Close

Unhappy ep3 electrical problem...

OK... So go ahead and call me and idiot, bad driver etc.. etc.. Ive already heard it lol...

2 weeks ago I was driving through a mall parking lot. I was turning right into a parking lane and wasn't paying attention and ran over a curb, I mean RAN IT OVER HARD. I parked the car and looked underneath to find my exhaust hanging loose along with an annoying leak. The front right wheel was knocked way out of alignment. That is about all the physical damage that was done. Now onto the real part... The battery light, check engine light, eps light and abs light were on, and my power steering was out. I made it halfway home (about 20 minutes) and my headlights started to cut in and out, so I pulled over. As soon as I was about to get out of the car I turned the steering wheel and everything just cut out, I turned the wheel back and it all came back on. So basically my car has a mind of its own. I got it home, checked the battery and it had a dead cell. So i replaced the battery, and the car still acts funny. So I automatically thought alternator. I have that rebuilt and I re-install it... Only to find that it wasn't the source of the problem either... So my car now sits and my friends house, thats a mechanic. He's had it for a week and a half and has been through EVERYTHING, and still cannot figure it out. So I'm stuck... Sorry for the long story, but you get the jist of it. Any advice?

Registered User wayfastwhitey84's Avatar
    Have you made sure all the grounds are still good?

She's sitting in Honda's parking lot... I gave up lol. Talked to a guy there and he thinks the ecu needs re-flashed.. I guess Ill find out soon enough.

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    i can almost promise you it's a ground. Mine would lock itself every time I tried to get out of the car in the winter (but only in cold weather), and turning on the cruise control would turn on the A/C, etc. Cars do incredibly crazy things when common grounds go loose or corroded. I'd be looking at every chassis ground starting from the point of impact with the curb and moving further and further out. Even if it looks fine I'd take it all apart, sand off any surface rust or corrosion, apply some ground cleaner and waterproofing, and re-tighten it. One of the two major reasons I sold my EP was because of those electrical gremlins and to this day I'm convinced it was the grounds.
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

maybe your o2 sensor got bented because of the mall parking lot.

It could happened, that the fuse for the o2 sensor heater is melt down because of grounding and positive cable coming from some fuse which is locate din the interieur fuse box when you had the driving fault in the mall parking lot.

This fuses also gives the alternator a positive Signal to run it when engine is started.

Normally when the fuse is blown, the engine check light, ABS light and alternator check light will stay on, when the battery is nearly empty the SRS and EPS will stay on , too.

Okay.. got the car back on the road..

It was a connector on the back of the alternator that sends signals to the computer. They had to re-flash the ecu to get my power-steering back on, and all my lights to go off. So everything works besides the battery light on my dash won't go off. They said its a switch in the alternator. It's either I replace the alt and make the light go off, or just live with it.

Sure was a hell of a mess, no car for 3 weeks, but I'm glad someone figured it out.

Meant to post these earlier, gotta love stealerships...

Front core support bolt is broken off..

My intake wasn't even tightened back correctly...

Clip on my mani was broken...

Another hose going to my intake not properly reconnected...

Not a big deal, but my battery terminal caps broken...

But you bet your ass they could charge me 360$!

good ole Hidy Honda...
    Last edited by Waldo129; 12-10-2012 at 11:03 AM.

hope the chick you were eyein up was hot lol

shhh, my girl was with me hahaha
    Last edited by talonXracer; 04-16-2009 at 06:36 PM.

dealerships really get away with murder... they damage half your engine bay to fix a few wires and overcharge you for it too

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo129 View Post
    shhh, my girl was with me hahaha

man, .. i would show those pics to the dealership for sure.....!

Its whatever. I called and bitched because they didn't fix my cruise control but nothing came of it. I'm ashamed to say I used to work there... Owell, I'm slowly getting her back to the way I bought it, this 2 hours a day commute is killer!! lol

Thread Information