Close

SSM EP3

Race between my ep3 and friends dc5

My friend just bought a 2002 Type S and i wanted to run my EP3 against his to really see the difference. His DC5 is completely stock. My EP3 is fully gutted in the back, Race mounts, cheap ebay intake, stage 1 performance clutch, 8 pound flywheel and other things that might not really make a difference in performance.

Well we did about 3 runs, every run ended up the same.. I was in the lead in 2nd,3rd gear but when 4th gear hits my boys dc5 is just out on me lol Thats that true Vtec power! This is the first time i ran against a k20a2 and im convinced that i have to swap out my motor and trans. I will build on from there by getting a real good intake, better throttle body, maybe skunk2 intake manifold, buddyclub race headers, buddyclub exhaust and k-pro to top it off.. I might even do some crazy cam set up if that's not enough lol
    Anybody have a set up like this on their EP3? If so what are your numbers? :)

Thanks for reading! :)

that guy w/ the face poeticfinesse21's Avatar
    Just swap in a 06-08 K24A2, with a cold air intake, race headers and exhuast, you will rape your friend's RSX every time lol. Don't bother with the skunk2 manifold, it's been proven to make the same power as a RBC or RRC manifold: http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64519

SSM EP3
    Quote Originally Posted by poeticfinesse21 View Post
    Just swap in a 06-08 K24A2, with a cold air intake, race headers and exhuast, you will rape your friend's RSX every time lol. Don't bother with the skunk2 manifold, it's been proven to make the same power as a RBC or RRC manifold: http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64519
    But i just dont want to keep the a3 bottom end. Doesnt everybody say it is good for high revs and what not? Thats my main reason for wanting a swap

Quote Originally Posted by fdnyjon View Post
    But i just dont want to keep the a3 bottom end. Doesnt everybody say it is good for high revs and what not? Thats my main reason for wanting a swap
    I'm confused lol. I did suggest a swap, the K20A3 is useless unless you want good gas mileage
    Last edited by Unknownally; 04-04-2009 at 11:13 AM.

SSM EP3
    oops sorry i thought you wrote just to swap in the k24A2 head lol sorryyy.. Is that swap cheaper than k20a2?

Yes and no. K20A2 swap and you'll need the K20A2 trans with it. You could use your 5-speed but you will fall out of vtec when you shift gears so it's recommended that you get a 6-speed with that swap. And you don't need k-pro with that swap either, you can just reflash the K20A2 ECU to match your key but you won't get the swap's full potential without k-pro.

For the K24A2, you need k-pro or else you won't be able to start the motor. You can use your 5-speed trans with the K24A2 swap and you'll need the CR-V passenger motor mount cuz the K24 is about 10 or 12mm taller than the K20's. There's a few more details I'm leaving out for each swap but there's not much difference in cost or difficulty, the K24A2 swap might even be cheaper.

SSM EP3
    Hmmm... Well I might be able to buy a k20a2 tranny off the same guy who sold my friend the type S. The tranny has around 40,000 miles on it but he said that the second gear was almost done.. What do u think is a good price to offer him because I think it would be good to buy it and rebuild or w.e so i could swap in when im ready..

I really want to get the most information possible before I jump into a swap of any kind because I dont want to waste money on something that could have been better.

Thanks for the info

Trust me man, K24A2 is the way to go. With just a few bolt ons and a good tune, you'll see 220 whp and 190 lbs/ft of torque. If you like revving your motor to 8500 rpms and beyond then K20A2 is the way to go but if you wanna make some serious power without boost, K24A2 all day. I've done my research on all the K-motors and I'm saving all my pennies for a K24A2, specifically one from a 06-08 TSX. Those years come with the best OEM cams, even better than Type-R cams.

SSM EP3
    Trust me man, K24A2 is the way to go. With just a few bolt ons and a good tune, you'll see 220 whp and 190 lbs/ft of torque. If you like revving your motor to 8500 rpms and beyond then K20A2 is the way to go but if you wanna make some serious power without boost, K24A2 all day. I've done my research on all the K-motors and I'm saving all my pennies for a K24A2, specifically one from a 06-08 TSX. Those years come with the best OEM cams, even better than Type-R cams.
    lol okay, Yea im trying to go all motor so maybe k24A2 is the way to go for me as well.. Why wouldn't the K24A2 rev as much as k20A2?

I'm confused lol. I did suggest a swap, the K20A3 is useless unless you want good gas mileage
    Unless you boost it, then you get great gas milage + being fast.

Completely agree, you get more torque. The k20a2 just revs high and makes the same power as a k24a2. Look at an S2000 sure great a 9k rev limit some good hp but torque and no pull.
    Last edited by makavelibranded; 08-14-2012 at 01:14 AM.

K24 doesn't need to rev as high as the K20 engines because longer stroke = higher piston speeds at lower RPM's. You will be making power earlier than the K20A2.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF EP3 View Post
    K24 doesn't need to rev as high as the K20 engines because longer stroke = higher piston speeds at lower RPM's. You will be making power earlier than the K20A2.
    This is true, a K24 at 8000 rpms has a higher piston speed than a K20 at 9000 rpms but like you said, peak power and torque will come around 3000 or 4000 rpms in a K24 where as in a K20 you have to wait until about 6000 rpms

Thread Information