Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Z3 Transmission speedomter/rpm questions

So, I just swapped my stock 5speed for an RSX case with 06 Si internals and a VSS. Using this calculator- http://www.zealautowerks.com/transcalc.php, and this picture- http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...v3-28-08re.jpg
    I am seeing that I should see reduced rpms at highway speeds. Specifically, at 60 and 80mph I should see 500-400 rpm drop, respectively. What I see instead is the exact same RPM in 6th at 60 and 80mph that I was seeing with my 5th gear of my 5 speed. Does this mean the internals aren't from an 06 Si, is the calculator wrong, or is my speedometer incorrect?

Engine is stock A3.

Registered User mitchlikesbikes's Avatar
    your VSS could be set wrong. best way to find out if your speedo is correct is to have someone drive next to you with their cruise on and have your phones ready haha.

if your speedo is correct and your RPMS really are the same, you got jewed and bought a regular rsx 6 speed

This was the user who sold it to me - http://www.k20a.org/forum/member.php?u=13541, seems like he's got rep, so I figured this was legit. I figured the only way to check was as you suggested, or get buddy-buddy with a cop and his radar gun.

Someone on facebook is suggesting I was scammed...how does one reset the vss so that it's correct? Even if it was an RSX-S internals, I should see lower RPMs based on the calculator I linked.

What year RSX did it come out of? I'm assuming it was an 02-04 since you would've had to use a signal converter with an 05-06 Type S trans and change out the shifter selectors from the EP3 selector.

Technically, yes you should see lower RPM's in 6th gear when compared to your old 5th gear. Your old 5 speed had a 4.7 final drive and the 02-04 Type S has a 4.3 final drive. Even if the new 6th gear was the same ratio as your old 5th gear, you WILL see lower RPM's regardless due to the lower FD. It could be possible that they swapped an 06 Si helical limited slip differential and with it the 4.7 FD that comes attached. That could be a cause why you're seeing the same RPM's at that speed.

I would right away pry open your driver side axle and take a flashlight to look inside and if you see a shaft at the end of the spline gear then you don't have LSD. If you see the input spline shaft of the intermediate shaft then you have LSD.

NOTE: All years 02-06 Type S do not come factory with LSD.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF EP3 View Post
    What year RSX did it come out of? I'm assuming it was an 02-04 since you would've had to use a signal converter with an 05-06 Type S trans and change out the shifter selectors from the EP3 selector.

Technically, yes you should see lower RPM's in 6th gear when compared to your old 5th gear. Your old 5 speed had a 4.7 final drive and the 02-04 Type S has a 4.3 final drive. Even if the new 6th gear was the same ratio as your old 5th gear, you WILL see lower RPM's regardless due to the lower FD. It could be possible that they swapped an 06 Si helical limited slip differential and with it the 4.7 FD that comes attached. That could be a cause why you're seeing the same RPM's at that speed.

I would right away pry open your driver side axle and take a flashlight to look inside and if you see a shaft at the end of the spline gear then you don't have LSD. If you see the input spline shaft of the intermediate shaft then you have LSD.

NOTE: All years 02-06 Type S do not come factory with LSD.
    So, I can see clear through the spline, and the guy who helped me install it said it clearly had an LSD. Also, last night, I pulled up alongside an FG, saw their digital speedo and saw I was going 5mph faster than my speedo said I was. Confirmed it again this morning with another FG, I was going 63-64, their speedometer said we were actually going 70. This agrees with another test I did where in 3rd I checked my speed at 3k rpm, speedo said 25mph. The calculator for the z3 says I should be at 30 mph, 5mph difference. So I'm almost positive it's just reading incorrectly by 5mph, possibly a little more at higher speeds.

drove with a Tom Tom this morning, according to that gears 1-4 are ~5mph off, in 5th it's 5-6mph, and in 6th is ~9-10 mph, the difference seems to increase with speed. So 70mph is actually 80..

Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
    drove with a Tom Tom this morning, according to that gears 1-4 are ~5mph off, in 5th it's 5-6mph, and in 6th is ~9-10 mph, the difference seems to increase with speed. So 70mph is actually 80..
    I have a z3 trans. This is true. Even with VSS converter it's still off.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy ep3 View Post
    I have a z3 trans. This is true. Even with VSS converter it's still off.
    Is yours in a Z3 case?

it's in an rsx case. So, update-
    Got kpro installed. Tried using the correct gear ratios for the new trans, no change on the speedometer. Tried using the RSX kal and using a 12% speedometer correction, and there's no change. What can I do in kpro to attempt to correct this???

I've done the math, based on the odometer, the speedometer is off by ~12.3%

No ideas of what I could try...?

Ryboto, couple of things:

1: the VSS correction parameter only corrects the ECU internal speed, it does not affect the speed signal sent to the cluster. So the fact that you adjusted your edu correction factor and did not see a change in the cluster.. is expected and normal.

2: ALL VSSs are NOT the same.
    Like USAFEP3 I assume you are using the VSS that is driven off the final drive, and not the 3rd gear
    (FD style VSS has the sensor / plug in the rear of the case, near the rear tranny mount
    3rd Gear VSS has the sensor on the FRONT of the case)

If you are infact using the FD VSS, know that a there is a VSS designed to work with the 4.4 FD , and one set to work with the 4.7 FD ( and im sure one for the 5.1 FDs too)

If you use a VSS designed to work with the 4.4 FD on a 4.7FD Tranny you will see MPH be understated from actual.
    If you use a VSS designed to work with the 4.7 FD on a 4.4 FD Tranny you will see MPH be over stated from actual.

I had this happen when i swapped my car to a 02/04 RSX tranny.

I would expect that the combination of the new gearing, + having the wrong VSS for the FD you have is causing your issue.

Visually, you cant LOOK at the VSS and see if its a 4.4 or 4.7 one. When i bought my 4.4 VSS to correct my issue, i put the 4.7 one next to the 4.4 one.. they were identical

* off topic, where did you get your z3 tranny internals and how much did it cost. I'm looking at this as my next upgrade.
    Last edited by cyllarus; 01-09-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyllarus View Post
    Ryboto, couple of things:

1: the VSS correction parameter only corrects the ECU internal speed, it does not affect the speed signal sent to the cluster. So the fact that you adjusted your edu correction factor and did not see a change in the cluster.. is expected and normal.

2: ALL VSSs are NOT the same.
    Like USAFEP3 I assume you are using the VSS that is driven off the final drive, and not the 3rd gear
    (FD style VSS has the sensor / plug in the rear of the case, near the rear tranny mount
    3rd Gear VSS has the sensor on the FRONT of the case)

If you are infact using the FD VSS, know that a there is a VSS designed to work with the 4.4 FD , and one set to work with the 4.7 FD ( and im sure one for the 5.1 FDs too)

If you use a VSS designed to work with the 4.4 FD on a 4.7FD Tranny you will see MPH be understated from actual.
    If you use a VSS designed to work with the 4.7 FD on a 4.4 FD Tranny you will see MPH be over stated from actual.

I had this happen when i swapped my car to a 02/04 RSX tranny.

I would expect that the combination of the new gearing, + having the wrong VSS for the FD you have is causing your issue.

Visually, you cant LOOK at the VSS and see if its a 4.4 or 4.7 one. When i bought my 4.4 VSS to correct my issue, i put the 4.7 one next to the 4.4 one.. they were identical

* off topic, where did you get your z3 tranny internals and how much did it cost. I'm looking at this as my next upgrade.
    Feels so good when pupils of mine listen, learn and teach others!

P.S. Yes, the FD VSS sensors LOOK identical but they are inf act two completely different part numbers. I remember verifying this awhile ago with IPB pictures from Honda.

All of this combined brain power and no one thought to ask about tire size?

Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
    it's in an rsx case. So, update-
    Got kpro installed. Tried using the correct gear ratios for the new trans, no change on the speedometer. Tried using the RSX kal and using a 12% speedometer correction, and there's no change. What can I do in kpro to attempt to correct this???

I've done the math, based on the odometer, the speedometer is off by ~12.3%
    KPro adjustments will not affect your speedo. Only the tune and its results...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information