if someone tries to say that there's $200 in labor, I'm going to be violently ill.

Steve

Sorry in advance for being an ignoramus, but I have a question - how is it that the rev limiter is raised without any work being done to the internals of the engine (valve springs/retainers etc)? There is a reason that Honda set the rev-limit where they did and I doubt that they over-engineered the hardware to the point where you can just raise the rev-limit at will without having to worry to doing any damage.

Originally posted by Burgh
    I doubt that they over-engineered the hardware to the point where you can just raise the rev-limit at will without having to worry to doing any damage.
    Well...honda did over engineer the power it COULD put out, and gave us less.

gpt
    Originally posted by Burgh
    Sorry in advance for being an ignoramus, but I have a question - how is it that the rev limiter is raised without any work being done to the internals of the engine (valve springs/retainers etc)? There is a reason that Honda set the rev-limit where they did and I doubt that they over-engineered the hardware to the point where you can just raise the rev-limit at will without having to worry to doing any damage.
    The increased rev limit is nominal +- 500 rpm. I would be more surprised if Honda did not engineer a tolerance in excess of that into their engines.

Remember cars are generally engineered to take the abuse of the average motorist, not someone who really looks after their car, like most of us here do. Also the engine would be engineered to handle an occasional (slight) overring due to a missed down shift, rather than overreving during accelaration.

Also just because you have a higher limit does not mean you have to use it all the time. Personally I would use it only occasionally.

Originally posted by gpt

The increased rev limit is nominal +- 500 rpm. I would be more surprised if Honda did not engineer a tolerance in excess of that into their engines.

Remember cars are generally engineered to take the abuse of the average motorist, not someone who really looks after their car, like most of us here do. Also the engine would be engineered to handle an occasional (slight) overring due to a missed down shift, rather than overreving during accelaration.

Also just because you have a higher limit does not mean you have to use it all the time. Personally I would use it only occasionally.
    yeah, that raised rev limit would take some responsiblility also. It's not something to be hitting all day everyday

Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

yeah, that raised rev limit would take some responsiblility also. It's not something to be hitting all day everyday
    I would never ever ever be able to control myself.. I'm constantly hitting the redline (not revlimit) all the time just to hear my baby Si sing out the beautiful sounds that she makes. That plus I'm an adrenaline junkie! :D

I believe that Hondata only charges $50 to reflash your ECU if the program gets wiped out. The $200 charge is if you want to change to a new program.

SC

Originally posted by ssvr6
    $200 for a re flash? That's insane. If it get's wiped out, they should do it for like $50 or for free. GIAC (VW chip tuner) offers free upgrades when they come out with a new program. That's what I call service.

I don't want to drop $200 so I can have some guy hook my ECU up to a port a run a simple program AFTER I already paid for the program the first time. And if someone tries to say that there's $200 in labor, I'm going to be violently ill.

Steve

From Hondata Kseries FAQ page:http://www.hondata.com/kseriesfaq.html

The charge for restoring an erased program is $50 + freight.
    Refers to "Acura Dealer", I would assume it would be the same if a Honda dealer erased it.

My bad, this is absolutely correct. You can tell I haven't had to re-flash an ECU yet!

Originally posted by SiRman
    From Hondata Kseries FAQ page:http://www.hondata.com/kseriesfaq.html

Refers to "Acura Dealer", I would assume it would be the same if a Honda dealer erased it.

ephatch member
    Anybody able to guess how much gain one would get from an intake and header upgrade PLUS the chip? I would think the RSX Flashes with intake and header upgrades would be about the same as what the Si will gain so if anybody knows anybody with an RSX with those upgrades...

And I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth it at all to upgrade the exhaust...so far I have done nothing to the car except change the gas to 89 octane...will be using higher octane next fuel up(hopefully 94 from Sunoco or something) since apparently it helps HP quite a bit plus it's freezing cold here(horrible for the engine on starts since I park outdoors but I don't have a choice) so I'm sure the air in the engine bay will be about as cold as someone in california who has a CAI if not colder(it was 15 degrees when I went to get my car this morning...that's farenheit of course or well below freezing...so even a 50 degree delta in temperature between the bay air and the outside would make it only 65 degrees in the bay...much better than say arizona?)

Anyway...plan on getting a Comptech IceBox intake upgrade, possibly headers, possibly an exhaust, and a Hondata ECU upgrade hehehe...these should make it an SVT killer

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information