Close

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    Theres a Facebook group?

Sorry to hear about your bro. : (

Chin up. You have rubber to burn...
    Thanks, it's going to take a while. May go back to Hilton Head and stay with family - need some of my sister's healing. She keeps trying to entice me to come. Her place is gorgeous, done it before and it's like living in a Ritz Carlton suite.

So Bamaboy, how's it going? Have you stopped moving yet? Is that thing of yours that's in the garage in one piece or several?

- That damn Bwek's Konis have me again wanting to do 450/700. It's a great stepping stone and cheaper. 2.3f/ 2.5 hz. Then work on the rear torsion bar to a very high quality level, custom and adjustable. Old school instead of more spring. Put in a solid or harder durometer bushing on the bottom rear damper and some of those washer and bearing thingies to let the spring bind less. There's a gorgeous Koni racing set up (Joey Mercado design) available for a very good price but that would be a bit rougher on the wallet. They are gorgeous, by the way. Gorgeous. Beauty is so subjective.

Nothin like family. Im glad you have some to rely on. Appreciate it my friend. : )

I havent moved in three months. LOL I have a few more life changes going on i havent spoken of yet... so another move is in order... likely in 60 days. Headed up north where the roads are twisty and have elevation changes. (YES!!)

The EJ is slowly being worked on... its in 100's of pieces spread between two side by side 10x20 storage units. The more i dig, the more i pull apart to change or fix. The daily is a 94 Accord i acquired as my victory dance from the finalized divorce. It bleeds oil, its slow, shifts are a mile apart, and the body roll is atrocious. Freedom is so sweet.

Yep on Stock off the shelf Koni's
    some streets are Horrible and it Rides great.

I'm using Ebay Plates they work really well, I had to find some Bushings, precision washers and a Upper spring perch to make it all work.

I have them swapped right now for more caster.

Koni Rsx Sport yellows/Gc kit f450-6"/r700-6"
    Jdm TYpe R front LCA + Bar
    22mm Progress rear bar
    Front 2.5 degrees camber 0 toe
    rear 2 degrees 0 toe I'm planning on trying 1/8th toe in as the car will drift ALOT till the tires warm up

I'm Running SSR Type Crs wheels 17x7.5 +49 with 16mm Spacer 215/45R17 V1 Hankook Rs3s

I was going to add more camber but Since I've installed my Spoon Clutch pack LSD i find I don't need as much camber anymore

I find the Spring rates are Spot on once the tires are warmed up and the Lsd had taken out all the push it feels like im cheating, it just pulls so hard out of corners now, I pull away from Alot of Rwd cars now coming out of corners Wish I did it sooner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpl...ZFn1CZD-3y9H1g

I Run High 1:22s Which is very Quick for a Street Fwd car, at this track, Faster than Alot of Eg/ek K20 swapped 225 width tire Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
    Good to hear your voice, Bwek. Did you pop the new springs on the stock Konis? How is it on those streets up there? That's a nice spring compromise, about the same as I was going to do. I have plates, too. What are yours, can they be swapped left to right and right to left for caster? What is your alignment? Tires? You need to do a little spec sheet on your build thread. Sounds as if you are having fun with it.

Sorry for your loss man. I can't imagine losing my brother. I'm glad your family is there though.

On another note your going to hate me but I put my interior back in for the trip to SoCal and I think it's here to stay haha I forgot how comfy it is.

Nothin like family. Im glad you have some to rely on. Appreciate it my friend. : )

I havent moved in three months. LOL I have a few more life changes going on i havent spoken of yet... so another move is in order... likely in 60 days. Headed up north where the roads are twisty and have elevation changes. (YES!!)

The EJ is slowly being worked on... its in 100's of pieces spread between two side by side 10x20 storage units. The more i dig, the more i pull apart to change or fix. The daily is a 94 Accord i acquired as my victory dance from the finalized divorce. It bleeds oil, its slow, shifts are a mile apart, and the body roll is atrocious. Freedom is so sweet.
    Ahh, some nice twisty roads is where it's at. Will you stay in Alabama? Such a beautiful state. Good luck on your move and personal sojourn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwek View Post
    Yep on Stock off the shelf Koni's
    some streets are Horrible and it Rides great.

I'm using Ebay Plates they work really well, I had to find some Bushings, precision washers and a Upper spring perch to make it all work.

I have them swapped right now for more caster.

