Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OG Lurker

k24a2 swap with Stock Muffler myths and questions.

Hi All,

I'm running a k24a2 with 05/06 RSXs midpipe which has a 2.25"OD and 2.1"ID mated to the stock muffler.

Alot of guys swear by a 2.5" midpipe for the k24a2, but would there actually be any gains upgrading the midpipe to 2.5" when it all goes to a 1.7" bottleneck at the end of the stock muffler? The stock exhaust is known to flow well, but the end of the muffler that connects to the midpipe seems like a major restriction point at 1.7".

In my case, it seems like upgrading the midpipe is kind of pointless because my current diameter is already bigger than the diameter of the end of the stock muffler.

Has anyone actually tested this? Or am I missing something ?

Stock muffler is installed on the UK and Japanese EP3-R that makes 200+ hp stock. I've been running it with my K24a2 for years and make as much power as anyone else... Ignore the people who think bigger is better. Flow is king in my books.

OG Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_Angle View Post
    Stock muffler is installed on the UK and Japanese EP3-R that makes 200+ hp stock. I've been running it with my K24a2 for years and make as much power as anyone else... Ignore the people who think bigger is better. Flow is king in my books.
    I do prefer to stick with stock, but the question is the midpipe and whether or not going any larger than 2.25" is beneficial when the end of the muffler is only 1.7" on the stock EP muffler.

In fact I'm starting to wonder if even the factory midpipe which is 1.7" is good enough given it's all flowing to 1.7" at the end of the muffler.

I cut off the 1.7" pipe on my muffler and mated it with a 2.5... The factory midpipe is a bottle neck. Have you dyno'd the car with the k24a2?

OG Lurker
    I sure did. 201HP 165tq on dynojet. Mods were following

08 k24a2 with rbb
    stock cam gear
    rsxs Aemv2 cut with 3.5" filter
    Dc5r header, cat, midpipe
    stock ep3 exhaust

Since then I have got a customer 3.5" cai ,PLM header with carsound cat, and 50 vtc and will be dynoing again once ready.

I'm going to look into chopping up the stock muffler and using a 2.5" piping while upgrading the midpipe too. Hopefully it wont kill the muffler too much with all that flow going in.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteComet View Post
    I sure did. 201HP 165tq on dynojet. Mods were following

08 k24a2 with rbb
    stock cam gear
    rsxs Aemv2 cut with 3.5" filter
    Dc5r header, cat, midpipe
    stock ep3 exhaust

Since then I have got a customer 3.5" cai ,PLM header with carsound cat, and 50 vtc and will be dynoing again once ready.

I'm going to look into chopping up the stock muffler and using a 2.5" piping while upgrading the midpipe too. Hopefully it wont kill the muffler too much with all that flow going in.
    Looks like a solid list. You should see gains and the stock muffler will be fine. Mine's been on the car for 10+ years with the stock motor, supercharged and then K24a2. Still fine.

I'll be interested to see the dyno due to the 3.5" CAI. That's pretty large piping and I'm surprised you were able to fit it.

OG Lurker
    the 3.5" cai made a HUGE difference. Right after the install I did one dynojet pull untuned and made 205HP off the bat. A 4hp difference from intake alone is great imo.

For fitment, I have a odyssey oc680 battery with the relocation bracket and used this custom kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Airaid-100-350...ake+airaid+ubi

It has all the bends needed to make a CAI with an extra to make a SRI too. The plastic is really thick so the ID is closer to 3.3" rather than 3.5" But its high quality stuff

My thinking is the extra hp came from the inherent advantage of the CAI vs the V2. I can't really see the 3.5" making a difference because the TB will limit the air flow anyways. Could be wrong though..

I do like that intake tubing you found. Looks great. It won't retain heat like metal pipe so that will help intake temps.

OG Lurker
    yeah you might be right. However the original dyno at 201 with the cut up AEMv2 was with the hood open and fan blowing on it. Would the temps change that much with the CAI? Then again the 3.5 CAI tubing is longer so it might be better for air velocity...

The tubing is really heavy duty. Possibly as heavy duty as the stock airbox. I do see what you mean with the stock 3" throttle body limiting things..but it still might be better than a 3"cai due to the funneling effect from the 3.5" to 3".
    Last edited by WhiteComet; 06-14-2013 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteComet View Post
    yeah you might be right. However the original dyno at 201 with the cut up AEMv2 was with the hood open and fan blowing on it. Would the temps change that much with the CAI? Then again the 3.5 CAI tubing is longer so it might be better for air velocity...

The tubing is really heavy duty. Possibly as heavy duty as the stock airbox. I do see what you mean with the stock 3" throttle body limiting things..but it still might be better than a 3"cai due to the funneling effect from the 3.5" to 3".
    whitecomet. Is there anyway you can take a pix of that engine bay? And how did you route the cai around the battery? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klik View Post
    whitecomet. Is there anyway you can take a pix of that engine bay? And how did you route the cai around the battery? Thanks
    I did the same thing, 3.5'' with the RBB, I'll take a picture of it sometime...it's TIGHT. One of the coolant lines is right up against the plastic battery cover...might eventually move that, not sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
    I did the same thing, 3.5'' with the RBB, I'll take a picture of it sometime...it's TIGHT. One of the coolant lines is right up against the plastic battery cover...might eventually move that, not sure yet.
    thanks pm me pix if you can.

Had to relocate the ground, but I was able to keep the battery/fuse box in the stock location. In the future I might relocate the battery to somewhere else in the engine bay, and then have fewer turns in the CAI. I had to use 4 silicon combiners, the one you don't see is connecting the elbow that the filter is mounted to to the piece of pipe that drops outside the engine bay. 3.5'' is not ideal in our cars as far as routing with the battery/fuse box....

I may put my stock muffler back on after reading this. I have a Megon axle back and I am getting tired of the drone at partial throttle. Its got a resonator and a high flow cat but still doesn't sound right. Sounds great at full throttle and idle, but the rest of the time it has that drone. I was considering putting another resonator in, but I do miss the sound of the stock muffler. If its not a performance restrictor then I'm all for it.

Stock axleback ftw!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information