Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

kseriesparts 6 speed kit

Is everything needed to do the a3 6 speed conversion included in this kit, or do I have to pick up anything else? I've read about the whole reverse notching thing, or purchasing a new interlock, so that's fine. Also, are there any advantages to swapping a type-s tranny in as opposed to just adding the gear to the a3 tranny? Sorry if these questions are covered, I searched as much as I could, thanks for your help.

Registered User mitchlikesbikes's Avatar
    what benefits are you looking for? if you want the added fuel economy then the kit is better.

if you want the 6 speed for shorter gears and track use, the type s tranny will be the better choice.

from my understanding the kit only had enough parts to replace the 6 gear in an RSX type S trans with a TSX 6th gear. You need considerably more parts to "add" a 6th gear onto a 5 speed transmission. Around 200 dollars worth.

Thanks for the response guys. I'm just going for fuel economy at this point. I have an 80 mile commute every day and don't really have any plans for the hatch other than a daily. Mine only has 64k on it, so I hope to have it for at least a few years, and I think the gas savings will definitely pay off the 6th gear cost eventually.

The kit does say "convert base model rsx or ep3 to 6 speed", but just from the picture it doesn't look like a 100% complete kit. I suppose I'll email them and see what all is in the kit, but I just thought I'd check to see if anyone has actually purchased their kit before.
    Last edited by wiscoep3; 11-24-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typed 5 instead of 6

also interested!!
    keep us posted!!

I would go ahead and give them a call. It does clearly state that which is new. I also think that cost a little more then the last thing they were selling. Maybe it is a new kit.

Sent them an email yesterday, but I'm not expecting a reply until Monday. I'll let you guys know what they say! It is significantly more expensive than the cost of parts outlined here >> http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=25635 so I'm very curious to see exactly what is included with the kit.

you will need most of the parts from the element owners club.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?44807
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

it is two different kits for the tsx 6.

this one is to 'replace' the 6th gear with the rsx-s a2 trans.

http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/HON-TSX6TH.html

this one is to 'add' the 6th gear with the ep3 a3 trans.

http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/HON-5SP-2-6SP.html

both kits are complete for each transmission if you want to add or replace the 6th gear.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead228 View Post
    this one is to 'add' the 6th gear with the ep3 a3 trans.

http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/HON-5SP-2-6SP.html
    ^This is the kit I'm asking about. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but what makes you say it's "complete" other than the site's description? Have you bought it/can you tell me exactly what parts it comes with?

Usedep3 - You seem to think the kit ISN'T complete and I should just go with the parts on the element owners page? At this point, that seems like the way to go, but now I'm just wondering why there's a $200 difference in price of the parts from Honda as opposed to the kit on kseriesparts...maybe the kit comes with something else for the swap..?

Reply from Steve at kseriesparts:

This is a complete kit you will not need to purchase anything else. This does not come with instructions as professional installation is highly recommended

I emailed him back asking for specific part numbers and whether it comes with a 6-speed interlock or if you'll still have to modify your own, but I suppose my question is answered.

I added up all the parts from the element website and if you include the syncros it's 484 shipped to my door. I would assume that the kseries parts doesn't include the syncros. because they are 250 dollars alone.

I am curious about this. It has been a long time since I looked at this, but would love to do it for the gas mileage. Cruising at 80-mph/4,000-rpm for most of my driving ain't doing me any favors. But when I was looking at this back in the day, I thought you also needed a Buddy Club short shifter in order to utilize the stock shifter. And more importantly, you needed to have KPro, so that you could take full advantage of the 6th gear. Can anyone confirm this? Do you guys thinking about this, already have KPro?

I got an email back from kseriesparts and this is the included list of parts with prices from Majestic:

24201-PNS-010 5-6 Gearshift Fork $48.62
    24240-PNS-000 Reverse Shift Piece $36.13
    24430-PNS-000 Interlock $22.60
    23916-PNS-000 Dist. Collar (28x35x24) $4.29
    23491-RAS-000 Countershaft 6th (TSX) $50.63
    23590-RAS-A00 Mainshaft 6th (TSX) $58.31
    91103-RAS-003 Needle Bearing (35x41x24) $7.78
    *******90011-PDP-000 Special Bolt $4.99********** -THIS IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE KIT, BUT NEEDED FOR THE SWAP!

24210-PNS-010 3-4 Gearshift Fork $48.62
    24412-PNS-000 Mainshaft Brake System Arm $11.28
    23641-PPP-000 Blocking Ring $29.30
    24413-PNS-000 Mainshaft Brake System Return $.84

All the above parts are included in the kseriesparts kit (except 90011-PDP-000). All the BOLD parts are the one's that are actually needed for the swap according to the elementowners thread>>>> http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=25635 and another thread on k20a.org that I can't seem to find right now...

It looks like the extra parts included in the kseries kit are for the reverse lockout, which isn't a bad idea I suppose, but the trans will operate just fine without them.

Thanks for adding those up, Phish, price totals:

Kseriesparts kit --------------------------------------------------------------------- $362.00 +free shipping
    All the parts included in the kseriesparts kit ordered from Majestic: $323.39 +shipping
    Only the essential parts needed (bolded above) from Majestic: $233.35 +shipping

So honestly, the kseries kit is a pretty decent way to go if you want all the parts and the reverse lockout. You could probably save ~$10 ordering from Majestic, but not a ton.

I'm pretty sure kpro is not needed for this. You're just swapping out gears, not messing with the tune or anything. I've been trying to find another thread on k20a that specifically had a guy who did the swap without the synchros and said it was running fine. I can't find the thread, but just from reading, the synchros are not needed for the swap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information