Close

Cool Wanting to get an ep3..

Hey everybody, I've been a member on this forum a while, just lurking around. I own a 93 CB7, and it is my first car. I've had it exactly a year now, and I have tons of plans for it. I'm over at cb7tuner.com with this same username and that site rocks. Posts everyday, with hundreds of people. This site, well, not so much. My main question is one that has a lot of factors: Should I get an ep3? My mom wants me to get a newer car, with lowish miles and it be less than 10 years old. With performance, good looks, maintenance costs, insurance costs(I'm 17 about to be a senior in HS), and modification costs, I've have decided that the ep3 is my favorite car that fits the criteria. I know I won't be boosting it, and if anything, I'll probably only try to hit a goal of 200hp with the stock k20. No motor swaps, no boosting. I want a quick zippy track like car, instead of something like my accord, which is a sedan and lowered a lot with fnf coils. My accord will stay my project, and after I've got paint, interior, and drivetrain modification done, I'll probably park it and keep the baby like it is. Forever. That being said, I want this ep3 to be a project, but a dd project. I'll probably end up putting just as much if not more money into suspension, brakes, and tires, than engine. I love the hot hatch compared to the rsx"coupe cruiser", and I am more performance minded than looks. Except on the HFP body kit that is on the Type R's, I plan to eventually have all the lips and spoiler from a type r on the ep3, if I get one. They just look weird without it. This car will also be two seater, and will probably seat my Honda Ruckus scooter when i go off to college. With a budget of about $8000, and living in Tn, most ep3's ar around 6500, I will only be able to get the HFP bodykit.. No performance mods. And I can already see $1500 for I/H/E, and at least $2000 for suspension and brakes. I have a part time job and get about $300 a month to save for my car now, but I still have an expected $3000 in that project, of which I only have $1100. I can always put my cb7 project on the backburner if I were to get a newer car, anyways, though. What do you guys think? What should I look for in an ep3? How does it compare to other newer model Honda's? I don't care too much about practicality, as I am a high schooler and will be a college kit for 4 years, and then grad school. I think it is a cost effective car that has a lot of potential in the right hands, and I love Honda's. Give me some advice and tips to watch out for when buying an ep3. Thanks! Turbos, Titanium valve springs, and limited slip differentials!!

Quote Originally Posted by honda2014 View Post
    Hey everybody, I've been a member on this forum a while, just lurking around. I own a 93 CB7, and it is my first car. I've had it exactly a year now, and I have tons of plans for it. I'm over at cb7tuner.com with this same username and that site rocks. Posts everyday, with hundreds of people. This site, well, not so much. My main question is one that has a lot of factors: Should I get an ep3? My mom wants me to get a newer car, with lowish miles and it be less than 10 years old. With performance, good looks, maintenance costs, insurance costs(I'm 17 about to be a senior in HS), and modification costs, I've have decided that the ep3 is my favorite car that fits the criteria. I know I won't be boosting it, and if anything, I'll probably only try to hit a goal of 200hp with the stock k20. No motor swaps, no boosting. I want a quick zippy track like car, instead of something like my accord, which is a sedan and lowered a lot with fnf coils. My accord will stay my project, and after I've got paint, interior, and drivetrain modification done, I'll probably park it and keep the baby like it is. Forever. That being said, I want this ep3 to be a project, but a dd project. I'll probably end up putting just as much if not more money into suspension, brakes, and tires, than engine. I love the hot hatch compared to the rsx"coupe cruiser", and I am more performance minded than looks. Except on the HFP body kit that is on the Type R's, I plan to eventually have all the lips and spoiler from a type r on the ep3, if I get one. They just look weird without it. This car will also be two seater, and will probably seat my Honda Ruckus scooter when i go off to college. With a budget of about $8000, and living in Tn, most ep3's ar around 6500, I will only be able to get the HFP bodykit.. No performance mods. And I can already see $1500 for I/H/E, and at least $2000 for suspension and brakes. I have a part time job and get about $300 a month to save for my car now, but I still have an expected $3000 in that project, of which I only have $1100. I can always put my cb7 project on the backburner if I were to get a newer car, anyways, though. What do you guys think? What should I look for in an ep3? How does it compare to other newer model Honda's? I don't care too much about practicality, as I am a high schooler and will be a college kit for 4 years, and then grad school. I think it is a cost effective car that has a lot of potential in the right hands, and I love Honda's. Give me some advice and tips to watch out for when buying an ep3. Thanks! Turbos, Titanium valve springs, and limited slip differentials!!
    I bolded where I quoted you for a reason. That will never happen without putting in a good amount of work and at minimum $2000.

