Close

Thinking about boost!!

Well, as the title states... I'm considering boost on the EP!
    Current mods:

Stock k20a3 (87,000 miles but only 30,000 on the head)
    Injen Short Ram
    DC Shorty Header
    GReddy Evo2 cat-back
    *I will be getting Kpro if I decide to boost*

I can't decide on whether or not I want a T/C or an S/C thought I'm leaning toward S/C for reliability (car is a DD). I've been researching for hours and for my goal (around 250-280 hp) it seems the T/C will easily get that (with capabilities of higher hp) while the S/C will pretty much be maxed out at 200-230 without cams and a race header. After reading, most people are running anywhere from 6-9 lbs of boost safely on the A3 with no problems and making around 250-260 hp if not more with supporting parts (that's that it seems like anyway).

Any input would be appreciated to maybe persuade me in one direction. Please and Thank you!

Finally, I've been looking at various turbo kits and this one (which is stickied on the forums) http://www.speedyracer.com/turbo/tur...P3-K20-Bolt-on is WAY cheaper than all the others. Why is that?

Again, thanks for the input and sorry for being a newbie :)

This has probably been covered a zillion times, but I'll play along A supercharged ep is just a ton of fun, the low end torque is perfect for daily driving. Reliability is pretty good though things can go wrong. Still a supercharger is a cinch to install and can be swapped back out for the stock intake/manifold in an afternoon, if it's a car you absolutely need to get you a2b everyday that's something to consider. In my very own humble opinion the supercharger provides a very usable and linear power curve which puts it right in line with a significant improvement in acceleration and rawness that should have been shipped overseas in the first place. You'll be able to break one wheel traction, pull out into heavy traffic and make way on freeway on ramps with confidence and inspiration.

I'm not familiar with the speedy racer turbo kit, usually though turbo kits require at least some extras and modification to work with a specific application. The extras can add up and the modifications can equal quite a bit of car downtime to get sorted out, all that said any quality issues with the parts selected and modifications anywhere in the build can compound the overall reliability of the turbo and the engine itself. Select your kit wisely, price almost always reflects quality and for a daily driver you want everything to go extremely smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by MR.Pizza View Post
    if it's a car you absolutely need to get you a2b everyday that's something to consider. In my very own humble opinion the supercharger provides a very usable and linear power curve which puts it right in line with a significant improvement in acceleration and rawness that should have been shipped overseas in the first place. You'll be able to break one wheel traction, pull out into heavy traffic and make way on freeway on ramps with confidence and inspiration.
    Yea, I know it has been covered and sorry for the repost :p I just like to get an opinion about things. As far as what's quoted, yeah, it is the car that gets me a2b everyday so I want as little down time as possible (though I would be doing this over a holiday or long break) and basically that would improve my liking to the car (which I already love) a lot. I just want that feel of having more power and knowing that around 250 or more can be made, really helps me out.

Thanks for you opinion, hopefully some others will chime in here and there :)

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    Man, this has been beaten to death , but here goes. It all depends on you. Nobodys opinion here should matter. What are your goals? both are reliable when done right. How much hp do u want to make? do u plan on making more power down the road? Do you have money just in case something goes wrong? These are the questions you need to ask yourself. Once u figure that out your choice will be simple.

Oh I know it has been posted and re-posted and I apologize for doing it again like every other noob :) Seriously though I'm looking to make in the ballpark of 250-280 hp on a stock A3 and hopefully around 6-8 lbs of boost. Basically picked to do a turbo build because when it comes time to do the k24 swap I can easily swap over the turbo and make even more power.
    And yes, by the time I get ready for the build I will have money saved for the unexpected. So well... I guess I just answered my question lol but thanks for you input

Thread Information