Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I have been seeing a lot about the progress coils. Do these come with pillowball mounts or do I reuse my tophats? The photos I have seen have what looks to be a pillowball, but it is hard to tell.

Cheapest as possible? Able to pick your own height? Racelands.

/threadclosed

Wasn't necessarily going for THE cheapest, just did not want the most expensive. I do have my heart set on coilovers, for better or for worse. I have done a lot of reading and looking around today and am thinking of three sets. Progress. Buddy Club N+. BC Racing BR. I am not trying to slam it, just want to lower it, have it be relatively comfortable, have pillowball mounts, and most of all not scrape when pulling into the driveway. So with that in mind, what would your recommendation be? I know a lot of this is up to personal preference, blah, blah, blah. And most of all I want something dependable. I want to install them, set them, align the car and forget about them. Any final input and help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again in advance.

that guy w/ the face poeticfinesse21's Avatar
    Here's my question, if you just want to "set it and forget it" then why do you want coilovers with pillowball mounts? People who want coilovers with pillowballs typically want them so they can adjust height, stiffness and camber in the front. It sounds to me like a shocks/springs combo might be better for what you want. Once again, I recommend you look into the a-spec suspension...or get some koni or bilstein shocks and pair them with some 02-04 RSX-spec eibach pro-kit springs, you will be surprised how much better the car handles.
    Last edited by poeticfinesse21; 10-18-2012 at 08:13 PM.

From the looks of the thread, it seems he just want comfort and a little drop. I don't think he cares about handling.

For you my friend, get the bc n+, they're damper adjustable which means you can control the stiffness.

From the review I read, they can be stiff as mugen ss to soft as stock. So it's great for a daily cuz you can tune it to where you like and forget about it like you said

Good luck with your pick.

Well I wouldn't say I don't care about handling, but certainly not looking to track it. That said, a spirited drive in the mountains from time to time is a possibility. I do like the adjustability that coilovers offer because who knows if I will change my mind down the road and decide to slam it again. I like having that option. I have read the same reviews about the n+. I am leaning that way, but I am unclear whether they include pillowball mounts. I know it has the option for it, but I am not sure if they are included in what I would get from a corsport or if they would be a separate purchase. Thanks again guys.

Also, poetic specifically, thanks for all of your help and recommendations dude. I truly appreciate it and I hear what you are trying to tell me. But I have my heart set on coilovers for the future flexibility. For better or for worse. Thanks again dude.

Registered User Her-Name's-Ally's Avatar
    how about megans or tien ss?

Quote Originally Posted by Her-Name's-Ally View Post
    how about megans or tien ss?
    I don't think I want to go with Megan's because of the straight arm design. I already have the ClubRSX 0857 steering bracket relocator on the car. I fear once I have the coilovers and have the car only lowered about an inch, the Megan's straight arm design would be less than useful with the steering bracket relocator.

I just looked at the tien ss on SSR and they are $1200 without the pillowball mounts. I would like to keep it around 1K WITH pillowballs. 1200 being my upper range. I think the three I noted would be in this price range. I am just trying to determine which if any include the pillowball mounts.

I would say the megan street coilovers are your best bet, $880 shipped with pillow ball mounts. The newer design does not have the straight steering arm anymore: http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=2728
    You'll just need RSX tie rod ends and shave the rear shock bushings about 2mm or 3mm on each shock, that's all under $1000.
    Last edited by poeticfinesse21; 10-19-2012 at 08:24 AM.

The Mugen ss are a great option if you want an inch drop and a set and forget kinda thing. I have them on my car for 40k and they still ride like the first day I put them in. It's okay for dd and great for handling. Kind stiff in the beginning but I got use to it quick. And don't forget, Mugen are quality parts and you can find a use set for around 600- 700

Quote Originally Posted by poeticfinesse21 View Post
    I would say the megan street coilovers are your best bet, $880 shipped with pillow ball mounts. The newer design does not have the straight steering arm anymore: http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=2728
    You'll just need RSX tie rod ends and shave the rear shock bushings about 2mm or 3mm on each shock, that's all under $1000.
    Thanks poetic. I had read about the new design, but don't the tie-rods now connect at the bottom of the arm rather than the top? Would that screw up the steering with the afore-mentioned steering bracket? I am just worried that if I only plan to lower the car an inch for now, that with the relocator bracket and the arms with less angle and essentially reverse tie-rod ends, I am going to far the other way. Am I thinking about this wrong? I do like the price and it seems that Megan has built themselves a nice reputation. I am most concerned about the tie-rods and screwing that up. Finally, is there a DIY for shaving the rear shock bushings?

http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=2127

if you use code bc5%off in the promo code you will save $58 makes it just over $1100

you should also consider these for the drop. People talk masa on them but they are yolked.
    http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=6016
    they are next on my list
    promo code still applies.

Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    Thanks poetic. I had read about the new design, but don't the tie-rods now connect at the bottom of the arm rather than the top? Would that screw up the steering with the afore-mentioned steering bracket? I am just worried that if I only plan to lower the car an inch for now, that with the relocator bracket and the arms with less angle and essentially reverse tie-rod ends, I am going to far the other way. Am I thinking about this wrong? I do like the price and it seems that Megan has built themselves a nice reputation. I am most concerned about the tie-rods and screwing that up. Finally, is there a DIY for shaving the rear shock bushings?
    I'm not sure about the tie rods, I thought they connected the normal way. As far as the rear shock bushings, as long as you have a grinder it shouldn't take more than 30 min max. Check out the A-spec DIY for info in the tie rods and the grinding: http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...pension-on-ep3

Quote Originally Posted by Her-Name's-Ally View Post
    you should also consider these for the drop. People talk masa on them but they are yolked.
    http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=6016
    they are next on my list
    promo code still applies.
    I'd rather get the hardrace ball joints due to this quote from myself:
    Shouldn't be a problem but make sure you DO NOT get the ball joints for the DC5-R. They WILL NOT fit into your lower control arm, the stud for the ball joint has a larger diameter. I would recommend the hardrace ball joints over the buddy clubs due to this quote from honda-tech:
    Quote Originally Posted by mustclime View Post
    the lower balljoint is not sold by its self from honda/acura.....it is a "cold fit" part....the balljoint is dipped in liquid Nitrogen and slipped into the cast knuckel....If you get a replacement balljoint( there are a bunch around if you search the interwebs), get one with a snapring to hold in the place as once you press the old balljoint out of the knuckel, the fit will not be as tight as a stock cold fit
    Buddy clubs DO NOT come with the snap rings which sounds a little shady to me. How the hell is the ball joint going to stay in place with all the abuse of daily driving, not to mention autocross or track? Most buddy club products are amazing but no snap ring just sounds unsafe.
    I've read on clubrsx that the buddy clubs weren't a "perfect fit" for some people and there was some slight play in the knuckle. Not to mention that they tend to break easily on the track or autox

Yeah I know thats what a lot of people say but my buddy is putting em on his setup and hes not had a problem yet. I want to see how they ride but I will probably end up with these. probably moved around in the kunckle cause they werent pressed in right or they were the wrong ones.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information