Close

Thread: k20a3 turbo.

k20a3 turbo.

I have two a3 motors and I decided to build the one thats not in my car up for turbo. What all would i need to do to the motor to get it fully turbo ready? This is my first build and ill be doing the work myself so all the input would be much appreciated.

how much power are you looking for? because there are probably cheaper solutions than a full build

The K20A3 has been proven daily driven reliably up to and at ~300WHP. Anything more than that and it's a fine line between smooth and KABOOM!

Anything above that you will have to swap out the guts of the block for some better components. If you sourced an A2/Z1 crank, rods, pistons, oil pump, and cylinder head you can achieve over 400WHP with the appropriate supporting modifications of course.

The best part about the A2/Z1 parts I mentioned above is that it's all OEM and can handle all that power. You don't need forged internals until about over 500WHP, and even then there have been blocks proven to hold that. If you hop over to K20a.org, they have a TON of information on OEM builds with turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF EP3 View Post
    The K20A3 has been proven daily driven reliably up to and at ~300WHP. Anything more than that and it's a fine line between smooth and KABOOM!

Anything above that you will have to swap out the guts of the block for some better components. If you sourced an A2/Z1 crank, rods, pistons, oil pump, and cylinder head you can achieve over 400WHP with the appropriate supporting modifications of course.

The best part about the A2/Z1 parts I mentioned above is that it's all OEM and can handle all that power. You don't need forged internals until about over 500WHP, and even then there have been blocks proven to hold that. If you hop over to K20a.org, they have a TON of information on OEM builds with turbo.

so if i just got a2/z1 internals i should be good for up to 400whp?
    This is my first motor build and im really not sure on what all in the motor im going to have to replace.
    is there any modifications im going to have to do to make the internals work?
    Also will i need ecu tuning with kpro or anything?

What internals out of the a2 or z1 should i use? and is there any modifications im going to need to do to use the internals in the a3 head and block?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelhecox View Post
    What internals out of the a2 or z1 should i use? and is there any modifications im going to need to do to use the internals in the a3 head and block?
    When you quoted me in one of your previous posts I listed the main internals you should replace if you proceed with doing this.

Also, if you are inexperienced in building engines or no experience, I highly recommend downloading the Honda Helm's Manual for FREE. Just search on Google and you can find it. The Helm's manual tells you everything you need to know, what tools, and how to do it. That's how I built my first K series, I literally just went by what the manual told me to do. You just follow instructions.

A lot of the K20 parts are interchangeable between each other. If you do a little bit more homework you can find out which parts you want to keep, reuse, toss, or obtain for your build. All of this information is readily available at your fingertips if you just devote the time to read through it.

Thread Information