Close

Awkward front end wobbling :(

so ive had my baby since 2002, shes at 126k. i started developing a small barely noticeable shimmy on acceleration like a month ago, it started getting worse and worse, thought maybe it was a balance issue, i got the tires(that are less than 3 months old) rebalanced & issue persisted. changed both balljoints with MOOGs and problem decreased slightly but still persists.

description of issue:

under soft acceleration(driving like a grandpa and slowly accelerating) i feel nothing. when i go heavy on the gas and hit about 2.5k-4k rpm and within the 30-40mph mark i get a side to side shake, i feel it on the chasis and on the steering wheel. once im on the eway and off the throttle it ceases and is not noticeable.

again the problem was worse before the balljoint replacement, the car felt like it was going to fall apart.

the motormounts look good still and when the car was elevated, placed in drive and floored there was no noticeable shake in the engine bay.

any imput would be great. im at a lose as to where to go next.

thanks,

DTR

Check tranny motor mount. I have the same problem and its the motor mount this whole time.

Thanks I will check that out this weekend. What's throwing me off is that its occurring only on accel... not on coasting or above 65/70mph
    Last edited by DTR; 07-02-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Check your control arm bushings and wheel bearings as well. If your bushings are shot, under load the deflection will cause the wheel to (obviously) point in an altered direction. That might be something to look at. I had a wheel bearing crap out on me that did not hum but make a knocking sound. I found it odd but with the bearing removed, the outer race had cracked in 2 places. Never seen that before personally, but a new bearing resolved that problem.

are you lowered?
    PSN: theehuggybear

Thread Information