Close

Thread: Retune.

Retune.

So last time I was tuned was last summer. I made 163whp and 138 ftlbs. I'm just curious how often you guys bring your cars to get a tune. Should the car be tuned seasonally just tuned once and left alone?

Thanks for the advice. Oh my setup is just cold air intake race header and a catback on my a3 with kpro. Thanks for the help fellas.
    Last edited by dave6riv; 05-13-2009 at 01:38 PM.

If you live somewhere the climate changes a lot (seems like you do) I would personally prefer two different tunes; one for summer another for winter.

But you have a stock engine, you really wouldn't see any benefit from this. Not as much as the forced induction and high output N/A guys.

Ok. I can see your in the Air Force. In in the navy on naval station norfolk. Here during the summer it gets. 90-100 degrees Fahrenheit. Winter is 35-5 degrees Fahrenheit. What would you recommend. I am at sea level obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Powers View Post
    Ok. I can see your in the Air Force. In in the navy on naval station norfolk. Here during the summer it gets. 90-100 degrees Fahrenheit. Winter is 35-5 degrees Fahrenheit. What would you recommend. I am at sea level obviously.
    Well, when winter rolls around I would datalog with a laptop to check and see if you're running lean (due to denser air, especially at sea level). If not, then the closed loop system (if enabled) should be doing its job by trimming the fuel tables to keep the A/F ratio at/near 14.7. If you're seeing erratic A/F numbers I would recommend a retune, if not then there's nothing to worry about.

Closed loop only works up to a certain load, on NA its basically anything thats not WOT. During simple cruising (highway) you wont see erradic AFR, but the usual ~14.7, but while accelerating and normal stop and go kind of driving where you're in and out of the throttle (city) you will see the full range of AFRs while under closed loop, frrom 11.5-32.0:1.

What you want to see is WOT AFR right after the tune, that way you have a reference to what it should look like in case it does go out of whack. a fresh tune will/should have a pretty solid AFR throughout the RPMS, maybe slightly increasing in richness as rpms go higher. Your WOT is typically (see 99.9% of the time) in open loop, therefore, the ecu does not adjust the fuel for that operation. That is why you get seasonal tunes, or retunes after a significant mod.

Thread Information