Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Custom Airbox Installation

After doing research on different intake theory's, I decided to try what Real Time Racing does with their race cars. Seems they always like to use a sandwich approach with a tube going from the throttle body into an airbox and then another tube as a source feed. See picture below. Real Time Racing likes to use the NSX airbox as it flows well and is compact.

http://www.world-challenge.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/RealTimeRacing

I even sent a message to Peter Cunnigham (team owner) to ask him why they use this type of intake over SRI's and CAI's and his response was. "We wouldn't do it if it didn't work"

Benefits: Throttle response, low end torque, reduced noise levels, easy to clean filter.

RealTimeRacing-Intake.jpg
    RealTimeRacing-Intake2.jpg

In my case, I found a Civic SiR II airbox (EG6) at a salvage yard for $10. The filter is a panel type. The airbox is fairly small but has large inlet and throttle body feeds. Surprisingly making it fit only took a moderate amount of effort. The inlet feed starts just at the edge of the rear of the wheel well. I'm hoping this is a good source of cold air but time will tell. I will monitor it with Kpro/Tunerview and see what the IAT's look like.

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, and the filter is old and super dirty so I'll pick up a new one tomorrow and start my testing.

Some pics for your viewing pleasure.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Slip_Angle; 03-02-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Thats pretty cool. I have a diy on here with my stock box COMPLETLY gutted top and bottom with the holes blocked on the top half. And a cold air tube running down to an old foglight shroud used as a velocity stack.

that sounds pretty cool

... the airbox setup makes for great midrange response. It does quiet the engine at WOT... but for some that isnt so bad.

That's a hugh ass elbow you got!! lol

I was thinking if the stock box will fit on the k24 with rbc.

Quote Originally Posted by black05ep View Post
    Thats pretty cool. I have a diy on here with my stock box COMPLETLY gutted top and bottom with the holes blocked on the top half. And a cold air tube running down to an old foglight shroud used as a velocity stack.
    Sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by o2ep3 View Post
    that sounds pretty cool
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    ... the airbox setup makes for great midrange response. It does quiet the engine at WOT... but for some that isnt so bad.
    More info coming once the snow storm we had clears.... initial testing looks to prove what your saying about mid range torque.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead228 View Post
    That's a hugh ass elbow you got!! lol

I was thinking if the stock box will fit on the k24 with rbc.
    Ya, the elbow is large. It seems to fit well with the RBB intake manifold and the way it angles the throttle body up. It doesn't touch the hood.

The stock airbox won't fit with the K24 because the engine sits higher. I tried hard to make it fit but it wouldn't go...

Quote Originally Posted by Slip_Angle View Post
    More info coming once the snow storm we had clears.... initial testing looks to prove what your saying about mid range torque.
    Yep, yep. When i was looking into an RDX OEM turbo setup i had a '10 RDX clip to scavenge engine parts from. The airbox on it is GREAT for what you are looking to do (uses panel air filter)... and very inexpensive considering. You can get both halves for less than $70 new. Thats a third of the cost of the NSX box. The only thing i dont know is if the NSX box has any vanes or baffles in it. That would definitely alter air flow and sound.

Incidentally, ive been using a k20z3 airbox for over a year now and love it. Its a little quieter than i would like... but you gotta give to get...

Ya, the elbow is large. It seems to fit well with the RBB intake manifold and the way it angles the throttle body up. It doesn't touch the hood.

The stock airbox won't fit with the K24 because the engine sits higher. I tried hard to make it fit but it wouldn't go...
    Boo that sucks. I like the hondata mod stock box better than the aem v2. thats why i wanted to keep it.

Yep, yep. When i was looking into an RDX OEM turbo setup i had a '10 RDX clip to scavenge engine parts from. The airbox on it is GREAT for what you are looking to do (uses panel air filter)... and very inexpensive considering. You can get both halves for less than $70 new. Thats a third of the cost of the NSX box. The only thing i dont know is if the NSX box has any vanes or baffles in it. That would definitely alter air flow and sound.

Incidentally, ive been using a k20z3 airbox for over a year now and love it. Its a little quieter than i would like... but you gotta give to get...
    haha i was wondering what stock box you had in there. thought i was the original ej one since it was pretty small lol

Interesting. I found your thread with that airbox. It fits good. The EG6 Airbox fits really good too and I can certainly say it's producing great torque/power... I've learned bigger isn't better and flow is king.
    Last edited by Slip_Angle; 03-05-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Prolly works really well with your RBB too. This is another reason im still using the PRC and havent installed the RRC yet. Physically it will fit, but im not done with the airbox/smaller exhaust/open cutout setup (duality). I think the RRC will require the 3" exhaust and intake to make any useable gains... and it will move my powerband up and away from where i want it. I may end up selling it... who knows.

