Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ... and this is why i tune my own shit. lol People really dunno how to tune... and honestly KPro isnt as hard or in depth as it could be.

The messed up thing is that first pull. Is the basemap gonna be safe enough to protect your setup? Knew a local in VA that had his boosted S2K blown on the dyno by the same incompetent tuner i first went to YEARS ago. 30psi... less than two pulls. BAM. Done. Plenty of engine parts to be used as paper weights...

Registered User gtimportfanatic's Avatar
    my good buddy at SoHonda Garage tunes my shit or i go to xenocron.. thats it! lol .. but out in NM isn't SQC supposed to be somewhat good? my friend made really good numbers there

People don't understand why it takes me a week and two tanks of gas to tune my car. Every cam angle gets fully tuned on both primary and secondary lobes. Fuel and ignition. The. You have to tune the final product to blend all the can angle together during transition. Then you bracket the cam angles up/down 10/5/2 degrees to see if you pick up power anywhere then adjust and tweak if you do. sometimes the car make more power if the cam is rolling forward or back then I would at a flat advance.

Yep... like "burping" the cam advance. : P

Finally some people who agree! Ive tried explaining this to other kseries guys and they just dont get it!

Quote Originally Posted by gtimportfanatic View Post
    my good buddy at SoHonda Garage tunes my shit or i go to xenocron.. thats it! lol .. but out in NM isn't SQC supposed to be somewhat good? my friend made really good numbers there
    Yeah SQC is pretty good, but he wasnt really well know back when my car was boosted. I dont think he tunes out every cam angle, but his cars do come out with some pretty good numbers.

There are people that know how to tune... and i think a majority of them DONT do it for a living. May sound backwards but... if all youre doing is trying to make a shop some $ in a limited amount of time... then that tuner really wont be able to unlock the ability of each setup.

Kinda the difference between a mechanic that spins wrenches for production versus someone that does it for the love of it. The guy tryna make $ is gonna cut corners in the interest of making $ and keeping his job, and will miss details often involved in getting the job done "just right".

The "burping" i think is necessary as a way to bleed off uneven pressure built through the act of the cams advancing as power is made. I say that as a general thought because i have also found it to be helpful on boosted setups where cam advance has been fixed for several thousand RPM... but boost pressure was a variable as it was being gradually built (SC in this case) and a little burp made more power with one or two fewer psi. Again... a general thought... and not trying to delve too deep off topic. lol

I agree. shops cant really afford to spend a couple days tuning one car. So what they usually do is take the closed hondata base map calibration to your setup and smooth it out. Most cases the car makes good numbers on the dyno and pulls off the dyno running like a champ... until you start driving the car in the real world. Thats when all the lil hickups and gremlins become apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    ... and this is why i tune my own shit. lol People really dunno how to tune... and honestly KPro isnt as hard or in depth as it could be.

The messed up thing is that first pull. Is the basemap gonna be safe enough to protect your setup? Knew a local in VA that had his boosted S2K blown on the dyno by the same incompetent tuner i first went to YEARS ago. 30psi... less than two pulls. BAM. Done. Plenty of engine parts to be used as paper weights...
    Mind telling me who this is so I dont run into them? haha. Please tell me it wasn't shad at accuracy out in chesapeake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post

Mind telling me who this was so I dont run into them? I hope it wasn't shad at accuracy he tuned my car. And after that was done one of his buddys put his boosted sk on the dyno.

damn you put your car through some work. good job and thanks for posting.

as for tuning i need to read more into. really haven't interested me since i don't have kpro yet.

Quote Originally Posted by urthworm View Post
    Nobody I took it to knew how to tune the full vtc or use hondata. They all tuned it like it was a bseries with 2 maps. turned of the knock sensor, Vtec oil pressure switch, blew my head gasket, just a bunch of shit, plus my custom kit was shitty and the oil return didn't flow right so I blew 3 turbos, stripped bolts, oil leaks. It all just added up.
    yeah but it made hella torque.

So after about a year of beating the hell out of my k24 setup I decided to go bigger. The car ran perfect without a single hiccup. However my rivals were beginning to catch up, so I decided to pull the motor and add a few goodies.

Wiseco 14.2 pistons vs wiseco 12.5
    Carrillo pro-sa rods vs blueprint h-beam
    Drag cartel stage 4 cams vs blueprint stage 2 (old version)
    more porting on the head, plus back to stock head gasket
    custom intake manifold with 90mm throttle body vs hybrid 70mm
    New bearings, valve guides, valve stem seals
    custom 4" intake vs hybrid cold air

The only thing I am lacking is a more aggressive header, and I would like a prayoonto or hayward manifold but I'm already spending more than I wanted. Plus I am pretty sure these manifolds are going to need more work to install then just bolting them on.

Wow ... You've had fun with your EP.!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by FoReVaPmP View Post
    Wow ... You've had fun with your EP.!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone
    Yes sir I have lol.

The new manifold and throttle body.
    Last edited by MokujinX5; 05-11-2009 at 03:42 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information