Close

ep3 dead: good shop in CA bay area?

As title says, car died (original thread here: http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...sound-dead-ep3) and I'm looking for a good shop in the CA bay area (I live in San Mateo) to replace the engine.

What are some good, reputable shops to perform the work at a reasonable price?
    Also, this is purely a daily driver, so I'm guessing a direct k20a3 replacement is the most cost-effective way to go? I was looking at getting an engine off ebay...is there somewhere else i should be looking?

Thanks in advance...

Quick bump. Just lookin for a good shop in the cali SF bay area (penninsula preferably)...

Try posting this in the norcal section a good shop that i know of is in Fremont called Redzone or Blacktrax in Milpitas
    http://www.blacktrax.net/

or buy the motor and have the Nor Cal Bay Area Ep3'ers help you install it...

I have a k24 in the way. Ill sell you mine for cheap if you want but if u need it asap i dont think i can pull the motor anytime until i have all the parts for swap.

if you get a k24a1 from a crv it will drop right in and even run on your stock ecu with k20a2 injectors until you get kpro. once you kpro it it will probably even get as good of mileage as the a3 engine on an economical tune. but be much more driveable because of the added torque. I still havent gotten kpro, but i think the around town driveability of my car on the stock ep3 ecu with my k24 and k20a2 injectors is much better.

but the overall swap is easy, do a clutch while in there if you havent done it recently.

Quote Originally Posted by captaingamez View Post
    if you get a k24a1 from a crv it will drop right in and even run on your stock ecu with k20a2 injectors until you get kpro. once you kpro it it will probably even get as good of mileage as the a3 engine on an economical tune. but be much more driveable because of the added torque. I still havent gotten kpro, but i think the around town driveability of my car on the stock ep3 ecu with my k24 and k20a2 injectors is much better.

but the overall swap is easy, do a clutch while in there if you havent done it recently.
    He won't be able to pass smog in California with any k24 swaps, so I'm not sure that is a good recommendation.

I thought in cali the only swap you can't get is the k24a1 bc its from a 'SUV'.. but you could get a k24a4 or k24a2 depending on the model year you and the donor car have.
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

Quote Originally Posted by usedep3 View Post
    I thought in cali the only swap you can't get is the k24a1 bc its from a 'SUV'.. but you could get a k24a4 or k24a2 depending on the model year you and the donor car have.
    From my research both the k24a4 and k24a2 engines have EGR systems and they can't be made functional during the swap and need to be removed and blocked off. This is a modification of the emissions system and won't pass in CA. Also you technically can't modify the ECU in California and you must use the ECU from the engine going into the car, if the state referee checks and see's a kpro or that you're running the wrong ecu then you wouldn't pass. If I'm wrong I'd love to be corrected, seriously correct me. I'd love a k24 swap right now.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresource...uidelines.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blue03Si View Post
    He won't be able to pass smog in California with any k24 swaps, so I'm not sure that is a good recommendation.
    you can pass emmision with k24 and kpro. You just need the a3 stock intakes and cat and your good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by klik View Post
    you can pass emmision with k24 and kpro. You just need the a3 stock intakes and cat and your good to go.
    You can pass emissions (sniffer), but its not legal. If the tech doesn't catch it you're lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue03Si View Post
    You can pass emissions (sniffer), but its not legal. If the tech doesn't catch it you're lucky.
    i see what you mean. Hopefully when i do mine in 2 years after my swap they guy wont notice my k24.

Thread Information