Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RSX A Spec vs DC5R suspension differences?

Does anyone know the basic differences between the two setups, specifically the amount each would lower an EP3?

I've read that the a spec lowers an ep3 about .75 inches, but can't find a definitive answer about the dc5r.

Also which is stiffer?

Thanks

No one really knows but popular opinion is that they are the same. The next step to lower and firmer is Mugen at 1.4" and a little stiffer, iirc.

that guy w/ the face poeticfinesse21's Avatar
    Here's my car on DC5-R suspension, 16x7 +40 wheels and 225/50R16 tires:

I have about a 2 finger gap in the front and 2 1/2 finger gap in the rear. I rode in a friends RSX with A-spec suspension a few years back and my car feels no different. It's considerably stiffer than stock but still smooth enough for my 2 year old daughter to instantly fall asleep on a drive. I'm convinced that Type-R, A-spec and HFP suspensions are all almost the same if not identical.

Looks good, Poetic. I think you're right about them being the same or almost.

Quote Originally Posted by poeticfinesse21 View Post
    I have about a 2 finger gap in the front and 2 1/2 finger gap in the rear. I rode in a friends RSX with A-spec suspension a few years back and my car feels no different. It's considerably stiffer than stock but still smooth enough for my 2 year old daughter to instantly fall asleep on a drive. I'm convinced that Type-R, A-spec and HFP suspensions are all almost the same if not identical.
    Great info, thank you. Any other pics of the car?

So now the real question is... what should I look out for when buying a used DC5R suspension? I dont want to buy a used one only to find out the tophats are shot, or they clunk, or something else. Any suggestions or experiences to share?

Shop around, ask a million questions and ask for a million pictures. Buying used suspension is always a gamble but just do your research before you buy. I do recommend that you buy new top hats though. I've put about 40k on my suspension since I bought it and I've started to develop a clunk. I suspect the top hats are to blame.

I believe there's two different types of aspec suspensions too. 05-06 is a bit stiffer then 02-04. Personally I bought the 05-06 aspecs just incase.

Either the tophats or the Chicago roads (I live in the city as well)!

Interesting though - I might as well pony up for the A Spec since it is brand spanking new and I wont have to worry about tophats going bad (or struts for that matter) for quite some time.

I love the aspecs man. Aspecs some good tires nice fat rear sway and a good alignment will do wonders to you cars handling.

I was broke and riding on blown shocks so I couldn't turn down $300 shipped for a DC5-R suspension. Otherwise I would've bought a new A-spec kit. Oh well, now I have a reason to upgrade the shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Powers View Post
    I love the aspecs man. Aspecs some good tires nice fat rear sway and a good alignment will do wonders to you cars handling.
    Nice, I am new to the EP3 world (but have owned a ton of Hondas/Acuras), so this is all new to me. Especially the strange notion of not being able to lower the car a couple of inches without screwing up the handling!

Kind of off-topic, but what is your take on the Eibach 23mm rear sway bar? I can get it for about $110 shipped. It is at least as good as the RSX-S one I assume...
    Last edited by syncmaster; 07-22-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by poeticfinesse21 View Post
    I was broke and riding on blown shocks so I couldn't turn down $300 shipped for a DC5-R suspension. Otherwise I would've bought a new A-spec kit. Oh well, now I have a reason to upgrade the shocks
    Indeed :) What are your plans for replacement shocks? Going to keep the R springs I assume...

Quote Originally Posted by Powers View Post
    I believe there's two different types of aspec suspensions too. 05-06 is a bit stiffer then 02-04. Personally I bought the 05-06 aspecs just incase.
    I have an 02-04 set of A-Spec springs and DC5 dampers in the garage. The springs are softer.
    Last edited by Hasbro; 07-22-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
    Indeed :) What are your plans for replacement shocks? Going to keep the R springs I assume...
    Bilstein shocks, Type-R springs and Moog top hats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information