Close

Thread: 02 Civic SI

02 Civic SI

new to the forum. I can get ahold of a 2002 civic si with 89,000, clean title, but motor does have a tick in it, for $1900, and a 4 hour drive. Would you guys do it?

Welcome!

Given the fact that it is that cheap, if nothing is wrong with it except for the engine you could always swap out the engine for a decent price and it'd still be a good deal. If the engine has a tick though it clearly was either beaten on or poorly maintained. I'd be concerned about the transmission as well.

Yeah, I'd definitely go for it. Mine has a clatter when I cold start it, lol. But, it has had a hard life. Original head, but the shortblock got replaced 100k miles ago, it uhh, broke. Proper broke. Car definitely got flat-bedded to the dealer when it was stock and under the 100k mile extended warranty. Once at 99,982 miles for a transmission. Service manager hated my whole family.

The tick is possibly not from lack of maintenance or beating, there is a known issue with the intake cam on 2002's not being properly heat treated and they get pitting. I'm sure mine are doing it, but it's ticked since 45k miles.

I would definitely do it. But that's just cuz I have kpro now and I know I can so a swap. I would say pull the trigger. Swap a k24a1 head with injectors and you are good to go.

Just because it has a noticeable tic that doesnt mean its over for that engine, could be a bad pulley, or the valve lash could need to be adjusted.

do it.
    I was lucky and got mine for 3,000 with blown shocks and i'm happy. for the price you can buy a new a3 for another 300-600 and swap that is if you want to stay stock.

Quote Originally Posted by gribly View Post
    Yeah, I'd definitely go for it. Mine has a clatter when I cold start it, lol. But, it has had a hard life. Original head, but the shortblock got replaced 100k miles ago, it uhh, broke. Proper broke. Car definitely got flat-bedded to the dealer when it was stock and under the 100k mile extended warranty. Once at 99,982 miles for a transmission. Service manager hated my whole family.

The tick is possibly not from lack of maintenance or beating, there is a known issue with the intake cam on 2002's not being properly heat treated and they get pitting. I'm sure mine are doing it, but it's ticked since 45k miles.
    FUCK THE SERVICE WRITERS, and especially the manager, if there was ever a grouping of people that didnt know shit about their job, its Honda service writers, glad they got fucked at 99,982, nice job.

yea, i would run, not walk to get an ep3 for 1900, that thing would be gettin built, but hey, i know a guy that just got one with 70k on it for a grand with kpro and a k24a2, and 6 speed!!!!!!, and it was an 04, i wish i was joking but i am not.

definitely do it. i jumped through hoops to get my 02 ep3 and spent a little too much on it, but im extremely happy and i love this car. worth every cent

Thread Information