Close

Newer K24Z block swap - Look before you buy

So I was browing K20a.org today and found someone selling a K24Z7 shortblock from a newer Si and noticed something that really caught my attention and wanted to let everyone here know about it:

The oil filter location.

Not sure if that would cause a problem for the RSX/EP3 chassis' with the intermediate shaft location and also you will not be able use an oil cooler or water pump assembly from the K20A2/Z1 + K24A2 models if the water pump assembly is not included in the newer K24Z block.

Im almost 100% sure after doing some reading on these blocks that the main difference in the block is also the same difference in the intermediate shaft. If you swap using the Z series motor, make sure you get the intermediate shaft that goes along with it, which almost makes it not worth investing because there either very hard to come by, or they cost a fortune brand new. But these motors are still pretty much drop and crank motors. I do believe your right about the oil coolers aswell... Which for some people sucks...

I wonder how many honda techs had to complain to get that filter relocated lol
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

Going to bring this back to life. Any more confirmations on the oil filter interference with the intermediate shaft? I have a used K24Z7 locally for a good price but saw the oil filter and wondered how much of an issue it would be.
    How to properly use Apostrophes
    The rev limiter is not meant to be used as a shift light

Keep in mind the crank sensor is moved to the other side of the engine as well. The trigger on the crank is removed and replaced with a spacer. All k2Xa timing covers are useless as the passenger engine mount is different as well.

There is a thread on k20a covering this, and one i started as well trying to get more in depth info... but there was minimal response. Seems there isnt a lot of interest in the 24z series as of yet.

Makes sense, when the K24A[x] engines are all very well documented already.
    Not to mention they don't seem to come with near as many headaches.

Haha, just figuring out a K24A1 swap is enough work for me, thanks!

Thread Information