Close

quick k24a2 swap question after doing my research :)

Ok bought a k24a2 today and after some research i have a few questions before i swap

will the k24a2 intake manifold work in the ep3 chassis?

Im unclear on the retapping of coolant port issue, do i need to retap if i leave the factory manifold or use rbc with karcepts?

I am unclear if i need a specific header. I have a dc shorty header now on my 03 ep3, will it clear the sway bar?

If i leave the engine stock can i drive bat shit safly as long as i have a stock k24a2 map upkoaded to kpro well running my ep3 5 speed or do i have to get a tune?

Do i need to swap the a3 crank pos sensor to the k24 thanks!
    Last edited by Rep; 05-10-2009 at 10:55 AM.

What year engine? If an early (04-05) I do believe the intake mani can be used as is, if a second gen (06-08) a vacuum port needs be cut into the manifold/adapter plate for map sensor function. If I read correctly Karcepts has adressed this by offering a new throttle body adapter prepared for the map sensor.
    The coolant port only needs be tapped if running a "cut" intake manifold. If you use the stock manifold that comes with the motorset, no worries.
    You will be transferring most if not all your sensors over so have a care when pulling your old engine out. On the transmission side you will probably need to remove the wiring harness from the hard plastic sleeve and pull out the cam sensor wires an inch or so and re-tape the sleeving. I will actually be re-taping my harness over the weekend to clean things up a bit.
    If you plan on swapping over the 50* vtc do so with the engine out of the car. It is MUUUCH easier to keep track of the timing marks when you can see everything, and should you have to remove the front cover it can be done in a matter of minutes. I installed lower timing chain guide so I had the front cover pulled anyway.
    As far as the tune goes, yes, at some point you will need a proper tune. The kals on the Kpro software suck but are adequate. I could not find a cleaner 06-08 engine base kal so I tried something else. I am using the K24A2 bolt ons with supercharger kal. I adjusted for fuel injectors, gearbox (6 speed in my case) and trimmed overall fuel %. Full throttle needs a little work as it runs pig rich, but otherwise at 2% overall fuel reduction the engine idles rock steady, no knocks, good afr and pulls damn hard in 3rd, 4th and 5th. 1st, 2nd and 6th feel very similar to the K20a2 but keep in mind I am running an RBC manifold and am probably going to end up running a PRC.

Thread Information