Also, the thing with EP's is the stock K20A3 is somewhat lacking without boost. Something to look out for is some of the earlier 02-03 models had a cam galling issue if the owners kept using the factory "recommended" 5W-20. The oil would be too thin to properly lubricate the cam lobes and when the oil would shear down it would be thinner than before and you have the problem I mentioned.

Coming up on 4 years of ownership with my EP and a LOT of experience and work I've done on it, I'll say that you will do SOMETHING with the stock engine or swap it at the very least. The stock engine is super unresponsive compared to the rest of the K family when it comes to bolt on performance. It wasn't until I turbocharged it with a used basic Greddy kit that the car felt more alive and put together. After that I swapped in a K20Z3/A2 hybrid I pieced together and ever since I actually LOVE the car; this is what every EP should've had installed instead of the K20A3.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF EP3 View Post
    I bolded where I quoted you for a reason. That will never happen without putting in a good amount of work and at minimum $2000.

Also, the thing with EP's is the stock K20A3 is somewhat lacking without boost. Something to look out for is some of the earlier 02-03 models had a cam galling issue if the owners kept using the factory "recommended" 5W-20. The oil would be too thin to properly lubricate the cam lobes and when the oil would shear down it would be thinner than before and you have the problem I mentioned.

Coming up on 4 years of ownership with my EP and a LOT of experience and work I've done on it, I'll say that you will do SOMETHING with the stock engine or swap it at the very least. The stock engine is super unresponsive compared to the rest of the K family when it comes to bolt on performance. It wasn't until I turbocharged it with a used basic Greddy kit that the car felt more alive and put together. After that I swapped in a K20Z3/A2 hybrid I pieced together and ever since I actually LOVE the car; this is what every EP should've had installed instead of the K20A3.
    Did you upgrade internals? Would an a2 head be a significant upgrade while keeping it n/a? I'm either gonna turbo my cb7 or the ep3. Thing is, I don't have one yet, but I know I will want to modify it. I've driven a stock one, and while a cool car, it was nothing amazing. Also, how much boost are you running/ what size is your turbo?

boost is fun on any car.

if you don't want it to feel lacking swapping a k20a2 motor or as a lot of people are doing now is swapping the k24a2 motor in. I personally have the k24a2 and i love it especially for DD this is probably my favorite car i've owned.. reliable and passed smog with the swap :D

Quote Originally Posted by honda2014 View Post
    Did you upgrade internals? Would an a2 head be a significant upgrade while keeping it n/a? I'm either gonna turbo my cb7 or the ep3. Thing is, I don't have one yet, but I know I will want to modify it. I've driven a stock one, and while a cool car, it was nothing amazing. Also, how much boost are you running/ what size is your turbo?
    I used all stock components when I built the K20Z3 block w/K20A2 head. The only parts that are currently aftermarket are my valves, valvetrain, camshafts, and #5 cam tower oiling modification.

I currently don't have the K20Z3/A2 engine turbocharged but when I had the K20A3 I had the Greddy T517Z @ ~8-9psi. The Greddy T517Z is almost identical and equivalent to the Mitsubishi 16G turbo. The T517Z actually uses a Mitsubishi exhaust housing and have the triple diamond logo stamped on them; the difference lies in the Greddy compressor wheel/housing. Actually, most proper turbo shops can rebuild and upgrade the T517Z to 18G or 20G standards for more flow and higher pressures with the same turbo.

I got my ep3 when i was in high school too. my first car was a 95 ej coupe and when i got the ep3 i just fell in love lol i like the more modern feel to it. If you want at least 200 whp i do suggest droping the k24a2 in. thats what our car is lacking is that extra torque since it is under power. I think of our k20a3 in Kseries as a d16 in the Bseries. But that's why they make bigger better motors where you can drop in

I think I'll get one. I am about to buy a prelude for 1800 dollars, rebuild the motor, and if I don't like it as much as an ep3, I will flip it for an ep3 and some cash. it's really nice, just needs a drop and maybe another set of wheels. i could easily get 8 grand out of it with all the parts that it has.

Buy the ep and swap a k24a2. I got a motor on car-parts.com for 1600 shipped. 07 tsx with 30k miles.

Thread Information