Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation 04 ep3 k20a help me!!!!!! NOVA

ok so i bought this ep3 from a friend of mine after he blew up the original engine the k20a3 i belive so he swapped the engine for a edm k20a out of a rsx then he lost his job and couldnt make his payments anymore long story short i got a stupid deal for the car i honestly dont know anything about the k series im well versed in d series and b series and even f and j series but k series i know nothing about them can somebody please help me

2004 honda civic si
    k20a 43,000 miles 45,000 now my dd out of a edm rsx have no idea which model
    5 lug
    5 speed ep3 trans
    k20a2 ecu from what i know

ok now to the issues
    the car feels like its way underpowered i dont know any specs on the engine or if anything is wrong with it i know it has a prc intake manifold on it with a short ram intake stock exhaust has k20a stamped on the block plate under the throttle body on the engine

well my issue is when i go past 5,800 rpms the car falls on its face up untill redline but it pulls hard befor that rpm range and then nothing and i have stock exhaust and pipeing stock header with a empty cat shell as a test pipe i am slowly collecting parts to make the car the way i want it but its slow going right now tryin to find wheels first is main goal right now so please help me figure this out it really sucks for getting on the interstate or even going out for a drive im located in fredericksburg va pm me if u can help or post on here i think i need a new ecu but im not 100% sure any advice helps thanks alot everybody

Registered User Her-Name's-Ally's Avatar
    k pro? dyno?

neither stock ecu i think and i have no idea if its ever been on a dyno but i need to figure this out asap

you should find somebody close that has kpro and see if that fixes the problem.

i dont have any friends that have anything k series they all tell me i am wasteing my money with k series but i couldent pass up this deal for the car i would love to meet some people with some nice ep3s but i only know one person with one and he acctually sold it last night lol i wish i could afford kpro but i cant wait or afford it my wife would flip out if i spent 900+ on just a ecu and thats without tuneing and dyno time its just alot of money that i dont have and i need to figure this out asap if you have any ideas pleazse let me know

Registered User mitchlikesbikes's Avatar
    if it's an EDM engine out of an rsx it's possible that it's just another k20a3. check the block stamp and figure out exactly what engine is in there. also pull the glove box and find out which ecu you have. people will be able to help you a lot more with that information.

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    So ur block says k20a? But ur running a type s ecu?

i know the block stamp says k20a and i dont even know how to check the ecu or where its located how do i get to to and tell which one it is?

Registered User mitchlikesbikes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by epctr04 View Post
    i know the block stamp says k20a and i dont even know how to check the ecu or where its located how do i get to to and tell which one it is?
    an edm rsx wouldn't have come with a k20a though. that's what's throwing me off. edm rsx came with a k20a2.
    either way if you have a k20a you need a type r ecu or k pro

Maybe he has the wrong ecu and vtec isn't engaging. When does it cross over on a k20a? He says it falls flat at 5800. U have a intake. U should def tell if it crosses over

i know the block says k20a and its not scratched off or ground by any grinder or anything and my friend bought the engine as a front clip it was a rsx front clip like a whole front end and all i know is that its running the ecu that came with it see now i have been reading that the rsx came with a k20a the base? i guess i know the front end my friend bought was rhd but was damaged and the front clip had edm k20a written on the hood when it was delivered so the only thing i got to see was the engine and the ecu came from the clip everything else was sold or scrapped b4 i got the car so i have no idea what to do

it sounds like its engageing but im not 100% sure i know that b series d series engage alot harder the k series sound wise i guess i dont know alot about them i know that at 5,800 it feels like it has power but after 6,000 it just falls on its face and bogs but dosnt die

A base rsx comes with a k20a3 same as what ur SI originally had in it. Edm ep3 type r has a k20a2. Jdm ep3 has a k20a. I don't know what an edm rsx comes with. But im pretty sure only the jdm ep3 and integra r have k20a's in em. And the fact that u say it " sounds" like it crosses over makes me beleive that it doesn't. A k series true vtec is loud and very distinct. U should very easily tell when it crosses over especially with an intake

ok so what ur saying is that the k20a is out of the civic type r? thats cool well this one came out of an rsx so an itr? and see i wish somebody on here lived close to come check it out to tell me for sure whats going on ill take them for a test drive to show what im talking about and so i should try and find a civic type r ecu or and rsx/integra type r ecu will it plug right in?

Do a 2nd and 3rd gear pull and post it up. We will def know if vtec is engaging. and for the price of an ecu ur better off getting kpro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information