Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    So, I likely have the RSX VSS? I will be PISSED if that's the solution. I sold the EP3 trans with the VSS because everyone swore up and down they were the same.

'04 RSX-S: 78410-S6M-N01
    '04 EP3: 78410-S6M-N01
    '03 RSX-S: 78410-S6M-N01
    '03 EP3: 78410-S5T-901
    '02 RSX-S: 78410-S6M-N01
    '02 EP3: 78410-S5T-901

Are those part numbers correct? I have an 04', so I'd need the N01, but it seems like it's the same as the RSX VSS??

You need this sensor:

78415-S5T-901

Hondapartsunlimited.com has it for $72 brand new, if you can afford that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    Yes please if you dont mind.
    OMG you're killing me ! Do you know what a PITA that was to get out with the tranny in the car.

But for the sake of K-series geekery I will try this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF EP3 View Post
    You need this sensor:

78415-S5T-901

Hondapartsunlimited.com has it for $72 brand new, if you can afford that.
    For an 04 EP3??
    If I look it up on that website, I find this page-
    http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/p...clutch-release

and it says it's this one-
    78410-S6M-N01 SENSOR ASSY., SPEED

Quote Originally Posted by cyllarus View Post
    OMG you're killing me ! Do you know what a PITA that was to get out with the tranny in the car.

But for the sake of K-series geekery I will try this weekend.

LOL! Yeah i feel yah... one plug and one bolt... but its harder to get to in the EP than it is for me. Sometimes i forget i have more room to play with. : (

Ive been scouring k20a.org and i havent found anything stating a difference between the two VSS sensors (as far as swapping into another chassis is concerned). Its funny because i would think it would be something important they would list, because so many make a huge deal over which primary o2 sensor youre supposed to use... but the EP3 sensor works fine (they suggest OE RSX-S *ONLY*).
    Last edited by Ba82Ep3; 01-16-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Ive been scouring k20a.org and i havent found anything stating a difference between the two VSS sensors (as far as swapping into another chassis is concerned). Its funny because i would think it would be something important they would list, because so many make a huge deal over which primary o2 sensor youre supposed to use... but the EP3 sensor works fine (they suggest OE RSX-S *ONLY*).
    Well, they're two different part numbers, but some years the RSX and EP3 share the same part....there HAS to be a difference, or mine would work, yea? They're all about the same cost though, ~$70.

Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
    Well, they're two different part numbers, but some years the RSX and EP3 share the same part....there HAS to be a difference, or mine would work, yea? They're all about the same cost though, ~$70.

Is your VSS 04? Mine is off my 05 EP trans... what years VSS's are shared? I still cant find anything definitive on k20a. : /

Is your VSS 04? Mine is off my 05 EP trans... what years VSS's are shared? I still cant find anything definitive on k20a. : /
    Only way to know is to look up part numbers, which I'll do now. I don't know what year the VSS in the trans came from, just swapped it and figured it'd be fine since the seller said it should be the same.

02-03 78410-S5T-901 SENSOR ASSY., SPEED

04-05 78410-S6M-N01 SENSOR ASSY., SPEED

RSX Base 02-04 78410-S7A-G01 SENSOR ASSY., SPEED (NS)

RSX Type S 02-04 78410-S6M-N01 SENSOR ASSY., SPEED

Oddly, for the 05-06 base, it shows the picture for the speed sensor, but doesn't list it in the parts below. Same for the Type-S, but the picture is different for 06.

that guy w/ the face poeticfinesse21's Avatar
    05-06 RSX had an electronic VSS just like the 06+ civic si so you should just disregard those years. 04-05 EP3 and all 02-04 RSX all have the same VSS as they all shared the same size wheels and tires (16"x6.5" +45 wheels and 205/55/16 tires). 02-03 EP3 came with 15"x6" +45 wheels and 195/60/15 tires but even if for some reason you had a VSS from a 02-03 EP3 then your speedo should only be off by 2.7%. This is truly a head-scratcher

Registered User gtimportfanatic's Avatar
    like said before Ryan, it's 05-06 rsx's use electrical speed sensors, they wont be the same.. if you don't figure it out by the time you come over to do the swap, i can swap mine with yours, do a test drive before the swap and see what happens.

Registered User gtimportfanatic's Avatar
    step by step how i got mine corrected:

when i did my 6spd swap which is set up identical to how Ryan has his, 02-04 case with inside of an SI, realistically the only difference is the 6th gear and the LSD.

i used my 5spd VSS, and the speedometer was really off, i thought my car was stupid fast, but then i got next to my boys SI and his speedo read 70mph, mine was around 82 or so. i dealt with this for a few weeks then things started to get weird. The speedo would jump around, work when it felt like it until one day it just stopped all together. i hit up my friend that built the trans for me and he said it was probably just the speed sensor, he said he had one laying around i could use and if it worked i could keep it. Tried it, problem fixed, did the same thing with my friends SI and we were pretty much spot on when it came to speed.

But, one day i decided to wash my bay and for some reason i had unplugged my sensor and water got in it, speedo started acting up again i thought for sure i fucked it up, but when i got home i used air to blow it out, then i applied Di-electric grease to the plug. Problem fixed, never had an issue again, this was over a year ago

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information