Close

Is this intercooler too big?

well guys i hit a racoon a while back and it sort of messed up my greddy core and id like to replace it with a vertical flow, ive found this little gem, well not so little lol it measures larger than the full race unit:

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...gory_Code=INCO

my question is, is it to large to fit behind the bumper/support you guys think?

Almost identical to the treadstone trv25-s I have planned to run. Which is close to the full race vertical flow. There's plenty of pics online of those. It will fit like the full race too.

Registered User gtimportfanatic's Avatar
    i know for the one i had that i gave to ryan which was a 31x12x3 it needed t modify the rebar a good amount or just not use it.. seeing the car isnt a daily we said fuck the rebar and just run it without it... it runs from headlight to headlight lool

See my car is a daily so I'm going to keep the rebar, I'm ok with modifying it I just won't remove it, ill know soon enough and have pictures up :) I ordered it. 201$

Quote Originally Posted by AttarixEp View Post
    Almost identical to the treadstone trv25-s I have planned to run. Which is close to the full race vertical flow. There's plenty of pics online of those. It will fit like the full race too.
    Yea it look very idiotical to the treadstone. I got it from monj. Try to hit him up to how well it did for him.

Is there a rule of thumb for intercooler size? I mean... logic tells me you wouldnt want a small top mount with a 40psi setup... and vice versa.

Im asking because im considering a turbo with a built in WG (maybe a GT25/28) and know they are usually limited to 3-350hp. I still wanna use a smaller fan forced or hood vented side mount intercooler, and minimize piping/hardware size under the hood. Can anyone visualize what i wanna do, and offer opinion?
    Last edited by talonXracer; 04-17-2009 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 04EP3Hatch View Post
    See my car is a daily so I'm going to keep the rebar, I'm ok with modifying it I just won't remove it, ill know soon enough and have pictures up :) I ordered it. 201$
    Nice man... you will be fine with that intercooler, you will probably make more power at the same boost level since it will be cooling the charge alot more. Think of it this way, now you have room for growth

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    Is there a rule of thumb for intercooler size? I mean... logic tells me you wouldnt want a small top mount with a 40psi setup... and vice versa.

Im asking because im considering a turbo with a built in WG (maybe a GT25/28) and know they are usually limited to 3-350hp. I still wanna use a smaller fan forced or hood vented side mount intercooler, and minimize piping/hardware size under the hood. Can anyone visualize what i wanna do, and offer opinion?
    I would still run a small front mount the only reason for that D is the smaller frame turbos that you plan on running put out alot of heat. Thats why the SRT guys benefit from running a bigger intercooler with a stock turbo.

But I do see what kind intercooler set up you want (sleeper), the only issue I see would be airflow.

Quote Originally Posted by 1GR8EP3 View Post
    I would still run a small a small front mount the only reason for that D is the smaller frame turbos that you plan on running put out alot of heat. Thats why the SRT guys benefit from running a bigger intercooler with a stock turbo.

But I do see what kind intercooler set up you want (sleeper), the only issue I see would be airflow.
    Ah... makes sense. I have a friend that lives n breathes SRT's and i remember several conversations about that with him.

The more i look, the more i keep coming back to a GT2860rs. The EX looks to be a 5 bolt tho... kinda odd i guess... still looking.

"A smaller compressor wheel will be more efficient lower in the rpm range but will create more heat at higher engine speeds"

Read more: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...#ixzz2FQGz3qvJ

I got that qoute from car craft its another way to explain the heat from small turbos... That link actually has alot of useful information in it as well.

I need to take a look at the gt2860's but if its the 5bolt flange I think your talking about you can have notable shop make a bell mouth for you.

Sorry OP I dont mean to thread jack

Yah me either... i should start my own thread for help with this shizz. : (

I ran across a 2" flange... looks pretty basic. Looks like it could easily be modified so i could run 2.75" all the way back. I like it tho... looks OEMish. lol

I dont plan on revving past 7500rpm, i wanna concentrate on making as much useable power as possible w/o having to rev to find it. Remember, im anticipating and plan to work within my goals limits. Ill check that link above... do a lil more reading... and start my own thread for research purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by 1GR8EP3 View Post
    Nice man... you will be fine with that intercooler, you will probably make more power at the same boost level since it will be cooling the charge alot more. Think of it this way, now you have room for growth
    Nah he will make more power with a horizontal flow intercooler since its more contact with air to air which means more cooling. The distance that the air that travels for the vertical flow is like 1/3 of the horizontal flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post

Go air to water!! It can fit where the stock box is and can minimize piping a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by 04EP3Hatch View Post
    well guys i hit a racoon a while back and it sort of messed up my greddy core and id like to replace it with a vertical flow, ive found this little gem, well not so little lol it measures larger than the full race unit:

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...gory_Code=INCO

my question is, is it to large to fit behind the bumper/support you guys think?
    I just look at the specs for it and 3.5 in core is really big. Plus with a 3 in inlet/outlet you will have boost lag bro. With that size intercooler, it's meant for more for like 500+ whp cars.

yeah ryan's car before we swapped in the A2 had alot more lag with the bigger intercooler, i noticed the same thing on my boys wrx when i did his fmic setup for him too... so essentially, plan for more boost bro!

im not really worried about lag, id trade a little bit of lag for colder charge temps any day of the week, ill just have my tuner lean this bitch out :) get some hot ass exhaust gases flowing spool that little girl of mine up! i forgot to order my 3-2.5 reducers f*ck me runnin

autozone sells them bro.. i got mine there for liek 7 buckss each

Thread Information