Close

Stage 2 clutch and flywheel slipping after 40k miles?

the stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel (cranking the 240hp from the JRSC k20a3) were installed about 40k miles ago...its been kickin a$$ for close to 2 years now, Recently the tranny has been slipping for the last week or so and its getting worse.

Its not your usual slipping due to an old clutch (slipping at high rpm at full throttle)....its slipping right when you engage the gear and give it some gas. It will slip until it catches and it doesnt slip at all once it grabs.

I dont think its the Master or Slave Cylinders cuz the peddle has been working fine.

Could it be the pressure plate?

Not looking forward to taking into a shop and don't have the time to do it myself.

Any ideas?

its a stage 2 with 40k on it, what are you expecting? its not designed for street, and its sure as hell not designed for 40k miles so you need a new one. good to know that these will last this long though, 40k is pretty good for a race clutch on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by captaingamez View Post
    its a stage 2 with 40k on it, what are you expecting? its not designed for street, and its sure as hell not designed for 40k miles so you need a new one. good to know that these will last this long though, 40k is pretty good for a race clutch on the street.
    Look at the RED you fool!

Quote Originally Posted by eurosteez View Post
    the stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel (cranking the 240hp from the JRSC k20a3) were installed about 40k miles ago...its been kickin a$$ for close to 2 years now, Recently the tranny has been slipping for the last week or so and its getting worse.

Its not your usual slipping due to an old clutch (slipping at high rpm at full throttle)....its slipping right when you engage the gear and give it some gas. It will slip until it catches and it doesnt slip at all once it grabs.

I dont think its the Master or Slave Cylinders cuz the peddle has been working fine.

Could it be the pressure plate?

Not looking forward to taking into a shop and don't have the time to do it myself.

Any ideas?
    That doesnt sound right, if a clutch is going to wont hold at higher hp/tq levels....hmmm

Could be an engagement issue but im not a pro with tranny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by playap07 View Post
    Look at the RED you fool!

That doesnt sound right, if a clutch is going to wont hold at higher hp/tq levels....hmmm

Could be an engagement issue but im not a pro with tranny stuff.
    whoops, I missed that, I really need glasses man, no joke!,

it doesnt sound right, but I could still be right, he still could have a bad pressure plate or release arm issue, or a lot of things in the clutch pack (flywheel/clutch disc/pressure plate/throw out bearing/release arm) all that stuff requires you to take the tranny out to inspect (which if i were doing, and I had 40k on a race clutch, I would be replacing everything in there and machining my flywheel). HOWEVER, you should definitely check everything outside of the clutch first, maybe even try bleeding the clutch lines, even though that makes little sense.

Frankly I think you may have broken a drive strap, or something on the pressure plate.

and Very Frankly, its a race clutch with 40k on it, do you want to take it out in another 10? or even 15? and pay the labor again?, so that basically means to me, as a mechanic, regardless of what else is wrong, YOU NEED A NEW CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL

I know what happened...same symptoms I had on my Clutchmasters Stage 4 6-puck. If you search in the transmission sub-forums you'll find my thread where I ate 2 clutch springs.

EXAMPLE:

so as i said previously

40k on a race clutch = good run

replace your clutch.

yeah somehow i think it is also the springs. Lots of members here in the past had this issue with the clutch springs popping out

what brand clutch you got?

THanks USAF EP3....that definitely seems like the problem....ill go look for your thread.

[QUOTE=USAF EP3;1005726]I know what happened...same symptoms I had on my Clutchmasters Stage 4 6-puck. If you search in the transmission sub-forums you'll find my thread where I ate 2 clutch springs.

Any suggestions on what clutch I should replace it with?

Update: the stage 2 exedy ceremetallic that was in there was totally dusted and flywheel blue from heat...replaced it with the stage 4 CC and flywheel. Pedal and shifter feel soo solid. Stoked on the CC stage 4.

Quote Originally Posted by eurosteez View Post
    Update: the stage 2 exedy ceremetallic that was in there was totally dusted and flywheel blue from heat...replaced it with the stage 4 CC and flywheel. Pedal and shifter feel soo solid. Stoked on the CC stage 4.
    Good to hear you got that bad boy swapped out.

Did you do any hard launches with your previous clutch? Or are you one of those drivers that love sitting on that 1st gear engagement to try and smooth out your driving?

I won't chastise you if you are of the latter, but if you are I will "LOL" just a tad. I got a friend like that who friggen loves riding his clutch out on 1st gear. I tell him all the time clutch jobs aren't fun lol...

Thread Information