Close

z3 Tranny Swap Question, Case Drilling / tapping & Dakota Digital Wiring.

Hey everyone.

I've got my hands on a Z3 tranny and am going through the process of fitting it to my EP3.

I am using Papi's write up on how to use a dakota digital to convert the high frequency Z3 speedo signal to the low frequency signal needed by the ECU.
    http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread...dakota+digital

But I am a bit confused by his wiring diagram, he says the input signal gets wired to the old speedo, and the output gets wired to the NEW speedo? Why would i even have the old speedo in the engine bay?

Cant I just splice the new VSS into my existing harness, then wire the Daktoa digital in between the VSS and the ECU on the signal wire?

Also: I am swapping a RSX Shift Mechanism according to this thread:
    http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40933
    One update here that everyone might find interesting: The above thread says you can only get 3 of the 4 mounting bolts to work when you mount the RSX shifter to the Z3 case, and one of the bolts has to have a hole drilled / tapped for it to mount. ( If you read through the above thread you will see a picture of the 3 bolts mounted, and one open spot with no bolt in it.

With some careful inspection I found that the case is actually setup to drill / tap the 4th bolt too. Below is a picture of the Z3 case with 2 bolt holes drilled to accept the RSX shift mechanism

In this photo, the hole on the upper left, and the lower left were drilled and tapped by me. The hole that is 1 down on the left, and on the bottom in the middle are the factory bolt holes.

And the mounted Shifter, note how my picture differs from the one in the above thread, Look at the upper left of the shifter, and the fact that I DO have a bolt there.

Good job tapping that 4th bolt. most kids would just have hondabombed it and called it good, As for the http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...roduct_id=126/

I never used that product before, the diagram it seems is using a series of sensors being powered up, but maybe because one is not being used it's adding resistances to help maintain voltage for the speedo to work properly? I have no clue man but shit , let us know.

Wiring-1.jpg

The Z3 case can be drilled and tapped to use the EP speed sensor. The casting marks are already there. : )

yea, was aware the Z# case could accept the low freq VSS, but that requires more mechanical finesse, and opening the case. Neither which I was too keen on doing..

So feel that this mod, which requires less modification to the transmission, was the better route.

Roger that. It is a little more intensive, to be sure you leave no shavings inside.

Sorry im not much help on the converter box. : (

@ Ba.. thats it. you are on the ninja assassinate list once I train up my army of attack ninja-pugs

LOL! i have a pug.... too damn funny

seriously though.. anyone know the answer?

USAF EP3 WHERE ARE YOU..

Quote Originally Posted by cyllarus View Post
    seriously though.. anyone know the answer?

USAF EP3 WHERE ARE YOU..
    *FWOOOSH* (Appears in superhero cape)

Did someone call for me?

I just got your PM. I'll send you a text shortly.

I got a random question here. The z3 tranny will bolt up to a k24a2 correct?

I have a k24a2, direct bolt-on. trany in for about 1k miles, like the lower gear ratio. 6th is too long now IMO..

Thread Information