Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    that guy w/ the face poeticfinesse21's Avatar

Winter tire suggestions

I'm contemplating picking up some winter tires for my stock 15's. Tire size will be either 205/60/15 or 215/60/15. I don't know much about winter tires (studless, studdable, performance?) so I wanna know what would be good for my weather. I live in chicago so winters here are always freezing (-5 to 10 degree windchill). Out of the 6 years I've lived here, I've only seen 2 winters with real heavy snowfall and 1 winter with barely any snow. Help me out

I had good luck last winter with studless Bridgestone Blizzak in 195/60R15's. We got some deep snow in Eastern Washington State here last year and my Civic hung with the best of them. In fact, my roommate and I decided that it was safer to take my EP3 than it was his 4WD Ford Explorer. Just remember that you still need to brake early and turn gently.

Studless work best for all around winter tire. The 205 will give you better snow ability.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

general tire altimax artic... F'n incredible snow tires. ive had them on my stock 15s for 2 seasons now. i am actually trying to sell them (4 wheels w/tires) now that i got a DD... easily the best addition to the car ive ever made.

I'm leaning more to either the dunlops or altimax artics......anyone ever tried these?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/205-60R15-Ni...ht_3639wt_1176

I have these on my EP3 right now and I couldn't ask for more. Any conditions (DWS) these tires deal with hands down. I won't even think of buying anything else next time.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS

Quote Originally Posted by mage182 View Post
    I have these on my EP3 right now and I couldn't ask for more. Any conditions (DWS) these tires deal with hands down. I won't even think of buying anything else next time.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS
    Thanks but I'm not interested in all-seasons and they don't even make that tire in my wheel size (stock 15's)

Blizzaks are the best hands-down. My 2 good friends have worked at Sears Auto/Tire and have been selling tires for 3 years. That's all they ever use, and that's what they always tell people to get. And DON'T get studded tires, no need for where you live. I personally have Firestone Winterforces on 14"s and have 0 complaints. I wasn't working at the time and they got me 40% off so I went with it. I was pretty skeptical with the price, but honestly they were awesome last winter.

I've narrowed it down to blizzaks, dunlop graspics or continental extremewintercontacts. I've heard people's experience with dunlops and blizzaks, anyone tried the continentals?

Quote Originally Posted by poeticfinesse21 View Post
    I'm leaning more to either the dunlops or altimax artics......anyone ever tried these?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/205-60R15-Ni...ht_3639wt_1176
    I live in Massachusetts and two years ago we had a Horrific winter, General Altimax Arctic did and awesome job. I wouldn't even buy a different winter tire. They brake like crazy on snow and are awesome on the highway, hydroplane resistance and even on ice.

I have them mounted on my HFP wheels 215/45 17 on 17x7 +45 and I have never gotten stuck with them. Two seasons down and plenty thread left.

Buying my wife a set this winter for her TL Type S

On these wheels:

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyMETHOD View Post
    I live in Massachusetts and two years ago we had a Horrific winter, General Altimax Arctic did and awesome job. I wouldn't even buy a different winter tire. They brake like crazy on snow and are awesome on the highway, hydroplane resistance and even on ice.

I have them mounted on my HFP wheels 215/45 17 on 17x7 +45 and I have never gotten stuck with them. Two seasons down and plenty thread left.
    Quote Originally Posted by differentK View Post
    general tire altimax artic... F'n incredible snow tires. ive had them on my stock 15s for 2 seasons now. i am actually trying to sell them (4 wheels w/tires) now that i got a DD... easily the best addition to the car ive ever made.
    Did you guys use them with studs or without?

+1 for General Altimax tires.

Best bang for buck, works great in deep snow!

No studs. Not needed unless more than half your winter is ice (mountain roads And Canada)

Looks like most likely I'm gonna go with altimax's. Now my other question is what tire width do you guys recommend? I'm currently on 225/50/15 all season falken's cuz I believe more rubber on the road is what our heavy-ass cars need.....but I know with winter tires it's recommended that you go down a size in width. I've never understood why so, should I go with 205/60/15 or 215/60/15?

Use stock size for winter.

Thinner tire cut better through snow. I think they add more stability then wider tires when going through deep snow but that's just my reasoning(time for a tire expert to chime in)

More sidewall will protect better if you slide into a curb, newly dug plow potholes, etc. Plus cheaper I think.
    Last edited by dirtyMETHOD; 08-11-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information