Koni Rsx Sport yellows/Gc kit f450-6"/r700-6"
    Jdm TYpe R front LCA + Bar
    22mm Progress rear bar
    Front 2.5 degrees camber 0 toe
    rear 2 degrees 0 toe I'm planning on trying 1/8th toe in as the car will drift ALOT till the tires warm up

I'm Running SSR Type Crs wheels 17x7.5 +49 with 16mm Spacer 215/45R17 V1 Hankook Rs3s

I was going to add more camber but Since I've installed my Spoon Clutch pack LSD i find I don't need as much camber anymore

I find the Spring rates are Spot on once the tires are warmed up and the Lsd had taken out all the push it feels like im cheating, it just pulls so hard out of corners now, I pull away from Alot of Rwd cars now coming out of corners Wish I did it sooner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpl...ZFn1CZD-3y9H1g

I Run High 1:22s Which is very Quick for a Street Fwd car, at this track, Faster than Alot of Eg/ek K20 swapped 225 width tire Cars
    I was getting on here to list my specs so glad you popped in. What a great update. Thank you. Really thrilled to hear those numbers are magical. I'll refer back to your specs.

My next steps are;

- 400/650 Hyperco springs (that's with about - 125 lbs per corner). Springs will be at 2.2 hz. front/ 2.4 rear. That would be equivalent to about 450/850 lbs. on a stock EP so pretty firm but hopefully bareable.

- Spend the bucks and get a custom multi-adjustable rear bar. Better for street than big springs. And will give lots of room for playing with rear camber. I figure a good bar will be at least $400 or $500, maybe $700?

- Start with about - 2.7 front camber/ -2.5 rear. Still lots of rear grip but not as much as before (less rear spring needed and a little looser).

Quote Originally Posted by Powers View Post
    Sorry for your loss man. I can't imagine losing my brother. I'm glad your family is there though.

On another note your going to hate me but I put my interior back in for the trip to SoCal and I think it's here to stay haha I forgot how comfy it is.
    Thanks. I don't blame you for putting the guts back. It's a much more pleasant environment. And you can handle the weight with all of that hp. and tire. Sorry to say I'll be gone when you head west. Ahh, well.

Last edited by maksym; 05-22-2009 at 08:52 AM.

Oh and my car weighs 2500 lbs Flat Tbh Seat time would be more Valuable than Pouring over numbers on an Ideal setup, track time and figuring out your driving style will be far more beneficial I like having a stiff rear end the car slides well and my lsd saves my ass lol

Sounds good, Bwek. I do have a pretty good feel for what I want from the EP and feel pretty confident that it's headed in the right direction. Even with all the work still to be done, it feels like it's getting very close. Took it out tonight and gave it a proper thrashing. It feels really nice, even without enough spring.

ZZyzyxx told me (probably to get me off his back) to go back and re-read FarNorthRacing's stuff and it's been a beneficial brush up. It's been a while and there's so much to remember. http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html

-------------------------

So, moving to the east coast within the next ten or twelve days. I'm completely selling and giving away everything that goes into an entire two bedroom house. Taking only what I can fit in my EP and a 40" Harbor Freight trailer. Mostly car parts and tools., my two cats, and some clothing.

My sister this week has been moving from Hilton Head Island to Daufuskie Island, which does not allow cars, just golf carts. I've been really stressed wondering how to deal with my car sitting a ferry ride away!!!!!! However, this a real life changing endeavor so maybe , for the time being, I can get over it and concentrate on getting it all together and healing. A veritable Walden's Island. Eat your heart out Henry David.

I'm going back to super healthy nutrition, bicycling, beach stuff, do some community volunteering, whatever else my sister has in mind.

I'll do some photos of the move, the trip, and the new digs.

Focus back on line

Notes to self;

I finally feel comfortable with the next steps.

- Been rereading a lot of old stuff and thinking. Seems I got away from my original intent, which was to make the best handling EP possible and still be a nice road car. It's going to get even more track than street in some ways so it needs some street personality, too.

- Couple of things bothering me;

a. Car sticks too well (could be worse ). Can't do any sliding and balancing with the steering wheel at fast street speeds. Can still improve handling but get some playful steering control.

b. Steering feel in EPs are numb and sucky. Needs; about a 1" smaller diameter steering wheel, 24" diameter tires, bushings (which I'm dreading), other possibilities. Non power steering is too tracky.

- Now shooting for 375# front springs/ 625# rear. Shoot, I already have a 25.5 mm CTR front bar, so 375 should be plenty. Start out with a Whiteline adjustable 24mm rear bar http://www.whitelinesuspensionparts....sp?prod=BHR67Z and see where to improve from there. Adjust the car height to the springs, maybe just 1". Plus the 24" tires would be sweet with 1/2 shorter sidewalls.

Result of above would increase travel another 1/4" but drop another 1/4" inch more existing. Plenty of room to drop coils another 1/4" more if desired.

