Close

Battery relocation to trunk

hey ephatch I just wanted to ask a few quick questions...I did some research a while back and I just wanted to make sure I have all of the correct information before I go ahead and start this next project...I have a trunk relocation kit for my battery and just was wondering a few things about the wiring. To my knowledge I have found instructions stating the best way to do this would be running the stock alternator wire to the left spot on the fuse box and the positive wire from the battery to the right side...also they said to run a 4awg cable from the positive terminal directly to the starter as well? and of course grounding the neg. in the trunk...I just wasn't sure if it was necessary to run the cable from the starter directly to the positive terminal along with the positive going from the battery to the fuse box...can someone shed some light on this who has done this before? also what is the best size cable to go from the positive to the fuse box??? thanks in advance for your help.

anyone??? im kinda stuck in the middle here I need to get this done asap

I have never done this before but I have studied electrical engineering. I don't know if this is a possible solution or not but here goes:
    It sounds to me like you are asking of you can run just one positive line from the trunk to the engine bay instead of 2? If you only need to hook them to the fuse box and starter I don't see why not. However, the best way to do it would be to run one power cable to the fuse box and then from the fuse box to the starter run another cable. 4awg would be suitable. This reason being. Starter motors are electric motors, which need current to make torque to start your car. Running a wire to the fuse box from the battery and then from the motor to the fuse box should place the fuse box and motor in series. Objects in series share equal current but different voltages. If you were to run one wire from the battery to a distribution block or a tee in the engine bay and then run 2 separate wires from the tee to the fuse box and starter, the two would be in parallel, dividing the current between the two. But you can alway run two separate lines all the way from the battery. Keep in mind you need to hook up the alternator to keep the battery charged up. Hope this helps, if not hopefully you learned a short electrical lesson. Lmao good luck!

thank you! you actually did clear a few things up...so how does this sound...ground out the neg obviously...then run one cable from the positive terminal to a tee/distribution block and from there go to the fuse box and starter...and then run the stock cable from the alternator to the other spot on the fuse box? does this sound right? I am sorry for all the confusion I am good with most mechanical stuff but electronics and wiring scare me a little bit lol I don't want to blow anything up here haha

Quote Originally Posted by insomniaEP View Post
    thank you! you actually did clear a few things up...so how does this sound...ground out the neg obviously...then run one cable from the positive terminal to a tee/distribution block and from there go to the fuse box and starter...and then run the stock cable from the alternator to the other spot on the fuse box? does this sound right? I am sorry for all the confusion I am good with most mechanical stuff but electronics and wiring scare me a little bit lol I don't want to blow anything up here haha
    That sounds good to me. Having them in parallel should give you enough current for the starter motor. They are small for an electric motor and don't require that much starting current. It's all simple really! Lol easy for me to say right? Just make sure all your connections are clean and insulated somehow.

Thread Information