Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which transmission fluid?

Im going to be changing my trans fluid for the first time and i was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I have around 130k miles on my car.

OE tranny juice for something like $20 a quart, Redline, Amsoil if you can get it, Royal Purple if you like purple or my personal preference, GM/Pennzoil Syncromesh.

Redline MTL. It's a GL-4 fluid so it's good for the brass synchros in the tranny. I've been using it for about 20k miles now with no issues. I've tried Honda and Amsoil Synchromesh before and Redline has been the best so far. I got mine for around $13 a quart on the website FCP Groton: http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...nm/Redline+MTL

130k? Assume its the first time the fluid has been changed. Change it with Honda MTF (or a conventional 5w30) initially, run it for 5k miles, THEN put in your expensive fluid of choice. You really wanna try and flush all of the old fluid out of the trans before you add the good stuff.

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    Is running Honda mtf not a good idea ?

Honda MTF works well for DD use. I could never get it to last longer than a thousand miles... or one race day. In the 06Si i had, i burned up fresh Honda MTF on a 4 mile touge with s2000's. The trans didnt even wanna shift, and you could smell it BAD lol

The synchromesh i use... psh no issue. I can bang gears all day long. lol

What do u use? Penzoil?

i used honda fluid with my used k20a engine/tranny for 3 years.. nothing but abuse. Raced it every weekend and when i did drive it to work hit a couple gears to redline aleast 4 times. Also did 4 or 5 crest runs. hmtf did me good. ive been using synchro mesh now, but mainly just to test the hype. So far i like it but dont see a huge dif from honda.

GM synchromesh with friction additive (same stuff they use in superchargers). I use the pennzoil synchromesh for break in and flush.

Urthworm... youll notice a huge difference with the carbon snychros. If you have an unopened CTR trans then you have brass syncs. The k20z3 trans was the first to have partial carbon syncs (updated).

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    Urthworm... youll notice a huge difference with the carbon snychros. If you have an unopened CTR trans then you have brass syncs. The k20z3 trans was the first to have partial carbon syncs (updated).
    I actually just had my tranny rebuilt with Synchrotech Carbon synchros.. doesnt even feel like the same trans anymore. It honestly feels indestructible I havent used hmtf since the rebuild so i cant really compare the old from new.

I was skeptical, but the ITR trans feels so much better with the carbon syncs in it! Remember how slow the brass syncs were in the EP trans? Ugh... id hate to go back.

I only use Honda mtf, every 12k miles I change it

I actually emailed Dave at Synchrotec to get his opinion, I told em my setup and he recommends torco rtf. It's $20 a qt. But if thats what the experts recomend I'm going with it

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    130k? Assume its the first time the fluid has been changed. Change it with Honda MTF (or a conventional 5w30) initially, run it for 5k miles, THEN put in your expensive fluid of choice. You really wanna try and flush all of the old fluid out of the trans before you add the good stuff.
    Yea this woukl be your best way since you're way over due on changing it. I prefer flushing it with honda mtf than with redline. Some good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post
    I actually emailed Dave at Synchrotec to get his opinion, I told em my setup and he recommends torco rtf. It's $20 a qt. But if thats what the experts recomend I'm going with it

NICE. You using brass or carbon syncs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information