Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    When I wash my 9 year old, economy compact sports car to get bird poop and tree sap off of it, I use dish soap. I use microfiber sponges that I've been using for over a year now and dropped on the ground multiple times only to rinse off, and I'm never consistent about wiping in circles vs. straight lines. Afterwards, I use wax out of a 9 dollar bottle that I found at AutoZone. And when I'm done, my 9 year old economy compact sports car looks better than 99% of the cars in my town of 90,000 people.

Sometimes perfection has to give way to practicality. I don't have 12 hours to spend on my car and I don't have more than about 40 dollars to drop on cleaning products. Dish soap is an excellent general detergent and it works a lot better in preserving the finish of a car than bird poop or tree sap do. While I can always appreciate a theoretical discussion on the perfect car wash and I can certainly appreciate the scientific method being used here to observe the effects on a car's finish, I think it's important to bear in mind that most of our audience (drivers of a car that hasn't been produced since 2005) probably isn't looking for a top of the line detail.
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

Registered User mitchlikesbikes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Draw7Seven View Post
    When I wash my 9 year old, economy compact sports car to get bird poop and tree sap off of it, I use dish soap. I use microfiber sponges that I've been using for over a year now and dropped on the ground multiple times only to rinse off, and I'm never consistent about wiping in circles vs. straight lines. Afterwards, I use wax out of a 9 dollar bottle that I found at AutoZone. And when I'm done, my 9 year old economy compact sports car looks better than 99% of the cars in my town of 90,000 people.

Sometimes perfection has to give way to practicality. I don't have 12 hours to spend on my car and I don't have more than about 40 dollars to drop on cleaning products. Dish soap is an excellent general detergent and it works a lot better in preserving the finish of a car than bird poop or tree sap do. While I can always appreciate a theoretical discussion on the perfect car wash and I can certainly appreciate the scientific method being used here to observe the effects on a car's finish, I think it's important to bear in mind that most of our audience (drivers of a car that hasn't been produced since 2005) probably isn't looking for a top of the line detail.
    dish soap is fantastic ONLY if you follow it with wax or sealant (like you do).

i've also kinda fallen off the detailing bandwagon. clean enough to look good and function is good for me. no need for perfection. i don't build show cars :)

Somewhat on topic, but how long is too long to leave brake dust on wheels? My silver wheels are anthracite (nearly black), but I fucking hate washing cars.

They've been that way since tearing up all of East TN/ West NC a few weeks ago. Brembo OEM pads are incredibly dusty, but I'll be god damned if they don't stop well.

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    My only understanding is that it just gets harder and harder to remove, so the more often you do it the less scrubbing you'll do in the end before it bakes on. I think P2S gel is the wheel cleaner I've heard the best shit about for penetrating layers of brake dust and requiring little to no scrubbing. You leave it on for a minute or two and then spray clean. I bet those wheels are a bitch to clean with those little crevices.
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

As Draw7Seven noted the sooner you get to it the easier it is to remove. It also helps if you use a coating or sealant or some waxes on the wheels once they are clean.

P21S Gel is a good wheel cleaner. The US version is green but there is a stronger pink "power" version sold in Europe if you want to direct import or know anyone making the trip who might bring you some. There are also a number of good wheel cleaners out now that chemically react with brake dust and change color in the process: 1Z einszett ColourTec, Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner and SONAX Full Effect are all good. If those won't shift it you are left with the moderately strong alkaline or acidic wheel cleaners but those are pretty nasty and I would only go there as a last resort.

For wheel coating/sealant/waxes some good options include Optimum Opti-Coat, Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax (arguably not really a wax as it contain no natural waxes) and Collinite No. 476s or No. 845 Insulator Wax. Most waxes can't take the heat so aside from those mentioned I would avoid waxes.

Quote Originally Posted by cow View Post
    Somewhat on topic, but how long is too long to leave brake dust on wheels? My silver wheels are anthracite (nearly black), but I fucking hate washing cars.

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/977631_10151669596644245_364390700_o.jpg[img]

They've been that way since tearing up all of East TN/ West NC a few weeks ago. Brembo OEM pads are incredibly dusty, but I'll be god damned if they don't stop well.
    I switched to stoptech pads from oem brembos to reduce dusting and save a little money and there is a significant reduction in stopping power. But its soooo inconvenient to wash my wheels once a week. I need teflon coating on my wheels.

Eh, I need the stopping power as the car is predominantly for autox (I only drive it about 5000-6000 miles a year). I may just stick with the OEM Brembos, as the brake dust only accumulates after serious use (ie: mountains).

I fully admit to searching out of laziness, hoping for both stopping power & lack of dust. I'd run ceramic pads, but I don't really generate enough heat during six minute long runs.

My wheels are still dirty, though.

Kimber Raptor II Drunken Yak inc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cow View Post
    Eh, I need the stopping power as the car is predominantly for autox (I only drive it about 5000-6000 miles a year). I may just stick with the OEM Brembos, as the brake dust only accumulates after serious use (ie: mountains).

I fully admit to searching out of laziness, hoping for both stopping power & lack of dust. I'd run ceramic pads, but I don't really generate enough heat during six minute long runs.

My wheels are still dirty, though.
    A really good, yet cheap rim/tire cleaner is Mequiar's All Purpose Cleaner in a spray bottle. It can be diluted 10:1 and is only $12 a gallon. It also works great as an interior/everything cleaner.

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-D1010.../dp/B0006SH4GE

Edit: If I'm not mistaken, brake dust is corrosive and will damage the wheel finish if left on for long periods of time... But I could be remembering it differently.

I have only washed my car once or twice this year... The rest of the time I've just used a spray detailer/Waterless Car Wash and a few microfibers every time she leaves the garage. Takes 15 minutes compared to 3 hours and have yet to cause a swirl mark.

Oh, and If Kari Byron knew what I wanted to do to her, she would let me...
    Last edited by Drunken Yak inc; 06-17-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Kimber Raptor II Drunken Yak inc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead228 View Post
    Hmm good testing. I been washing my car with dawn soap for awhile and no problem with it.. I perfer it over car soap cuz it cleans it a lot better IMO
    I used the Chemical Guy's Citrus Wash specifically because it is capable of stripping wax depending on the concentration.
    Last edited by powdbyrice; 05-03-2009 at 09:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information