Close

K20a2 Ep3, no vtec?

Hey guys I've been recently trying to finish up my turbo a2 build in my Ep3. When we first took it up to get dyno tuned the car only made 250hp on 7psi, falling on its face after 5000rpms. Kpro was switching tables at the crossover point but vtec was not mechanically engaging. I am stumped with what to do now. We changed the solenoid & that didn't help. Oil pressure is around 70psi at crossover rpm. Is that too low? Starting to think my oil pump is bad. If anyone has any suggestions PLEASE speak up.

Thanks,

Wade

what turbo (and specs) are you running? manifold? what exhaust? Injectors? need a list of mods so we can help determine if you're supposed to make that power or not.

Honestly doesn't sound too bad, 7psi aint nothing but i made 300 on 8psi. a small exhaust will keep you from making any good power with turbo.

K20a2 Ep3, no vtec?

It's a freshly rebuilt K20a2 with the Emusa kit. But my turbo went out on me, so I just picked up a 57 trim Garrett. RC750cc injectors, Skunk2 exhaust, Hondata IMG, Kpro, & Hondata 4Bar map sensor. I'm mainly trying to figure out why Vtec isn't engaging. I'm thinking I may have out the rocker pins in backwards when I went to put the head back together, because the rockers were in a box when I got the motor & all the pins were out.

Quote Originally Posted by WadeJdm View Post
    It's a freshly rebuilt K20a2 with the Emusa kit. But my turbo went out on me, so I just picked up a 57 trim Garrett. RC750cc injectors, Skunk2 exhaust, Hondata IMG, Kpro, & Hondata 4Bar map sensor. I'm mainly trying to figure out why Vtec isn't engaging. I'm thinking I may have out the rocker pins in backwards when I went to put the head back together, because the rockers were in a box when I got the motor & all the pins were out.
    If you put them in backwards vtec would still engage it's called flipped pin vtec and ba8932103 on here uses that type of vtec with no issues. If you did put some back correctly and installed others flipped pin your low cam would be suffering power not your high cam. Sounds like you have some other underlying issues.

Also 70psi oil pressure is fine but not optimal for vtec. It won't crossover unless the engine is at a minimum 60psi. Keep in mind that the oil pump is not what really creates most of the oil pressure in the engine, the clearances between the main journal bearings are what create more of the internal pressure.

Did you compression test the engine? My K20Z3/A2 engine tested at between 210 and 215 on all cylinders. Yours should be above 200psi as well if it's a fresh rebuild like mine.
    Last edited by USAF EP3; 03-26-2013 at 01:57 PM.

one way to check if it s mechanical is to make sure your the difference in cam tables is more then 5 degree's - so from low cam switching to high cam - make it jump at least 10 degree's you can hear that switch over like a gun going off. If your cam angles are close to each other meaning when under full throttle and the cam angle leaving LOW cam is say 30 degree's and when switch over to high cam the cam angle is 35 degrees you will not likely hear the cross over. if you make your high cam angle 45 or 50 degree's then you will hear it just fine when it switches over. your oil pressure is fine. make sure the engine is at warmed up, and then test it,

Thread Information