Close

Reverse A/C Fan Direction?

My AC doesn't work so I removed the relay that starts the condenser, however the AC cooling fan still works.

I was wondering if I could reverse it's direction to pull heat out of the engine bay on hot days.

Anyone know if this would work? IE: Reversing the wires?

What direction do the fans typically work? Drawing into the engine? If so, how would you be pushing air out if you're moving forward? You'd be fighting the air coming into the engine bay, and you'd be putting hot air over the radiator. If you were idling, and both fans were operating this way, it could work, I think, but I don't know enough to say you'd see a benefit from running them in different directions. You could test it at idle by just powering it off the battery, right? I imagine they're 12VDC fans? Just get some wires and touch them to the battery.

Typically things heat up when sitting in traffic, where I spend alot of time going to and from work. This is when I was thinking it would be useful to draw the air out of the engine bay. At speed, I wouldn't engage the fans as things should be pretty cool.

The cooling fan will pull in air from in front of the vehicle when stopped, it draws out more heat than if the fans were pulling the air out. Leave it the way it is.

Thread Information