Close

Going from street to race

Hey all,

Been enjoying my JRSC street since it's been installed. Been thinking of going to the race setup every now and again but keep putting it off because of kpro. I just can't seem to warm up to giving my ECU to Hondata, partly because of all the horrid posts I've come across with counterfeits, Hondata not being helpful to their customers after purchase and/or the unit needing to be re-tuned for winter/spring/summer/fall weather.

I've got a 4.0 pulley, and will need to order the MAP sensor relocation bracket from JR and then get Kpro. The only two caveat's I can see being an issue is that I don't have any aftermarket race header, like the Kpro tune calls for. I have the OEM header going through a cat and into a Tanabe cat back. Where I live there is a visual inspection of the cat, it has to be there. Frankly I'm too old to keep changing parts every time inspection season comes round. The second is that I live in an area that has ever changing weather and if the tune can't account for the temp/weather changes and results in the car being a pig I'm going to just stick with my powercard/street setup, even though that in itself isn't ideal either.

Car currently has 88k on it now. I'm not interested in trying to get more out of what the JRSC platform can give, no 3.8/meth, this is my daily driver and I love the fact that I just every now and again have to check the belt tension/oil in the snout and call it a day. Set and forget, cause if I have to pull a Brian Spilner/O'Conner and carry a laptop with me every time the weather changes I'll pass.

So to those on the level, who've had the JRSC, were not chasing numbers, wanted good solid reliable power that won't blow the motor, what say you on the upgrade from street to race and Kpro and what it brings to the table.

sell it and go k24 best for DD and what u get out of the JRSC can cover almost all your cost in the swap

Ever consider the ghetto race kit? Keep the powercard add the 4.0 and map relocated. This set up is required to run a cat to keep from leaning out... Only thing you need is 330 injectors . Good for about 200hp. Or roughly +20hp bump.

K24a1 /4/8 could also be ran without kpro. Avoid boltons and run 330 injectors..
    Last edited by darkunitzero; 05-09-2009 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tlikethedrink View Post
    Ever consider the ghetto race kit? Keep the powercard add the 4.0 and map relocated. This set up is required to run a cat to keep from leaning out... Only thing you need is 330 injectors . Good for about 200hp. Or roughly +20hp bump.

K24a1 /4/8 could also be ran without kpro. Avoid boltons and run 330 injectors..
    Was what I ended up doing and it worked out perfectly! Plenty of power, and I don't have to worry bout getting locked in with Hondata which is an added bonus!

Don't think too hard 2004ep3hatch's Avatar
    I don't like doing things that way usually. You don't need a laptop everywhere you go, but it's like having a obd2 reader. Once your tuned, you can not worry about it. That's what closed loop is for in Kpro. I myself have bad O2 sensors and have no problem running on my tune only.

Even if you buy a K24, it really is best to get Kpro and a tune for its best potential. I never ran my negr without it so I can't comment.
    Supercharged K24 Frank powered
    PM a Moderator for assistance anytime

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004ep3hatch View Post
    I don't like doing things that way usually. You don't need a laptop everywhere you go, but it's like having a obd2 reader. Once your tuned, you can not worry about it. That's what closed loop is for in Kpro. I myself have bad O2 sensors and have no problem running on my tune only.

Even if you buy a K24, it really is best to get Kpro and a tune for its best potential. I never ran my negr without it so I can't comment.
    This. When a mod starts with the word "-ghetto" u should prolly stay away

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post
    This. When a mod starts with the word "-ghetto" u should prolly stay away
    Just an update, car has been running fine on this setup. Joking aside with the title of the mod being "ghetto", what I find concerning is how everyone touts k-pro as the end all be all, yet do not recognize that it cannot adjust quick enough for fuel changes ie: summer/winter gas. This puts those in the NE area in a bind. I have been told it changes but it doesn't do it fast enough and would require two separate tunes. Believe me when I say that I am not very pleased with the way I did this, it seemed to be the only viable option rather than not getting any support from Hondata, which I had inquired to previously about winter/summer fuel and got no response. Haltech was kind enough to get back to me after I had discovered their ecu but nobody near me works with them so ultimately I rolled the dice and ran the 310cc injectors with a 4" pulley, one step colder plugs, kept my cat as a restrict or plate and relied on my factory ecu to do the rest.

Thread Information