Close

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Turbo build .. the journey continues

Hows it going peeps,

Well I thought I would go ahead and start a thread to help keep me on track with my current build. I am currently deployed in Afcrackistan so the process will be a little slow till I get home in 4 months ( man the days cant go by fast enough), so bear with me. I have a buddy of mine who is going to store my parts for me and help me out with little things that I might need done before I get home (thanks D). I will have him send pics of the parts I get to help with the documentation. When I get home I will try and get a more pics of the step by step process to help anyone who might have questions or someone who is doing a similar build. I plan on taking my time and doing it right this time as I have a little history with Boo I finally know how I want her and how I want her to run.

A little history about Boo, I purchased her in December of 2003 and once I installed a CAI I was hooked and its been all down hill from there. Some of the setups I have had include .... full bolt on a3 w/ skunk2 stg1 cams, k20/k24 frank swap, k20/k24 frank boosted (melted a piston), a3 turbo (254whp on 91), k24a1 boosted (320whp), k24a1 w/vtec killer (220whp), k24a1 w/vtec killer boosted (407whp on 100oct).

On my last set up the rings were starting to go, so after that 407whp pull she started having major blow by. I took to the track anyways since it was going to be my last time before I left so if she let go o well haha. she ended up running a 12.7 while loosing boost (she held 19psi on the dyno, at the track she was only getting up to 14psi). So now after throwing so many set-ups around I finally have it down haha. So here we are, below I have my parts list and I some pics of how she sits till I get home. Enjoy and I look forward to starting this new set-up

Parts being purchased through the next 4 months...

04' K24a2
    - Type S oil pump
    - OEM head gasket
    - ARP Headstuds
    - Type S head w/ 06 Si intake cam and 04 tsx exhaust cam

Turbo Set-up
    - OBX Top mount & DP =Purchased 10/15
    - Just-Intercoolers 23x11x3 (vertical flow Intercooler)=Purchased 12/28
    - Tial MVR wg44mm w/9psi spring=Purchased 12/29
    - HKS SSQV 4 BOV=Purchased 12/28
    - 2.5in universal intercooler piping kit (ebay special) My buddy will help me fab these up*=Purchased 12/28
    - Precision 66mm Turbo 6665E v-band .82 A/R =Purchased 12/15

Supporting Mods
    - DeatschWerks 300lph = Purchased 12/18
    - Type S SPEC Stg3+ Clutch kit = Purchased 11/28
    - K-tuned Fuel rail w/ efi fittings, fuel pressure guage, and Idle air assist delete kit = Purchased 11/21
    - K-tuned FPR w/fiitings = Purchased 12/18
    - DeastchWerks fuel pump relay kit
    - Blox Spherical front LCA kit= Purchased 12/18
    - Blox Subframe collar kit= Purchased 12/18
    - Karcepts A/C & P/S removal kit=Purchased 12/28
    - AEM Oil Pressure Guage=Purchased 12/28

Parts currently on the car
    - DW 1000cc injectors
    - Hondata 4 bar map sensor
    - Hondata boost control solenoid
    - Golden Eagle Vacuum block
    - AEM UEGO AFR guage
    - Kpro
    - OBX lsd
    - RBC mani

Pics of how she sits at home waiting for me

Pictures from my last set-up

Last edited by 1GR8EP3; 07-29-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Reserved

very nice number u hit and the new setup sounds like fun for sure, but be careful with the sidewinder of choice, theres two members on crsx that are locals too and they are having major tuning issues with boost creep and are super mad that the manifold is the problem. Just a heads up pal..

gl

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    Bump for u. You were the reason I went k24 turbo. I'll be watching all ur progress here bro. Good luck man, can't wait to see the finals

Quote Originally Posted by monjarassi View Post
    very nice number u hit and the new setup sounds like fun for sure, but be careful with the sidewinder of choice, theres two members on crsx that are locals too and they are having major tuning issues with boost creep and are super mad that the manifold is the problem. Just a heads up pal..