Ive also noticed the airbox lets me use more ignition advance (part throttle) than a regular tube intake. Makes for a peppy midrange...

I noticed one of the RT cars looks to have a huge plenum on a PRC manifold. Interesting.

Prolly works really well with your RBB too. This is another reason im still using the PRC and havent installed the RRC yet. Physically it will fit, but im not done with the airbox/smaller exhaust/open cutout setup (duality). I think the RRC will require the 3" exhaust and intake to make any useable gains... and it will move my powerband up and away from where i want it. I may end up selling it... who knows.

Ive also noticed the airbox lets me use more ignition advance (part throttle) than a regular tube intake. Makes for a peppy midrange...

I noticed one of the RT cars looks to have a huge plenum on a PRC manifold. Interesting.
    Damn, this is good stuff. Kudos to you my friend, I completely agree with what you've described. Seems finding the right combination of parts is really the key to making power where you want it. I had the RRC on my car with the K24 and it just didn't work with the CAI and KRRH I had.. I'm sure with maybe stage 2 cams or something it would be great but not with the combo I had... RBB works well with this setup.

I'm very interested to hear what you have to say about ignition timing. I did some quick testing of the same thing two nights ago and found exactly the same results.. The mid range feels really punchy now.

Anyways, more to come but I like where this is going.

Yeah... totally agree. Some of it ends up having to be an educated guess of what Honda was trying to do with the parts/part combination to begin with... then combining/refining them to suit your end goal. For me thats the fun of it all...

As far as the ignition advance goes (and my setup is really different than yours so use this as a suggestion ONLY), ive added almost 5 degrees of advance (smoothed) columns 4-7, 2500-6500rpm. I still havent induced knock (which isnt the only indicator i know) and my AFR's are 13.6 to 13.8. I pulled my plugs tonight and the number 3 insulator has a hint of pink (just above the perfect tan) so i feel i need an EGT sensor to know if im advancing too far (too much combustion chamber heat)... or if my constant high speed driving requires a colder plug.

Im nervous to push it more until then... and changing the plugs heat range will change a variable that needs to stay constant so the rest of my work is comparable.

I chucked my 1.6 airbox... next time you open it up can you add some internal pics to see what the baffles look like (if any). Im looking for decent internal NSX airbox pics to see if it might be worth the investment... out of curiosity.

I also plan on picking this up for the intake tube... and using screen between it and its mounting point (front bumper most likely). So many projects going on all at once.

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm..._Code=APR-DUCT

Yeah... totally agree. Some of it ends up having to be an educated guess of what Honda was trying to do with the parts/part combination to begin with... then combining/refining them to suit your end goal. For me thats the fun of it all...

As far as the ignition advance goes (and my setup is really different than yours so use this as a suggestion ONLY), ive added almost 5 degrees of advance (smoothed) columns 4-7, 2500-6500rpm. I still havent induced knock (which isnt the only indicator i know) and my AFR's are 13.6 to 13.8. I pulled my plugs tonight and the number 3 insulator has a hint of pink (just above the perfect tan) so i feel i need an EGT sensor to know if im advancing too far (too much combustion chamber heat)... or if my constant high speed driving requires a colder plug.

Im nervous to push it more until then... and changing the plugs heat range will change a variable that needs to stay constant so the rest of my work is comparable.

I chucked my 1.6 airbox... next time you open it up can you add some internal pics to see what the baffles look like (if any). Im looking for decent internal NSX airbox pics to see if it might be worth the investment... out of curiosity.
    AFR's seem a bit lean, no? I try to aim for 13.0-13.2. I'll PM you my email and we can share Calibrations if you're interested. I'll get you those pics in the next couple days.

I also plan on picking this up for the intake tube... and using screen between it and its mounting point (front bumper most likely). So many projects going on all at once.

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm..._Code=APR-DUCT
    Those NACA ducts are pretty cool. Post pics once it's in. Should really help.

AFR's seem a bit lean, no? I try to aim for 13.0-13.2. I'll PM you my email and we can share Calibrations if you're interested. I'll get you those pics in the next couple days.

How else am i gonna get 32mpg?

Ive always been between 13.2 and 13.4 (unless i was boosted of course), last night i opened up another 10 degrees of cam advance and was trying to stabilize AFR's so thats why they were 13.6 to 13.8. They were 13.9 with some speckled 14.2's the first pull. I even added 2% across the board before the first pull as a safety net (this was with the cutout open... so basically open 2.5" header, which incidentally is hard to get smooth AFR's).

I dont mind sharing KALs... i wouldnt mind a fresh pair of eyes on mine for opinions. The fuel maps are the craziest ive ever worked on, and im sure a lot of it is due to the hybrid duality of my setup.

As far as pics go... no rush... im sure others would like to see them too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information