Close

Thread: Big boom!!

Big boom!!

Hoping to get some direction here from people with more experience.

Today I was pulling out of a parking lot in my 02 Si when under first gear as I was starting out I heard a loud CRACK!!, then metallic grinding. Engine on, but no longer mated to transmission. Just revs with metallic sound. Pushing clutch in makes no difference. Clearly something connecting the transmission to engine is now broken.

So big question is what could it be? How much is it likely to cost? Will it be worth it?

My Si has 200,500 mile on it. It burns about 1-2 quarts between oil changes. Engine pulls hard as always, no black or white smoke. I DO NOT baby it. Paint in fair shape with normal pits and swirls, I could not get near good finish with polish, and just gave up. Interior is OK. Open intake, exhaust, short shift kit, cheap coilovers.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Just checked around and found used transmissions from 1,600, to 700 on ebay.

I wonder at what point its fixable versus need a new one? Guess I'll be finding out.

yeah lol, dude just get another one for the price to repair it

Interestingly I found whole engines with much less miles than mine at cheaper prices than just the transmission alone. Guess I'll have to see how much more it would be to just replace the engine.

Any ideas on cost of a transplant?

Replacing the engine maybe a good idea. I've found. K24a4s for around $300 bucks. Look around. Maybe a rsx base tranny could be cheaper?

OP: I used ep3 tranny can be had for < 600 if you search around on k20.org.

I would try to isolate the issue to either the tranny or the Engine. how does the clutch feel? Does the noise go away when you press the clutch?

Any ideas on what the most economical with least extra parts transplant would be? Clearly besides just the same engine with less miles. What about the K20A2 from the RSX does it not list for about 200hp?

most economical / straightforward +1 swap will be the k20a2 from an rsx-s. Direct bolt in, plug in the acura ECU, go get the ECU chipped to your key.. drive.

Quote Originally Posted by galognu View Post
    Any ideas on what the most economical with least extra parts transplant would be? Clearly besides just the same engine with less miles. What about the K20A2 from the RSX does it not list for about 200hp?
    Quote Originally Posted by cyllarus View Post
    most economical / straightforward +1 swap will be the k20a2 from an rsx-s. Direct bolt in, plug in the acura ECU, go get the ECU chipped to your key.. drive.
    Rsx swap would be far pricier than a crv k24a1 swap. Crv swap would be more direct also. Would be close performance wise...

Trailered it to the shop today. Will find out late next week what the damage is. Think I'll just fix the transmission. No plug and play engine swaps, and it would be a lot more on labor. I have a TTRX-7 to feed.

Thread Information