gl
    I appreciate it, and thanks for the heads up... thats a good thing to know before I spend the cash on something that doesnt work. I am really trying budget as much as I can but if the manifold continues to give people problems I might have to save up and just get a full race or used peakboost mani. I was actually trying to find a mani like yours but they are hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post
    Bump for u. You were the reason I went k24 turbo. I'll be watching all ur progress here bro. Good luck man, can't wait to see the finals
    Thanks bro, I watch your vids man and makes me miss that old set up.... its alot of fun for sure haha

Np. I think it's the design of the runners and wg placement that's causing issues. After research my manifold happens to be a peakboost top mount and is rare as fawk. But there's a few decent priced sidewinders on k20a.

After you said that I went on crsx and found a thread where one of the guys was using the plm kit, I also found out that it comes with a 2.5in dp so I am sure that doesnt help the problem. Tonight when I get off work I will check out k20a.org and see what mani are for sale. Today I will prob order my pistons and ring set so I can get this ball rollin.

Also I noticed your all over on crsx haha,... Keep me posted if you see any mani's that are a hell of deal, I seen that custom stainless sidewinder on crsx but the guy wants 1k for it. Not sure if I want to get that, I should shoot him a pm to see if he will take less.

Quote Originally Posted by monjarassi View Post
    Np. I think it's the design of the runners and wg placement that's causing issues. After research my manifold happens to be a peakboost top mount and is rare as fawk. But there's a few decent priced sidewinders on k20a.
    How close is that obx top mount to yours?? Or have you heard anything about it?
    Q

Quote Originally Posted by 1GR8EP3 View Post
    After you said that I went on crsx and found a thread where one of the guys was using the plm kit, I also found out that it comes with a 2.5in dp so I am sure that doesnt help the problem. Tonight when I get off work I will check out k20a.org and see what mani are for sale. Today I will prob order my pistons and ring set so I can get this ball rollin.

Also I noticed your all over on crsx haha,... Keep me posted if you see any mani's that are a hell of deal, I seen that custom stainless sidewinder on crsx but the guy wants 1k for it. Not sure if I want to get that, I should shoot him a pm to see if he will take less.
    hahah, i keep u updated on the mani search if i see something..

Quote Originally Posted by 1GR8EP3 View Post
    How close is that obx top mount to yours?? Or have you heard anything about it?
    Q
    Okay on the obx top mount ive seen on k20a bing used and havent heard any problems what so ever but the fitment on our cars is tight i mean tight.

You will need to remove the brace that under the steering rack and if using a 44mm wg u will need to go with t1r tie rodends for clearance issues. My top mount is real tight back there and id assume the same off obx, their identical to be honest..

I already removed that brace with the last kit but I didnt know I was going to need the t1r tie rods, its a good thing I was looking at them anyways haha. I will probably purchase the manifold last in less something pops up. I will keep this as a backup plan.

Quick update... My ARP headstuds got to the house yesterday and the Eagle Rods will be there on Monday. Ordered my ACL bearings and my buddy has the TSX pistons on the way. LaskeyRacing emailed me a qoute to put if all together, so I will be taking a little vacation to LA to have it done and see the sites haha. Also ordering the Turbo manifold this week.

I will try to get some pics up of this stuff.. soon.

Here are the details of what LaskeyRacing will be doing to the short block.
    - bore and hone and hot tank block
    - surface deck
    - balance crank and polish journals/clean oil galleys
    - balance rot. assembly, blue print engine (you get spec sheet) and
    assemble.

sounding good

Indeed I am just glad to get the ball rolling but now its going to come to a short halt after I get the pistons coated. I am going to get my savings up before I come home then order the rest of the goodies.

Another thing I didnt account for was our other ep needs new shocks, motor mounts, and tires. Our other ep is a daily A-B'r so I am putting a six speed to get some better gas mileage, I predict 400 to a tank after the tranny swap. Man so much stuff to do when I get home... O well lookin forward to it haha.

Got a couple pics in from my wifey .. My buddy Should be getting a couple of my mani, then once the pistons get coated I will post the pics of those.

its getting good

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information