Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Removing Pinstripe?

I've noticed that out of all of the EP's on this site I am the only one with a pinstripe on my car. The dealership around my way has these painted on when the car hits the lot so I didn't have much choice. The pinstripe is really becoming an eyesore. Is there a way that I can remove this w/o damaging the paint?

ssvr6
    If it's painted on, you're screwed. If it's a vinyl decal (which I'm sure it is) you can just peel it off with your finger nail on a warm day. Then use goof off to remove the residue.

Steve

I can assure you it's painted on so I guess I'm screwed:(

If your right than that seriously blows a goat. U got any pics of it?

Originally posted by whtep19
    I can assure you it's painted on so I guess I'm screwed:(
    when I had my civic ex (1997) it had pinstripes and I thought for the longest time, that they were painted on. But then I looked closer and started picking at it, and it came off...peeled right off. Try taking a closer look. I can't see them, taking the time to actually paint something so thin on the car

I took a second look and it's definetly painted on just as it was on my 97 EX.. Weird :(

Originally posted by whtep19
    I took a second look and it's definetly painted on just as it was on my 97 EX.. Weird :(
    that is weird. Everyone that had one just peeled it off http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30

I just ran across something at Good Speed Motoring. It's an eraser for pinstriping and other things. It might be an option. They also have some how-to articles on removing decals and stripes.

Thanx for the info;)

ephatch member
    Just wanted to say, I took my pinstripes and the ivtech stickers off with a hair dryer, sped the process up ALOT...

Just wanted to clarify that not everyone's is painted on... I would have probably assumed that mine were painted unless my parents informed me they had theirs taken off at the same dealership. Just a note for anyone else learning all this stuff for the first time.

If it's really painted on, could you get some touch up paint? Do they sell spray paint in our colour yet? Does ours have a clearcoat ? I didn't get the super teflon coating or anything at the dealership, just wondering if there was one on stock? Let us know how it turns out if you do decide to paint over or get rid of your pinstripes somehow, it'd be useful I'm sure in the future if we get any dings :-/

Our cars do have clear coats from the factory (as do prety much all new cars). I'd guess that over 90% of pinstripes are really decals. particuarly if they were put on by the dealer. Hand painted pinstripes is a dieing art.

I bet that if you can feel the pinstripe (like there is a really hard precise edge), then it's really a decal. But, I could be wrong since I'm not a pinstriping expert :)

Dealer refused to take off my pinstripe because they said that since its been on the lot for such a long time (its an 02) that taking off the stripe would take off paint too. I didn't feel like arguing with em, so I just said screw it and I guess I'll guess used to 'em :D

ephatch member
    My car was an 02, and I got it in Jan03 I believe it had been there since march of 02? and I took mine off myself and it was ok... now you could definetly tell where the pinstripes had been, but a little goo-gone stuff, windex, and then some waxing (or I used some inbetween wax spray on stuff) and it looked good as new. So don't fret, I think just the longer you wait the more you'd be able to tell since the sun fades our cars...

Anybody else have the midnight black? (i forget the name for it) but it seems to me to be just really really dark blue under my garage lights (halogens which I would have to admit add a red hue). but still I think it's nicer than just flat black. Curious if the other colors are quite as perty up close... (perty as in not flat colored, but metallic shimmery or something like that).

I have the black one, and mine had the pinstriping as well.

I used a blowdryer, peeled it right off, I still have small lines from where it once was, I just have to goo gone it off.

The black on mine shimmers with a blue tint to it, almost blue like a blue pearl really. You could always try mquires scratch X, that stuff takes scratched out of cars like you wouldn't beleive.

mine are also painted on.... rick case honda paints theres on. there is nothing i can do about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information