Budget Alternative; Already have 6k/336 fronts. Step 1 - double rears 12k/672. Step 2 - if needed, increase fronts to 7k/392. Step 2 or 3 - add adjustable rear bar. One at a time. I like this.

- Really work on suspension weaknesses; rear bind and about 3 or 4* more front caster.

- Interior; pull everything out and build divider behind seats to reduce sound, improve ac, and fix up cockpit. Remove sun roof and lightly insulate cabin. That's a reduction of a solid 70+ lbs. Easily under total of 2300 lbs. Custom dash, some kind of docking station for an IPod with maybe two headsets or something that sounds great and can be used in the house.

- Get a quick removal wiring set up for lithium iron and Odysey batteries.

- Weight removal - never will end.

- After all of above; EP should handle not quite as well as a nicely set up adjustable suspension stock weight Miata but, in some ways better than a nicely set up adjustable stock weight M3. Probably about same in the comfortable ride, not good but ok. Perhaps a little quicker in the tight corners but forget about the fast corners and straights. Even with a K24.

All of that really isn't too far away. Any helpful criticism welcome.

--------------------------

Moving to Daufuskie Island, S. C. in about a week, will start a travel thread soon. An EP, a 40" trailer, 2 cats, and me. 2200 miles in 3 -4 days.

---------------------------
    9/8/14

Took the EP out for a hard run, tires hot and sticky. What a blast. It just doesn't need much, including any springs just yet. So, I posted this on Club EP:

Suspension numbers; feedback please

I've been re-reading suspension tomes as Zzyzyx suggested. I would like to get out of my head and hear some suggestions if anyone has any.

I'm basically building "a track car that has been detuned to street duty". Just soft enough to use on the street but an awesome handler. It's really fun but want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction.

Currently at 2,3xx lbs. dry. When car weighs 2,275 lbs. Konis Sports with 336lb front/ 515 rear will put the hz. at 2.1 hz front, 2.35 rear. Until another 100+lbs comes off of mostly the front, the hz. difference is even wider. However...

Using Andy Hollis' guidance, I went with higher negative camber in the rear. -2.5 front/ -3 rear, so the high rear hertz seems to be working out.

My usual test area has eight corners, speeds ranging in the 35 to 45 mph. I can get the 9.5" wide RA1s to sing so we're moving. The drop is between 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" but will raise to about 1" to 1 1/4" to allow for a bit more travel as the springs will allow the dampers to very lightly bottom. Lower diameter R1Rs will drop it another 1/2"

Due to R lca I'm stuck with the CTR bars, 25.5 front, but it sure feels good, anyway. Rear bar is a 22mm R bar.

I was thinking of the next step, if necessary, of 375 lb. fronts as it would bring the front/ rear Hz. closer to about 2.2/2.35. Then maybe add an adjustable rear bar.

Feedback is welcome.

http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=1047562

Good luck on the move. Im sure the change is somewhat exciting. For me... its somewhat of a renewal.

Youll get used to the car being a ferry ride away. Mine is in storage miles away from me... sometimes i just go and stare at it. LOL

Good luck on the move. Im sure the change is somewhat exciting. For me... its somewhat of a renewal.

Youll get used to the car being a ferry ride away. Mine is in storage miles away from me... sometimes i just go and stare at it. LOL
    Thanks, I'm getting excited. I'm already planning in my head how to approach projects. I'll need a good car cover as it will be in the ferry parking lot, nice as it is.

My sister (where I'm staying) has two golf carts over there for transportation so I can take the Harbor Freight trailer and maybe do a little yard work for cash.

=========================

I'm on my goofy awake all night schedule again so it's time to go rip around some corners. It's in the 70s at night here now so it's really pleasant and there isn't a soul out there.

I'm so pleased with the handling now that I could just leave it the way it is except for being too low for the hz. (guesstimate 2.09 front/ 2.2 rear). Downshifting and getting smoothly on the gas well before the corner will give a sweet hum on the RA1s almost all the way through the corner. Very nice. Still lots of work, though.

Final spring combo, depending on corner weights, would be something like this;

350 front left 336 front right,

560 rear left 525 rear right,

adjustable rear bar.

Would require mixing Hyperco and Swift springs. :)

Catfish, 1700 lbs. wet

============================================

9/11

Motor

I'm absolutely sure I won't go with a K24 and will build the intake and exhaust specifically for the K20A3. The best handling fwd cars have less hp than they are capable of having. That doesn't mean they are faster around a particular circuit, just around the corners. The current 245/45s require more hp than EP currently has but another 15 or 20 hp (165) should be pretty nice and would take the current guesstimate of 16lbs/hp down to 13.2/1. Maybe 0 to 60 in 6 seconds with a motor that doesn't have to be constantly screwed with and very durable.. Add a 6th gear for lower rpm on the highway and get mpgs in the high 30s. I think that would be a really fun street rat and autoxer. Then start on a second project monster and never have to worry about the EP3's reliability.

