Close

P2646 + knocking sound = dead ep3

Title says it all. I was driving the 04 ep3 last night and heard some faint growling/purring/knocking type sound between 2-3k RPM. Figured I would get it looked at tomorrow.

No such luck.

Wife was driving the car today when she says the knocking sound began to get louder and louder; she began to slow down and pull to the side of the road when she heard a loud bang. Car died.

(As a side note, a multiple car accident happen right in front of her as she pulled off to the side of the road. Her guardian angel was working in mysterious ways there....she is okay, thankfully. Now back to the show...)

Car was towed back home and I grabbed the code reader to help diagnose. It threw a P2646 (VTEC Oil Pressure Switch Circuit Low Voltage).

170000 miles. It's been a good car. Other than some 02 sensors and a cat, never had any issues. I'll be picking up a new ride this weekend but is my old ep3 salvageable? Rods, rocker, valve? What gave out? Anybody had anything similar?

Thanks to everybody, been a good many years with my ep.

Re: P2646 + knocking sound = dead ep3

Your acting like your getting rid of it... lol

Drop a new motor in and keep on going!

we all do engine swaps, pop a k24 in and call it a day. 170k kind of sucks though, mine didnt die til 250 from a head gasket.

now if your trying to get rid of a clean EP3 shell............... PM me.

nothing may have gave out, you might just need a new vtec solenoid. of course it could also be something bad take the valve cover off and take a look.
    Last edited by captaingamez; 04-17-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks for smacking some sensibility into me. It MAY not be too bad (I hope). Even if it is catastrophic, looks like k20a3 engines are pretty cheap on ebay. I'm gonna borrow my parents extra car for a while to buy me some time so I can diagnose.

I'll open her up and take a look and report back in the next week.

If it is too much of a hassle captaingamez, I'll PM you for a sale :)

Thanks!

Quick update: Ran the scanner just to make sure there weren't any other codes (nope, only the P2646). Checked the oil, it was just above the 1st dot so a bit low.

Got brave and tried to start her out of morbid curiosity. Wouldn't even attempt to turn over.

that does not sound like a good thing.

good time to swap in a k24!!, get an 04 crv motor and just drop it in and call it a day

Since this is just a DD commuter, is it worth it to go k24? What does that do in terms of cost/complexity? I was thinking of just throwing in another k20a3 *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by chewie_jrc View Post
    Since this is just a DD commuter, is it worth it to go k24? What does that do in terms of cost/complexity? I was thinking of just throwing in another k20a3 *shrugs*
    I have both options waiting mine... another K20A3 on a stand ready to go in at a moments notice, and a K20A2 that is being slowly built up. Either way I think the A3 has proved to me its a good dd engine. Mine wont give up, 235,000 and everything but the AC works, and Ill be installing a new compressor hopefully this week.

Update: had engine replaced with another k20a3. Took a pic of the old engine once it was removed. Self-destructed inside:
    20130516_124500.jpg

New engine is running pretty well for the most part. Rough/heavy idle and some belt noised (detailed in this thread: http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...80#post1007480)

At least she's back to life!

Thread Information