Close

Front door Aftermarket speakers keep DYING!!!

ok Fellow ep lovers i have come to a stumble maybe you guys/gals might have an idea on what is wrong?

i recently installed 6.5 infinitie speakers to the front doors now wiring is all correct im 100% sure. just pretty much cut and connected it with speaker wire. So i did it to the first one and i tested it and it works now here's the kicker after i did the same thing to the passenger side and tested it the speakers didnt work at all like 0 power. But after i drove it came back on which is weird i check the fuses. There was only 1 10 fuse under the hood that was blown so i replace it and put a 15 fuse in its place now im just confuse because it keeps dying and coming back on help me please anyone?

I had a similar problem with my rear speakers. I would drill the screw in to mount it past a certain point and they would crackle and shut off and then magically work when i started the car hours later. Maybe the driver is making contact with the body.

EP3's are death for audio, or at least mine is...

I had a similar problem yesterday installing fosgate componets.Pass side would crackle and set off protect on my deck(new excelon).It took an hour to figure the crap out.Also kept blowing the fuses under dash-which now has a short.
    Called my local install shop and talked to the owner,he said it was prob a short in the speaker(wtf?)So I installed the crap xplode that was in there which works fine, to atleast have sound till I get this figured out.I started the car to pull up and the protect goes off on my deck again.Pissed as hell.On a hunch I un hooked the front driver side set and resetted it and it worked fine.Not cool at all.5 hrs yesterday doing a job that shoulda took 45 mins and I got a sweet deck...lol.

It would actually spark when a screw would go through the speaker into the door on the pass side.I had had this set in boxes in my old jeep and after talking to dude ,figured ok they got wet for sure but still sounded good. I snagged 2 sets of alpine componets to install later,but now hope they dont get fried.

some things to check out.
    1. make sure the speaker terminals around the magnet aren't touching each other or metal on the car
    2. if you are using infinity kappas(i have btw) make sure your two screws on the inline crossover are tight, I had my passenger side one come loose by 1/8 turn and started getting intermittent sound
    3. Are these new speakers? Are you sure they aren't just duds? if you are up for the challenge, unmount the radio and wire one channel directly to the speaker. gently shake the speaker around and turn it different directions. This can rule out both issues with the speakers voicecoil and the first two items.
    4. If you still have issues hit me up with a PM. I am an installer at Best Buy by the way, pretty sure we can find a solution.
    5. truthfully my educated guess is number one or number two, or its a POS(no pun intended)

Thanks alot bro. My bro and I are gonna take off the speakers and wire it directly to the headunit to see if it works. but i'll trouble shoot it and try it your way first.

so i figured it out. The wire were just pinched. i know silly.. thanks for all the advice everyone!

Where were they pinched?

I ended up taking apart the harness inside the door to try to find anything,ran a new wire,and same thing.
    Whenever the Alpines come in I am thinking of making a wood spacer to screw onto the door and using short screws to fasten the speakers to the spacers so the screws dont go into the door.

I used new connectors that were rubber coated taped off anything power related to the speaker and as soon as a screw fastens into the door,it sparks and trips protect on my deck.

Bhog, your screw must be touching something other than the speaker or door for this to be happening. By the way you can buy abs plastic spacers from best buy to do what you are trying to do. Technically you should have had the spacers to begin with to make sure your speaker magnet clears everything in the door.

dbleo,
    thats exactly what I thought(hitting something)but couldnt find anything.There was room behind the magnet.The alpines are bigger than the fosgates so I will have to use spacers.The previous owner hacked the door hole up pretty good to install an old system so maybe there is something going on I dont see.

I will be messing with it in the next few days after the sets get here.Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by b.hog View Post
    Where were they pinched?

I ended up taking apart the harness inside the door to try to find anything,ran a new wire,and same thing.
    Whenever the Alpines come in I am thinking of making a wood spacer to screw onto the door and using short screws to fasten the speakers to the spacers so the screws dont go into the door.

I used new connectors that were rubber coated taped off anything power related to the speaker and as soon as a screw fastens into the door,it sparks and trips protect on my deck.
    well when i installed the spacers i got. I didnt push the spacer all the way down. so when it lock in place it would pinch my wires causing it not to not turn my speakers on. its like its touching the door but with the speaker wire. so i would just short you know. I spacers i bought were from best buy. i didnt even have to screw my speakers. Because my speakers were just alittle bigger. i thought weird, so i just used zip ties and it works fine lol. true story tho. before you actually put in the speakers why dont see if they actually come on first than go from there you know. i hope this help brother.

Ya I did,6 times LOL.They would work perfectly fine until they were screwed into the door.
    I got the alpines in yesterday and the spacer that comes with them will do what I wanted to do with the wood.Im waiting on some push clips now then will install the Alpine in the front doors.
    Might put the fosgates in my wifes car.They work perfectly fine,just don't like the car.

Installed the Alpine comp's yesterday.They work fine and not a problem at all.I guess the fosgates DID have a short in them like my installer buddy said.
    They sound pretty good with just the deck pushing them.

Thread Information