Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If I renember correctly the green coolant can be corrosive to aluminum.
    As for the coolant level, as I mentioned, thats about where mine ends up. Never lower though.

Don't think too hard 2004ep3hatch's Avatar
    Well this morn it only has gone down a little bit. Not what it was yesterday.

I guess I'll buy the other coolant and what about a mugen rad cap?

Is it worth the cost?

What about the radiator? Is that somthing that can bought aftermarket? I see them on rock auto for about 100.00.

The Honda one is 300.00. Is there a difference? These are not parts I have ever looked into changing. I don't think I need one but was looking into them.
    Last edited by 2004ep3hatch; 04-01-2013 at 09:15 AM.

One of the first things I did (after scrapping the A3 engine) was a Mishimoto radiator and new Gates hoses. I dont like plastic being used for engine related things. Besides after about 10 years its time to start replacing things anyway.
    You dont need a Mugen cap, but a new cap would be a good investment regardless of manufacturer. My Mishimoto came with a new high pressure cap so I rolled with that.

One of the first things I did (after scrapping the A3 engine) was a Mishimoto radiator and new Gates hoses. I dont like plastic being used for engine related things. Besides after about 10 years its time to start replacing things anyway.
    You dont need a Mugen cap, but a new cap would be a good investment regardless of manufacturer. My Mishimoto came with a new high pressure cap so I rolled with that.

Quote Originally Posted by 2004ep3hatch View Post
    I have about 40,000 some mileso on it, I did a head swap on it a few years ago with. Brand new gasket.

Only put maybe 5000 miles if that since then. I did the test to see if gasses are entering the coolant with the bulb.

How else do I check then? It seems to stop lowering to that point in the neck of the rad. If I had a blown gasket, would that not show up with the gas test I did?

My oil is not chocolate milk either, it's the right color to me at least. I am wondering about the gunk I keep finding tho.

I did not know about using certain coolants either. I guess I'll have to find the ones you posted. What will having the green do?
    did you resurface the head each time it was removed and reinstalled? a high pressure radiator cap will make it leak into your engine sooner so it will make it more apparent if nothing else. the way your describing your issue sounds exactly like what happened to my A3, which I just removed.

It ***might*** not show up on the gas test. I try not to act like im %100 right when the car is not in front of me.

I dont think there is a weep hole on the k series water pumps.

Re: Coolant loss still not solved

That gunk could be radiator leak sealer if there were owners before you

Quote Originally Posted by captaingamez View Post
    did you resurface the head each time it was removed and reinstalled? a high pressure radiator cap will make it leak into your engine sooner so it will make it more apparent if nothing else. the way your describing your issue sounds exactly like what happened to my A3, which I just removed.

It ***might*** not show up on the gas test. I try not to act like im %100 right when the car is not in front of me.

I dont think there is a weep hole on the k series water pumps.
    It was removed one time and it was resurfaced, I believe what happened is I still have air in my system. I put it up today in jack stands and tried to purge the air again. Other thing is the coolant I have says its safe for aluminum block. I did look for the valvoline stuff and nobody as it locally.
    Supercharged K24 Frank powered
    PM a Moderator for assistance anytime

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information