Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What upgrades to K24A2 for more power?

So, eventually, might go turbo, but that's WAY out there....in the short term, I'm wondering what I could do to bump performance from the barely over 200whp I'm seeing now.

Current setup-
    06 K24A2 W/RBB
    50*VTC(not in right now, will be soon)
    Custom short intake
    PLM/KRRH header, 2.5'' high flow cat, OBX twin loop
    Z3 Trans internals in RSX case(6spd+LSD)
    Avid motor mounts

Different intake manifold, cams, TB? Something else?

Ideas...
    RBC/RRC ported/port matched/stock, 70mm hybrid racing TB/Type-S TB/other TB(overkill for stock cams), and thermal gaskets? Should net me something decent with the 50*VTC?
    Last edited by ryboto; 05-31-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Damn. Im in the process of a k24a2 swap and this is scary lol. What is your exaxt whp after kpro tuned? Ever think of jrsc?

Again, it's estimated, and I could be 10hp above or below my actual whp because virtual dyno relies on accurate vehicle weight. Could also be a tune that isn't the best it could be.. I'm just using it as a point of reference. Best case, I might be around 210whp, but I still think it could get better. I don't want to spend that much on boosting just yet...first I'll finish this etune, then I'm planning a paint job, then I might get back into upgrading the performance beyond changing the intake around a bit.

So, I've got two suggestions from people so far in addition to Hondata thermal IMG-
    RBC+70mm HR throttle body
    RBC+RSX Type-S throttle body
    Last edited by ryboto; 05-31-2013 at 07:49 AM.

type s throttle body is the same as the EP3 btw....

RBC port matched to a max bore stock TB, RSX-S CAI, 50deg VTC. you should see a significant bump from that. my best advice though- find a good tuner

I just worry about CAI's up here...LOTS of slush/water in the winter. is it really going to make that much of a difference over an SRI?

Would a K24A4 throttle body fit?

injen makes a hydro shield for CAI filters- i use one and it works like a charm. just avoid deep puddles if that wasn't obvious enough. i am not too sure about the k24a4 throttle body- i think it might be a drive by wire but dont quote me on that. just use your stock a3 throttle body. I have an extra one sitting in my parts bin if you really need one

I asked because someone on k20a had a k24a4 throttle body for $20, on clubrsx there's a k20a throttle body already bored for $140...wasn't sure which would be the most economical. I can't be without my car, which is why I'm looking for another one to potentially have bored out.

differentK, I'd PM you, but it says your inbox is full..

Why didnt you slap a hondata gasket before you drop the motor in. I heard those gasket add 5% hp i could be wrong. I would consider stage 1 cams if you wanna stay allmotor.

Quote Originally Posted by klik View Post
    Why didnt you slap a hondata gasket before you drop the motor in. I heard those gasket add 5% hp i could be wrong. I would consider stage 1 cams if you wanna stay allmotor.
    Installing a new gasket shouldn't be super difficult with the motor in, so I'm not worried about that. As for cams, maybe that's a bit beyond the upgrade budget I was thinking of I think...can you recommend something specific, brands to consider?

Would bigger injectors be a good bang for buck addition?

Also, is a 70mm K20A throttle body for $140 a good deal?

edit- now I'm hearing mixed opinions of tapered throttle bodies and straight through!
    Last edited by ryboto; 05-31-2013 at 01:26 PM.

We have the same setup with the exception of the VTC. I have the 50* VTC.

Unless you get different aftermarket cams, the RBC will do nothing other than result in a loss of torque. You could go with a CAI or a custom AirBox to gain a bit more. The airbox will give you the security of no hydro lock possibility even though it's unlikely to happen.

If you want to make more power you'll need cams and an RRC manifold as logical next steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Slip_Angle View Post
    We have the same setup with the exception of the VTC. I have the 50* VTC.

Unless you get different aftermarket cams, the RBC will do nothing other than result in a loss of torque. You could go with a CAI or a custom AirBox to gain a bit more. The airbox will give you the security of no hydro lock possibility even though it's unlikely to happen.

If you want to make more power you'll need cams and an RRC manifold as logical next steps.
    You're the first person I've heard this from. Lots recommend RBC and port match TB to be the best bang for buck to take advantage of the 50*VTC. I read in a lot of threads that the RBB doesn't need beyond the stock 25*VTC. Unless you have other references? Even the 3 tuners I've been talking to about this engine have said I should see gains from going RBC.
    Last edited by ryboto; 05-31-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
    You're the first person I've heard this from. Lots recommend RBC and port match TB to be the best bang for buck to take advantage of the 50*VTC. I read in a lot of threads that the RBB doesn't need beyond the stock 25*VTC. Unless you have other references? Even the 3 tuners I've been talking to about this engine have said I should see gains from going RBC.
    I spoke with a number of well respected forum members (ephatch, k20a.org etc..) that tried it themselves and had the same results I did. I have tried running the RRC, which is better than the RBC although similar and it wasn't an improvement over the RBB with a mostly stock motor. IE: The mods we both run.

Most of what I see related to the RBC on a k24 is based on either;

1. People who run after market cams and produce more power vs the RBB (which makes sense)
    2. What people have extrapolated based on #1

I have no skin in the game other than to say, I've tried it - dyno'd it and went back to the RBB. One caveat is that I am running the stock TB.

As for the RBB not needing anything beyond 25* of cam, I believe people repeat that based on this article Hondata wrote about a pre 2006 K24a2 (older cams)

http://www.hondata.com/tuning_k24a2_tsx_engine.html

Their testing also showed the RBC lost torque and made no appreciable power gains.. pre 2006 motor though..

My motor made the most power at 45* of CAM from 4000 - 6000 with the RBB. (04 K24a2 with 06 K24a2 cams)
    Last edited by Slip_Angle; 05-31-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slip_Angle View Post
    I spoke with a number of well respected forum members (ephatch, k20a.org etc..) that tried it themselves and had the same results I did. I have tried running the RRC, which is better than the RBC although similar and it wasn't an improvement over the RBB with a mostly stock motor. IE: The mods we both run.

Most of what I see related to the RBC on a k24 is based on either;

1. People who run after market cams and produce more power vs the RBB (which makes sense)
    2. What people have extrapolated based on #1

I have no skin in the game other than to say, I've tried it - dyno'd it and went back to the RBB. One caveat is that I am running the stock TB.

As for the RBB not needing anything beyond 25* of cam, I believe people repeat that based on this article Hondata wrote about a pre 2006 K24a2 (older cams)

http://www.hondata.com/tuning_k24a2_tsx_engine.html

Their testing also showed the RBC lost torque and made no appreciable power gains.. pre 2006 motor though..

My motor made the most power at 45* of CAM from 4000 - 6000 with the RBB. (04 K24a2 with 06 K24a2 cams)

I saw some of the threads you posted in, I still can't make the conclusions you're making when I've got 3 tuners, a friend with experience with K-series engines, and someone else in this thread suggesting I'll see an improvement going to a larger TB with the RBC and 50*VTC. I may some day upgrade the cams, who knows.

Other option is getting the RBB and ep3 throttle body port matched, but that would mean I'd be without my car unless I bought a second RBB and a second throttle body...
    Last edited by ryboto; 05-31-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information