Close

LudeMutt's Custom Fiberglass Wing

Hey hatchers,

I have been in the market for a wing for my EP for a while now but the options are very limited. From what I've seen, all we have are:

Stock
    HFP
    CTR
    Mugen
    (Replicas of each)

I really want something like the CCC Racing street wing, kind of a duck bill that goes out farther than the HFP one... So I decided to make my own! I've read a bunch of DIY forum posts on fiberglassing and even though this is my first time working with composites, I feel confident enough (someone remind me I said that in a few weeks when I firebomb my failed project).

Here are the supplies I plan on using (* = purchased just for the project)
    *Styrofoam (insulation, 3 big panels)
    *Bondo fiberglass cloth
    *Bondo fiberglass resin
    *Bondo body filler
    Painter's tape
    PAM (to make the mold break easy)
    Protective surgical gloves
    Respirator
    Dremmel
    Sanding blocks
    Hand saw
    Automotive primer
    Hardware (bolts/ nuts)

Stay tuned for updates!
    Last edited by LudeMutt; 08-17-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Reserved

Don't forget the buddy club wing.. I definitely wanna see you accomplish this so keep us updated

Sounds interesting. Fiberglass is tough, but a material such as fleece has made jobs much easier in the past for me personally. Hope everything goes smooth for you bro.

I will get pictures tomorrow, thanks for the comments guys.

If it goes well, I will consider making a few more. A side-project I want to do is make a smaler wing like the EK CTR one and custom make angle brackets for it. (thoughts?)
    Last edited by Heitzke; 05-07-2009 at 08:49 AM.

This is the styrofoam I got. It's insulation foam and that silver layer peels off real easy.

The first cut

Test Fit

The bottom (carving a concave)

Another test fit

The sides

All taped up!

Wow! You made it look easy! - Your whole sculpting skills are great.

I think it looks great, but I feel the squareness of it doesn't sit well with our rounded body. Definitely an awesome job though man.

Though you did make it look easy for us, I'm sure it took quite a bit of work. I look forward to seeing how it turns out. More pics!

i like where u going

Well, the tape I got sucks and it's coming up at the concave. I think I'm going to take it as an opportunity to round it off a bit and re-tape it in three pieces.

Took about 6-7 hours to get to this point. I'll be working on it more slowly throughout the week.
    Last edited by Aug; 05-07-2009 at 03:56 AM.

Update: The painter's tape I used sucked (BLUE Home Depot brand) and didn;t stick very well at all. Plus on the test sheet I did, the reson soaked through a little and ate away at the styrofoam. Since I want to re-use the mold, that's no good.

So I took off all the old tape and re-wrapped it in clear packing tape. I spoke with someone that has some ecperience with resin and he said it sticks better and shouldn;t leak through. I also decided to cast the "side" pieces separate. So I'm going to fully finish the flat top part and then work on the sides. Pictures to follow soon! (hopefully I'll be laying fiberglass tonight)

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth EP3 View Post
    Wow! You made it look easy! - Your whole sculpting skills are great.

I think it looks great, but I feel the squareness of it doesn't sit well with our rounded body. Definitely an awesome job though man.

Though you did make it look easy for us, I'm sure it took quite a bit of work. I look forward to seeing how it turns out. More pics!

Believe it or not, I felt like making the mold was kinda easy. It took a long time and I made a HECK of a mess that I'm sure I will be cleaning up for months but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I haven't "sculpted" since high school and even then, the biggest thing I made was a bar soap sculpture. That first picture shows it cut by a wood hand saw, from there all I did was use a 36-grit sanding sponge to shave off a little at a time. I used a permanent marker to show myself where I needed to shave it down and eye-balled most of it.

I thought making the mold was going to be the hardest part but it wasn't. From here I am going to lay fiberglass on the bottom, mark the "seam" and then cast the top separate. I'm going to fiberglass in washers and hardware so it can be mounted just like the OEM wing. From there, I have to waterproof the holes I don't use and attach the two halfes together.

Then it's sanding, body-filler/ repeat, and primer.

Updates?

DA FAQ are you building ???????????????????????????

Nice work. Keep it up and let us know. It's going to be cool seeing another EP with a duckbill wing.

Thread Information