Close

17" in the front 18" in the back...anyone ever seen/done this?

I was lookin' at my dads Corvette and noticed that it had 18's in the front and 19's in the back...anyone ever done anything like this to an import car? Pics, ideas, pros/cons...

S2000? NSX?

Maybe DocofMind knows?

dont copy my text, fucker downhil's Avatar
    s2000's actually have 16's front and rear. the rear is just a little wider. dont know about other cars. not all that uncommon in sports cars.

I'm gonna put 15" bicycle tires up front, and 19"s on the rear. It'll be mad tyte yO!

btw bigger tires in the rear would look rather silly on a fwd car, don't ya think? Defeats the purpose!
    Last edited by SmoothOperator; 01-13-2003 at 12:23 AM.

Re: 17" in the front 18" in the back...anyone ever seen/done this?

Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02
    I was lookin' at my dads Corvette and noticed that it had 18's in the front and 19's in the back...anyone ever done anything like this to an import car? Pics, ideas, pros/cons...
    it serves more of a purpose on rear wheel drive cars...but for us front wheel drive cars...get ready for flames if you do that :)
    But yeah, it does look sweet. I saw one VW GTI done like that....but he got flamed :)

my friend has 91 mr2, he has 17's on front and 18's on back. looks good to me.

ssvr6
    It's not like he wants to put 8.5's in the back, just taller wheels.

It may look alright.

Steve

Originally posted by SmoothOperator
    I'm gonna put 15" bicycle tires up front, and 19"s on the rear. It'll be mad tyte yO!

btw bigger tires in the rear would look rather silly on a fwd car, don't ya think? Defeats the purpose!
    WHEELS...not tires. Simply cosmetic. I'm always looking for subtle way to look a bit different and value the opinions of others.

I know I know...but they generally put bigger rims in the rear, to support the bigger tires. Although I do realize, you could keep the same width, diameter, etc etc. I dunno....I think it should stay with RWD cars. but....it's just my opinion. I think that look works well with the RX7, and Supra, but a Civic?!

Re: 17" in the front 18" in the back...anyone ever seen/done this?

Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02
    the NSX is like that, 16" up front and 17" in rear I believe. s2000 is the same front and rear.

The reason why they use a bigger tire in the rear is for traction. they make it wider which has obvious benefits, but having a larger diameter tire gives it a LONGER contact patch, which is just as beneficial as a wider contact patch.

They do this so front and rear have equal amounts of cornering grip during hard acceleration (more or less, with a torque car like the corvette you can never have too much traction in the rear).

Thread Information