Close

Parking Brake Wire

I just recently purchased a double din dvd player and I installed it but I had no idea where to tap the parking brake wire into.... Any help would be much appreciated.

Registered User mitchlikesbikes's Avatar
    parking brake wire? wat?

What brand is the radio?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
    parking brake wire? wat?
    I believe OP is referring to the ground wire needed for DVD/Video to play on his deck. It is supposed to be grounded to the parking brake so video won't play unless the car is not moving with parking brake on. The wire can simply be grounded to any good ground point for video to play at all times (for most models).

What unit did you get.

You can actually use a 12v relay and it will allow you to view video as you drive etc.

the 12v relay has 1 wire that gets power from the unit, 1 wire that is grounded to the unit (86/87 pole get jumped and tapped onto your ground of the stereo) and then the 3rd pole on the right gets the parking break/green wire thing.

CHECK THIS OUT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGZE...4-BXsdvTlcupII

that is how i did mine
    be jealous :P

Quote Originally Posted by beechstreet View Post
    I believe OP is referring to the ground wire needed for DVD/Video to play on his deck. It is supposed to be grounded to the parking brake so video won't play unless the car is not moving with parking brake on. The wire can simply be grounded to any good ground point for video to play at all times (for most models).
    You have no idea how many sites I went to to try and figure it out. I was about to buy switches wire toggles or a thing from eBay. If this works then it is awesome. Man I shoildnjustbtrust the knowledge an wisdom here on ephatch.

Depending on the unit you can either run the parking brake to ground or to a relay and bypass the safety feature. If you want to wire it to the parking brake then remove the two screws in the back of the center console(under the rear cup holder on the sides), pull the ebrake up all the way and find the only electrical wire connected to the ebrake.

Dammit I will need a little toggle switch but that won't be bad.

Parking Brake Wire

Yeah. I did not bypass my parking brake, but it took me a couple of days to figure out that you not only had to have the parking brake on. My unit forces you to apply the brake, release it, and then apply it again before playing movies or a slideshow. Which I am fine with. I try to minimize distractions while driving.

Danito use a relay. You don't need to put a hole in your dash.

all you have to do is ground it and that should solve your problem just add an a wire and ground that wire to the ebrake wire thing thats what i did on mine sorry if thats confusing but dont know how to really explain it

Thread Information