Keeping hp in mind, I'll most certainly go with R1R 225/45/16s all around next to see if they are any quicker. I'm guessing they would be. Then, with the advent of the extra hp, I'll consider R1R 245/35/17s up front if more traction is needed.

Everything is falling into place and I'm feeling confident again re. set up. Lot's more to read, though.

Check this out, neatobopporooney;

http://www.racecartuner.com/03/307.html

Yesss! The k24 wtq will be too much (not to mention the added weight). Powers seems to realize that now. All it will do is aid in overheating your front tires on the track. Gearing first, horsepower second... IMO. The rest is a tire game considering ambient air/track temp, chassis weight, and driver/chassis setup efficiency. Balance.

Im strongly considering selling my SC since i have the crank to build the 2.2 i always wanted. 250whp NA at my weight is substantial... enough that i would need to spend more time on chassis tuning and wheel time before i could make use of all of that power.

For a guy from Alabama, you make a lot of sense sometimes. That 2.2 sounds beautiful!

=============

Instead of the Whitline adjustable bar I'll probably just go tried and true with the adjustable Progress bar. With the plate and end links include it's hard not to.

Correction; the 23.8" diameter R1Rs will not make the final gear 4.9 as the '02s and '03s were shod originally with 24.2" tires as opposed to '04s and '05s being 25". More around 4.8. Which is why the early EPs were .2 faster 0 - 60. That and 40 less lbs.

The hitch is finished and the trailer sides and bottom are cut. Hope to leave in a week or more. Joined AAA in case a tow is needed.

====================

9/18; reviewing GRM's 2002 EP3 build

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/pro...onda-civic-si/

Re-read the whole thing - been a while. They spent about a half a year prepping for solo nationals so that's a fairly adequate time considering the expertise available. It was just too heavy to compete with the "real" Civics. They had it pretty well sorted with 550/900 springs but no one wanted to drive it later on the streets as it was so harsh so they went with 450/550 springs and, in spite of the change, won a local championship in G Prepared while weighing 26xx lbs. And the staff also really enjoyed it on the street.

GRM's experiences are what originally convinced me that the EP would be really fun provided it didn't have to compete in any class. The extra goodies that are illegal in classes really make a difference. Pull 500 or 600 lbs. and it would be a blast. Even though it doesn't have dbl. wishbones it has a more modern solid chassis and a bigger motor with a better torque curve than most Honda lumps.

Lancia Beta Montecarlo

======================

When I get to my new home on Daufuskie Island, it will be a good time to start a new build thread. This one is filled with lots of theory and experimental stuff. A new life, a new build page. Hopefully with lots of fine tuning and balancing.

Pic is of the view EP will have at new home. It has to stay in the ferry parking lot (covered) on Hilton Head. Bummer but life moves on. When I first bought the EP in 2006 it lived in a parking garage under my condo to the left side of the bridge in the pic. From the old parking spot I looked directly at the ferry! What goes around comes around...

===================

Ginetta G15

====================

9/23, Happy birthday to me!

The other day I was guesstimating current hz. at 2.1/2.2. I think it's closer to 2/2.15. Another 100 lbs. won't change the numbers much, guessing 2.03/2.17. Pretty soft, which I'm cool with. Really a waste of time but it's fun. The Progress 24mm adjustable will scoot the rear hz. up a tad, maybe to 2.25, not sure. Perfect. Sure will be glad to get it corner weighed soon.

=====================

9/24

Pics show car raised and de-cambered to around -2, a little more. Right side is with fender pulled about 1", sticks out like old school autoxer. Left side is with fender pulled about 2". This with Type R lcas, 8.5" wheels with 37 offset but without 10mm spacers. The rears are reversed, with the right pulled more than the left and with about -2.5 camber. Will re-measure camber later for real numbers.

Moving tomorrow!

Goal for the upcoming year; To have suspension completed except maybe not all the bushings or the custom caster only plate.

- corner weigh

- Springs;
    left front - 350 lbs., right front - 336 lbs.
    left rear - 550 lbs., right rear - 515 lbs.

- Sways
    front - Type R
    rear - Progress 24mm double adjustable or ARS?$$$$$

- Camber
    front - -2.5, rear - -2.7

- Weight - get down to 2250 lbs.. Any weight removal after this will not affect hz. noticeably, will just increase quickness and agility.

- Sound
    add a docking station for IPod or something.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread Information