Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2.5 inch exhaust to big for jrsc street?

So I've started noticing like a lag when I am trying to accelerate.
    Like when I was going on the freeway I was in 2nd and 5 k rpm te boost gauge said it was at 4lb of boost and the car felt it was struggling to get the sc on.
    Could it be that my sc is going bad or something else?? Need some help on this
    I am not running kpro just the power card

Belt slip...?

I pretty sure it's on good but is there a way to prevent that?

did you buy your kit brand new or second hand? it could be belt slip or it could be your bypass valve is sticking.

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    Could be all in your head... Didn't u just post that u pulled on your buddies FA5? If thats the case its running the way it should be

Quote Originally Posted by differentK View Post
    did you buy your kit brand new or second hand? it could be belt slip or it could be your bypass valve is sticking.
    bought the kit second hand, i did have a the danco what ever its called belt name but was slipping off alot so went with gatorback and doesnt slip off but notice at times like the SC is just not engaging right away. was thinking of doing an oil change on it, maybe that would help somehow

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post
    Could be all in your head... Didn't u just post that u pulled on your buddies FA5? If thats the case its running the way it should be
    When i did the run on my bros FA5 the first 2 runs it wasnt hitting right away, the 3rd and 4th run it engaged right away and we where pretty much dead even until we hit about 130-140mph he started to pass me

What do u mean by not hitting right? Is it making boost?

Boost gauge says its boosting but it didn't feel like it was you can feel it hesitating in kicking in and after a couple seconds it would kick in
    The 3rd run it was on right away

Do u have a wideband gauge?

Nope only a boost

the boost gauge is enough. when you are driving in 3rd get the RPM up to around 4-5grand then floor it- you should hit max boost immediately then drop off once you hit vtec due to the larger lobes engaging. if you really think the car is hesitating- you will see it here. if that is the issue- start with your belt. it should be overly tight. if you are using the manual tensioner- it might be time to crank down on the adjustment screw or switch to the auto tensioner. if you think that is good- then the only thing else is the bypass valve. if the kit has higher mileage on it- then the valve may need adjustment/ cleaning/ rebuild/ etc.

Boost gauge isn't enough. If hes running a bigger diameter exhaust it could be causing him to run lean, he doesnt have kpro, so he has no way of knowing what his af ratios are. Which could account for the reason his car isn't pushing . He already said his boost gauge is hitting the right amount of psi so u can scratch off belt slippage or vaccum leak. And he's running an a3 so no crossover up top. Vtec is at 2200. Ur from Arizona too, are u running a short ram intake? Ur car could be seeing some heat soak which would caus the lag in power.

Quick side story.. when I was jrsc I had a code for my o2 sensor. How many people here get codes for there o2 sensor and continue to drive their car and drive it like that for years ? Well on normal acceleration I noticed my car was heavily running lean thanks to my aem wideband. I immediately stopped driving my car till my new o2 sensor arrived, which fixed my lean issue. Wideband gauge saved my motor

A second time on my turbo setup. My walbro pump had a small cut in one of the hoses. At wot I noticed my wideband gauge running lean again. Switched the hose and solved my problem. Again wideband saved my motor
    Last edited by superchargedk20; 11-06-2012 at 10:48 AM.

yes i am in AZ i am running AEM CAI, but i do have a CEL for my o2 sensor i have just ignored it since im runnning a DC race header setup
    think that it might be time to get kpro to try and fix this issue and at least see where my AF ratios are at

maybe i am not reading this right- does the car start to instantly make boost once you get on it or does it hesitate for a sec and then start to make boost? did you add the 2.5in exh and then it started 'hesitating' or has it always been on the car? honestly- it sounds more like you were expecting to blow that FA5 out of the water and when it kept up- now you think somethings wrong with your car. you have to remember you and a stock FA5 probably make the same power- but it has better gearing.

Quote Originally Posted by gtecd20 View Post
    yes i am in AZ i am running AEM CAI, but i do have a CEL for my o2 sensor i have just ignored it since im runnning a DC race header setup
    think that it might be time to get kpro to try and fix this issue and at least see where my AF ratios are at
    Well that's prolly why ur car isn't running right. So there's two ways here. First u are correct that ur dcrh is giving u the cel. But the combo of a dcrh plus a 2.5 exhaust is making u run lean. Second ur o2 sensor is really damaged and is xausing u ti run lean. Step one buy an o2 eliminator and see if it clears ur cel. This works 50% of the time ( worked for me). If that doesnt work u can either buy a new one and see if that works or u need kpro caus that exhaust combo is leaning u out. Another thing u can try is resseting the battery. If that clears the code and ur car begins to run normal for a little bit then ur o2 needs to be replaced

Quote Originally Posted by differentK View Post
    maybe i am not reading this right- does the car start to instantly make boost once you get on it or does it hesitate for a sec and then start to make boost? did you add the 2.5in exh and then it started 'hesitating' or has it always been on the car? honestly- it sounds more like you were expecting to blow that FA5 out of the water and when it kept up- now you think somethings wrong with your car. you have to remember you and a stock FA5 probably make the same power- but it has better gearing.
    Yea and the fact that his freind with the FA5 is modded, intake and rh I beleive
    Last edited by superchargedk20; 11-06-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information