Close

Angry Some scuff/rub mark assistance please...

So, my neighbor is a jackass. And neither he nor his jackass wife knows how to park.

One of these morons left two nice white scuff marks on my driver side fender and door. As of last night, it is safe to say we are not friends.

At any rate, I washed the car and gave her a good rub down but the white paint didn't budge. Any suggestions short of a body shop? I am gonna have these two and two other dings smoothed out with paintless dent repair before the weather cools down too much.

This makes me angry. I dont like being angry.

Try some tar and wax remover, a less abrasive wax, last resort paint thinner. Ive used the thinner on my car so it's not bad.just be careful.

I have some tar remover somewheres. As far as the thinner goes, how would you suggest I use it? I would assume a microfiber cloth, blot and light rubbing? Due to evaporation after sunset would probably be a good idea.

Kimber Raptor II Drunken Yak inc's Avatar
    1st, I would try some alcohol and a microfiber.

2nd, I would try a clay bar with a spray detailer.

3rd, I would grab a small foam pad and some Mequier's 105 compound and try to remove it by hand.

4th, I would try the same but with an Random Orbital Polisher.

5th, after exhausting every other option I would use paint thinner, sprayed on the rag. Wipe the surface down and then flood the surface with water afterwards.

Regardless of which step you use, put a coat of wax on the area you are working on afterwards. Whenever dealing with paint, it is suggested to always try the least "aggressive" method first.

Use WD-40 I have takin out scuffs with that stuff.

Kimber Raptor II Drunken Yak inc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st View Post
    Use WD-40 I have takin out scuffs with that stuff.
    That's actually a pretty damn good suggestion, I had completely forgotten about WD-40's cleaning ability!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Yak inc View Post

3rd, I would grab a small foam pad and some Mequier's 105 compound and try to remove it by hand.

5th, after exhausting every other option I would use paint thinner, sprayed on the rag. Wipe the surface down and then flood the surface with water afterwards.

Regardless of which step you use, put a coat of wax on the area you are working on afterwards. Whenever dealing with paint, it is suggested to always try the least "aggressive" method first.

Gotcha. Gonna wait until sunset. Probably try the WD40 first as that has worked on lighter paint rubs in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Yak inc View Post

As a detailer, this, to a T! This will take the harsh scuff out. Definitely call around to local dent removal places as well. That debt can be fixed.

For paint transfer removal I would definitely try a physical method first.
    I have had my best results with the clay, this will help most with physically removing and cleaning the surface of your paint. Make sure to get a quality brand like clay magic. Use generous amounts of quik detail/clay lube. It'll come off

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by whatsvtec; 09-03-2012 at 10:33 AM.

I appreciate the input all.

I liked the car at first glance, but not fond of the black. Unfortunately the only three available when looking were two black and one beat to snot silver. Its not keeping her clean that I dont like, its the way all the imperfections stand out.
    Someday a respray in Championship White or the old Pheonix Yellow will happen...someday...

get the car detailed man, a good buff and it will look absolutely amazing!!!

Well, I lucked out. I used some Turtle Wax bug and tar remover (or some such thing) worked great. Clay barred the side and waxed her up.
    Now the dings really stand out.
    It'll be a couple more weeks until vacation then she goes in to get the dents worked out and a couple other things that need tending to.

Thread Information